Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

And now, the last of the stories I personally claimed for a collab to be reviewed. I just had to get some chores out of the way before getting to it was all. Without further ado, let's get into this.

Behold, the Starbound. Genre is Romance, Human, Sci-Fi, Crossover, and Adventure within a snug Teen-rating with a side of gore. Wordcount is at 89,329 words, divided into ten chapters and three April Fools specials. I've read the first three chapters. And for the record, I've actually played the game the story crosses over with, so I have a much more basic idea of what I am delving into here.

Grammar: It uses all-caps, though only for alarms and robotic voices, but other than that it's solid. I didn't spot any other errors. 9.5/10.

Characterization: Twilight Sparkle is very in character here, although the story has taken the alicorn-equals-immortal route (stating outright she's still young-looking at 50-something and her friends are married and aging.) Other than that, she still retains her need of books and being a bit on the OCD side of things. 9/10.

Use of show canon: Doesn't use much of it, but given the plot I can excuse it to a degree. That said, it does mention an industrialized revolution in Equestria, though other than that it remains much the same for the short time it is seen. Shining gets a cameo (and even addresses Twilight as his LSBFF), and the three/four (depending on whether or not people count alicorns as a separate tribe or a mixture of the three) pony tribes get a mention, in addition to the Canterlot nobles. 5.5/10 here.

Plot consistency: Established what it wanted without going overboard on show-and-tell, and ran with it, but got derailed a bit. I can understand said de-railing though, as things can go wrong during interstellar travel. 9/10.

Use of OCs: We have an Avian family featured here, who so far seem a bit flat. They're curious at Twilight's arrival initially, but warm up to her and help her out. There's mention of a fourth named OC, but he didn't appear much if at all in the three chapters I've read. A generous 7/10 for this one.

Coherence: 10/10, as clean and clear as an ice sculpture.

Extra things depending on genre: Human gets… 6.5/10; no humans really feature early on, and their closest equivalent would be the Avians. Adventure blasted off like a rocket ship, no pun intended, and the story genuinely had that feel about it. 7/10. Romance? 1/10, didn't even hit of for Twilight, but it was hinted atf. Crossover and Sci-Fi are much more prominent, with warp drives and space travel and even some battleship guns. Hell, there was a Star Trek reference I wasn't really expecting, but given the setting, one I can easily pass off as coincidence and acceptable. As I see it, both fit snugly in the Starbound-setting, while also maintaining that it is in fact an MLP story. The story lives up to its title. Both genres net 9/10 here. Gore isn't used, so it won't be graded.

And now, the verdict. The story scores 82.5/110, or 75%. It barely passed, and quite frankly I actually enjoyed it through the chapters I've read. The only thing I'd really fix would be pacing between chapters, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1