OC Life Stories 299 members · 497 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

What do ya'll fine people consider to be what is known as an "Overpowered Original Character?" Where is the line drawn before people start to say, "Damn, bro, your OC is bland and overpowered and smells like poop." I just want to know because I'm creating an OC but I want to know what the community considers to be the trademarks of stereotypical Gary and Mary Stu-esque overpowered characters. Feel free to discuss your own characters below.

hailspider
Group Admin

3590905 I'd say an OC is overpowered if the OC has power that is significantly above average for their species and there is no need for them to have that much power. If they legitimately need that much power (NOT JUST ONCE OR TWICE) then they're fine with me (well, I'll still regard them as absurdly powerful, but it will be at least somewhat justified).

That is very interesting. I'd love to hear some more people give their opinions about this.

3590964 If a breezie is stronger than a princess, it's probably over powered. If you want your OC to be powerful, but not a Gary stu, make him beatable. That's all I have to say. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

hailspider
Group Admin

3591014 I commonly see OCs who technically have weaknesses, but the weaknesses don't do much or require very specific/ unlikely conditions. Is this overpowered in your opinion?

Comment posted by Darth Redbeard deleted Nov 12th, 2014

My OC is a human who fell into a wormhole and became a former god and co-creator of Equestria who was banished from the Heavenverse after killing his adoptive father in a magic battle He came to Equestria in the form of an Alicorn but he can choose whatever form he wants because he is a god. In his natural form he has black stripes on a purple body, and his horn is actually a gun. He also has dragon wings that he ripped off a demi-god's back which allow him to travel at the speed of sound. He can telepathically communicate with all living things since he helped create them, and he fell in love with Celestia 1 thousand years ago, and they gave birth to Luna (it makes sense in my story's canon.) However, when Discord invaded, he switched their genders so Celestia became a boy pony and he became a girl (This shows that he can be defeated so he isn't overpowered) but he later killed Discord with his fighting skills that his father taught him. Because he is a god he didn't have to stay a woman he can be a pansexual otherborn if he wants to be when he wakes up. He tries to forget his troubled past and live a normal life but sometimes his flashbacks keep him awake and he has to suppress his killing instincts. He can't let any other pony know his true identity or else he'd have to destroy the world and start over, so he has to confine himself to his underwater lair (He can breathe underwater.) One time he brought his dad back from the dead but his dad hated him for killing him so he had to kill him again but his emotional scars will never heal.)
Feedback?

hailspider
Group Admin

3591078 TL;DR, but likely overpowered.

Interesting. Do you guys have any pointers?

hailspider
Group Admin

3591091 Remove everything and start over.

But what can I do to improve him?
Help me out guyz
guyz
guyz help me out
guyz

but he created them

You might want to give him some more flaws. He doesn't seem to have a normal appearance either. You might not want to give him dragon wings, just normal feathered ones. I suggest maybe giving him some human traits since he was a former human. Such as a human head or make him unable to walk and four legs, but since a pony skeleton makes it impossible to balance like that he has to either fly constantly or levitate.
Aside from that it looks like given his god-like status it would be hard to give him any other physical limitations. So I recommend some mental flaws like phobias. http://phobialist.com/ is a good website if you want to pick a few.
You mentioned him killing Discord, that seems incredibly overpowered. Maybe you could make him assemble an army to stop him because he couldn't do it himself. After this I think it would be a good idea to make him have permanent mental damage. Discord, being a chaotic god, could possibly mess with a pony's mind if he wanted. Afterwards he could see uncontrollable hallucinations or have a disease.
There are also some medical flaws he could have, as I said he could have hallucinations, even before facing discord. Another flaw he could have is Narcolepsy, a chronic sleep disorder (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcolepsy/basics/definition/con-20027429) or if you want you can look up another condition.

Hope that helps~

Thanks man, that's so useful.

Apart from everything you mentioned, he isn't overpowered, is he?

To me he seems overpowered right now

I'm going to make it my mission to UNDERPOWER him.

Alright~
But you might now want to make him too underpowered, however you should be fine since he has enough good traits. Sometimes writers make the mistake of having a character have all bad qualities and can't really do much. Then it gets annoying. just a tip for when you make another OC.

Oh my stars, I've created a monster. :rainbowlaugh:

I might answer this question more seriously tomorrow, but I can't think straight when I'm giggling like a schoolfilly. See you later, me fine lemony ol' chap.

Do you like my OC?

I feathering love your OC. In fact, I had to read certain parts of the description twice just to process how awesome he is. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26