Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

Yes, I'm reviewing a parody of the Fall of Equestriaverse. Naturally, given its touchy topics, I'll have to give this a full test, and as such I'm gonna embellish a little. Let's see...

Genre is Comedy, Dark, Anthro, with the added Sex and Gore tags. Comedy and Anthro are spot-on, and it's only dark in... put it like this, the dark gets as much spotlight as the mentions of sex and violence. It's just kinda there. It needs the AU tag, because the author explicitly states that the EQG universe is basically the MLP universe, as in one and the same. Complete with Sunset Shimmer's reformation and such.

Wordcount is a whopping 8,210 words in total, quite lenghty for a one-shot.

Grammar: 9.5/10, very few typos, but it doesn't get a full 10 points because it uses clunky breaks in-story that are indicators of location and such.

Characterization: 8/10, as far as the on-screen canon characters go. Remind me to go to the author and tell him that he's missing a tag. It also builds Dainn and his soldiers up a bit, only to get flattened. So... for caribou characters, 6/10 points. Technically, this is two separate set of points, and I am doing this because two groups are being used here.

Use of show canon: 7/10, because of the aforementioned merging of the EQG and MLP universes into one. And of Rainbow Power. Hell, it's called the Rainbow of Light in this story, like what happened in G1 MLP.

Plot consistency: 9/10, if only because of breakups and the ending. It's basically the caribou getting mostly curb-stomped just about everywhere.

Use of OC's: 9.5/10, because again caribou. However, they are not portrayed as Gary Stus, instead as brazenly foolish. Though they do manage to inflict some heavy casualties in places.

Coherence: 10/10. I followed it quite easily.

Extras: 6/10, because nothing terribly explicit is shown—at most, a decapitation and a headless body going splat thanks to gravity. I'm not gonna use the touchy topics formula here, if only because they're not shown save for the decapitation and splat. It could've been done better. Dark wasn't there very much, and neither was sex. Comedy nets a 7/10, because I laughed, though not at every joke. The Anthro I won't grade, if only because it's just a tag depicting the characters being more humanish ponies and reindeer. Lack of AU gets a 2/10.

And now, my verdict. After adding all the points and turning it into a percentage (gods I hope I am doing this right, it's been so damn long since I did this), it scores... 74%, solid. Thus, sadly, this one fails—barely, in that it could do with some fixes here and there. Maybe diving it into separate chapters would have helped make this a better parody. And the sudden Distant Finale ending would have been... more justifiable in that case.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work on one of my stories now. Or perhaps another review. :raritywink:

Edit: math fixed.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1