Robin Williams 112 members · 9 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Salutations, everyone! How's it going?

Today, as a dedication to Robin Williams for here, I will be reviewing "Mork & Mindy"!

Originally, I was going to be making my 116th post by doing something else entirely. However, my other thing was apparently not ready for the world to see, and I figured this would be a good follow up for a couple of upcoming movie reviews I’m doing.

Anyway...

In this culturally significant sitcom that ran from 1978-1982, Mork (played by Robin Williams), an alien from a planet called Ork, arrives to Earth on a mission to study human behavior, culture, and concepts. He arrives to 1970s Boulder, Colo. via his egg-like spaceship, where he meets up with Mindy McConnell (played by Pam Dawber), a young journalism graduate. Through her kindness and generosity, Mindy takes Mork in to live in her apartment, as well as to teach him about what life on earth is like. Along the way, the two of them have to overcome several hijinks and situations, including helping Mork blend in and keep his alien identity a secret from the world.

To start off, the show is very much one of the best sitcoms I've ever seen! I don't think I'll ever understand why people don't make live-action TV series like it anymore.

The stories for each episode have such great heart. They have a sense of innocence, and they have excellent morals that come at the climax of them all. They also explore extremely interesting topics. As a matter of fact, the last things you'll be seeing in this series is politics and people getting too political, likely because the writers and shoemakers thought they'd ruin it. And that they're right about.

The acting, cast, and characters are also really fun.

Robin Williams was awesome with his role as Mork! The improvisation he used in his performances as Mork truly brought the house down. He owns the role, and in my point of view, anyone else would've really flunked it.

Mork himself is also someone that I don't think I can ever forget. He's so innocent, lovable, and at time naive, the latter being understandable because he's an alien from another planet who's having a hard time understanding certain things involving the people of earth.

Pam Dawber is additionally someone whom I believe was meant for this series, as well as her character. She played the role of Mindy McConnell perfectly, and her character displayed such great personality, authority, and even some unexpecting comedic timing of her own.

And it's not just Williams and Dawber that I highly commend in terms of performing in the series. Everyone from mere guest stars, to major supporting actors, such as Conrad Janis as Fred McConnell (Mindy's father), Tom Poston as Mr. Bickley, Robert Donner as Exidor, and Jonathan Winters as Mearth (the latter person also guest starring as Uncle Dave in episode 18 of Season 3) was so phenomenal. Every character featured in the series is also someone that I can never forget even if my life depended on it.

The comedy of the series was downright hilarious! Like the stories in the series, the humor is full of innocence. None of the jokes are disgusting or mean-spirited, as it is all family-friendly. The jokes revolving around Mork, as well as improvised by Williams, are the ones that stood out the most among others.

Now, I would like to note that there are a couple of episodes
that sort of...well...detract from the series. In short, those two episodes were terrible.

Here are what they're called, as well as the reasons behind why I say they're terrible:

1. Mork vs. the Necrotons: The plot and comedy of it was too silly, and not in the laughable way. There were also too many sexual innuendos and undertones for an episode representing a family-friendly sitcom.

2. Mork & Mindy Meet Rick & Ruby: The characters of Rick and Ruby, who are a man and wife band that call themselves "The Stupids" were just too annoying, and they live up to their name of being stupid. There also just wasn't much comedy to laugh at.

In light of how awful those two were, though, Williams was able to come out on top with his portrayals of Mork. It takes a wonderful actor to stand above certain things wrong with a script or two, like what I just mentioned.

Plus, just because I say that "Mork vs. the Necrotons" and "Mork & Mindy Meet Rick & Ruby" were awful doesn't mean
you shouldn't see them. It's mostly all my opinion. If anyone wants to see them, that's okay. It's your choice.

To finish off, "Mork & Mindy" is one of the best shows coming from a time where shows were done right, especially in contrast to sitcoms of today.

So, I hereby bestow "Mork & Mindy" five out of five stars.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1