Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
trombrony98
Group Admin

Time for another review, isn't it? Let's get cracking.

Apples Together by Thespia-Rose
1,153 words
Genre: SoL

Grammar: 7/10
Decent conventions, but this story has to major flaws that can make it difficult to read: multiple speakers per paragraph, and walls of text, especially towards the end. There's also a lack of consistency in indentation.
Characterization: 6/10
I try not to be too harsh, but the characters in this story fall flat. There's a lot of potential here, but the characters reactions feel rather cliche. It starts out fairly well, but by about halfway through the story, we get one sentence reactions to key events such as the return of Applejack's parents or Apple Bloom getting her cutie mark. Definitely needs more focus on the characters.
Use of Canon: 8/10
I can't really say anyone was out of the character, but it's hard to tell when characterization is glossed over. The general concepts are still there, such as Applejack loving her sister and Apple Bloom's worries about bullying, but it's nothing you wouldn't catch after a single watch-through of an episode.
Consistency: 6/10
The plot of this is hard to follow. It starts off with Apple Bloom waking up from a nightmare, but it's scrapped in favor of a story of a rough Apple Family history. The focus also jumps all over the place, going from the nightmare, to the Apple parents, to Apple Bloom getting her cutie mark. This story doesn't decide which direction it wants to go, and suffers because of it.
Coherence: 5/10
As stated above, this story can't decide what it wants to do. It starts off like a sweet story about Applejack comforting her sister, then switches to an almost textbook-like telling of the story of Applejack's parents, and just can't stay focused. I read through it a couple of times since it was so short, but I just could not understand it.
Slice-of-Lifiness: 8/10
I can't really pin this story down under any other categories, but this tries to cram to much backstory in for a Slice of Life. Other than that, It seems to fit the down-to-earth simpleness that you'd expect from a slice of life.

Final Score: 40/60 67% Rejected

Notes: This story needs quite a bit of work. If it puts more effort into the characterization, along with having someone proofread it could work wonders for it. Until then, it's another run-of-the-mill fic on this site.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1