Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
PrinceUniversa
Group Contributor

The fifth story and oh boy, the inspiration of the story comes from my most favorite song in the brony community! Am I ever so excited to review this story! Review with me now, known to the Twelve Guardians as the Mother of the Guardians, we have Lunaris!

Lunaris: Hello readers, the First Flight hmm? Well, considering what this Scootaloo’s life was like, I’d imagined this to be a touching story…
For Scoots, this is something she will never forget.
Lunaris: Indeed, let us see what makes the song and the story inspirational…

First Flight by Candymlp12
3,497 Words
Tagged: Everyone
Genre: Sad, Slice of Life, Tragedy

Grammar: 10/10
Lunaris: Let me take the reins of the review first. It seems Selena is not the only one to give a ten out of ten on the grammar. While there were one spelling error we found, it was not enough to dwindle the points here. The sentence themselves are structured well, each flowing with the story not wavering from the set goal in mind, the goal of remembering the first hand experience of flight once again.
Characterization: 8/10
Lunaris: While I am motherly, I do not know her enough, care to do this for me?
With pleasure Lunaris, here we see the life of Scootaloo as she grows from her first flight. Ha, can’t believe I did that there. Anyway, she is in character for the most part. There was a bit where she closed herself from the world as her friends and family faced their fate. While I know that anyone can go through this especially for someone losing their friends and family left and right, her character was a bit questionable but not too rocky for me to understand.
Use of Canon: 7.5/10
No such canon events going on here but for the most part, the characters themselves are in canon. Seeing Scootaloo going through much trouble and Luna helping her in her time of need was something Luna would do all right especially heartwarming since she was the first Crusader she helped.
Consistency: 7/10
There a few moments were the cutoff was at most timed awkwardly. This left me raising my eyebrow but it was not glaring as it continued with the events and flowed well. Decidedly, if one to expand upon what was happening, I might give this a bit more points but they were done well for the most part.
Coherence: 7/10
The flow is decent but not outstanding. The time skips does ruin it somewhat, but the flow is showing strong letting the experience of Scoots’s first flight (why did I do that…) explain how it affected her for the most part. The flow continues not breaking from the story set in place reaching to the climax of the story which by the way is making me somewhat confused a bit.
Sad: 8/10
Lunaris: I think this is time for me to say my part. Sadness is traced throughout the story from the middle to the end. The sadness is more bittersweet than heart-wrenching and it would be logical as Scoots’s life is coming to an end. Her way of finally achieving the peace she deserved will pull at some hearts especially if one listens to the song that inspired this story.
Slice of Life: 7.5/10
Lunaris: The story does have the slice of life feel to it but not enough to be what I would call slice of life. We see the blooming life of the young Scootaloo from youth to elderly showing her descent from the deaths of her friends and family and then her finally granted the peace she had wanted. It is best to read the story to get a better understanding.
Tragedy: 7.5/10
Lunaris: The tragedy is rather questionable, it is there but perhaps it not used right. The tragedy occurs with the eventual death of Scootaloo. It is rather obvious and it loses the power to make it hit the heart but then it regains it thanks to Princess Luna speaking with her one last time before facing fate. It is not much but it helps in the voyage

62.5/80 = 78% Accepted

Lunaris: A very touching story to the growing orange pegasus. If I were to be her mother, I would have been proud of what she has done like her idol. I shall make my departure then, thank you for inviting me to read this fascinating story.

You welcome and good luck Lunaris. This story which was inspired by this song below me (recommend listening to it to truly be in the story but it’s not necessary)

Does the song justice, not only does it pulls off the feeling the song emphasizes but makes Scoots life something worth remembering for. And the quote at the end of the story all the more makes this a story I would read and remember for a long time… here’s the quote should anyone be wondering :twilightsmile:

They say that 'once you fly once, you'll never forget that first experience.' It will stay with you for as long as you may live, and it can easily become more than apart of your life, but apart of who you are. You have the choice to be happy with it, and love it, with others you may care about, or manage without it.

I'm so proud of my sister for making such a fascinating and well written story. With one of my favorite characters, as well.

PrinceUniversa
Group Contributor

4909999 I know you PMed me but did your sister reacted to this review like this? (From 0:50 to 1:25 is the reaction I'm referring to)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3