My Little Lord of the Rings 18 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
dragonfang33
Group Admin

Well this was coming, and I know it's been a while since Crystal Empire aired but I need to point this out. When Meghan McCarthy said Sombra was baised on Sauron I couldn't help but sigh, since it seemed Meghan either never saw the movies or never read the books when she came up with Crystal Empire and Sombra

For starters Sauron is to all intent and purposes a Fallen God who rules through both cunning and fear and what makes him all the more intimidating is that he NEVER shows his true form. In the books and the movies all you ever see of Sauron's physical form is that of a towering black knight whose face is completly obscured or a swirling mass of shadow and flames (Fellowship and Desolation) or a disguise but you never see his true self. Sombra on the other hand is described as just an evil unicorn, and they botched his reveal right out the door by showing what he looked like, with no effort made to conceal his true form, at least in the Fellowship prologue Saruon's face was obscured by his helmet.

However what really makes Sauron effective, and what the MLP writers over looked enterly, is that Tolkein created a very detailed backstory for Sauron and in Middle-Earth canon the myths and legends surrounding him are well known and the people of Middle-Earth see the reamins of his pressence day in and day out (Orcs, Trolls, even Mordor itself) and the meer mention of Sauron's name or Mordor is enough to make even the bravest warrior's blood run cold. With Sombra there is no backstory, it seems only Celestia knew of his existence, even Twilight says the Crystal Empire isn't mentioned in any of her books, without that backstory Sombra looses much of his intimidation factor.

Thoughts?

3576582 Sauron.

Sombra seems more like Sauroman.
Tirek is more Sauron.

dragonfang33
Group Admin

Actually when I first saw Sombra, the Witch-King of Angmar was the first thing he reminded me of.

But I have to agree Tirek (in both his G1 and G4 incarnations) had more of the Dark Lord vibe then Sombra or any of the other villains

3577514 oh yeah. No pony could kill Sombra, but a Dragon was able to.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4