The Sirens 1,346 members · 1,184 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

I posted this in another group, and it got taken down, so I'm putting it here.
Hey there everybody! I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now, and I was listening to a certain song that made me go: "Yeah, okay, I'm gonna talk about this!" Basically, I just want to talk about the Sirens, and how they make me feel. Sometimes, these may not even be complete sentences, just trigger words that may help you feel the awe that I do. I hope that's okay for this group, since I don't know where else I could do it? I don't know If I'm gonna do any more of these, since I'm lazy I don't know how much I can ramble on about The Sirens. Anyway, let's do this.
As a warning, some of my descriptions may be just a tad bit provocative. But not too much!

I'm going to walk through their first song, and attempt to put into words why they make me absolutely fall apart.

The scene is the cafeteria, where everyone is minding their business, going through their day. Suddenly, there's a commotion. The Sirens have entered. Their voices rising in a beautiful harmony. This, of course makes everyone mostly stop and stare. But there's something wrong, it's not just regular singing. There's magic there. It's not too powerful yet, just a slight compulsion to pay attention.

Adagio starts singing, Aria and Sonata continue their harmony. Backing Adagio's words up with that small urge to listen. Adagio's voice is deep and, at times, breathy. The line: "We heard you wanna get together" is suggestive, and likely clouds the minds of some of the boys. Adagio begins laying small touches on the people she passes. Just light contact, enough to make them focus on her, and her alone. The lines: "We thought of something that is better, something that changes all the rules." put her in a place of power to them. She's suggesting something new, something exciting? She has their full, undivided attention, and she has their interest as well.

Adagio begins laying the groundwork. "Why pretend we're all the same?" Her goal is to sow discourse by inspiring ego and contempt. The other Sirens join her next line: "When some of us shine brighter." The added voices give the line more emphasis. More power. Her next line is an incitement: "Here's a chance to find your flame." And the line after is meant to fuel it: "Are you a loser or a fighter?" They've been challenged, they want to prove they're up to the task. They want to prove it to Her.

That's the first part of the song, and i'm once again sorry for some of my.. erm.. riskier descriptions. But I'm willing to be ridiculed and scolded for the sake of my integrity! Anyway, Time to talk about that. The Sirens enter the cafeteria and go to work enthralling everyone there, and they are good at it. Every line is meant to focus their attention on them, and to get them thinking the exact thoughts they want them to think. They use everything at their disposal, especially their i'm sorry for this sex appeal. Adagio makes it a point to lightly touch many of the people there, because she's pretty, and she knows it will help dull their minds. And it definitely doesn't stop there. It's just so fascinating how effective they are, it's wonderful to watch. I like to imagine that their voices, and all their words are laced with magic. Just something subtle, a little compulsion to absorb their words a little more than you would normally. Okay, enough of that, time for the first part of what I think is the chorus. idk i'm not musical

The tone shifts, The Sirens begin singing together. They begin to sway their hips in tandem, ensuring everyone is watching them. The line: "Me and you, you and me." Is meant to draw people in with its subtle suggestive message, which leaves them suitably distracted for their next lines to take effect. "Why don't we see who is better? We don't have to be one and the same thing." While everyone is distracted with their physical performance and their provocative words, they plant a little seed, meant to foster competition. Meant to make them imagine that they could win. They keep pushing, and nurturing that seed. "Oh what's so wrong with a little competition?" They're trying to make them think it's a good thing. Something to be proud of. "Are you afraid of failing the audition?" People are worried now. Maybe they are afraid. They used a trigger word. "Fail" They want to prove they aren't afraid.

That's the first part of the chorus(?). And it is incredible. They continue to slip little suggestive lines into their song, so that everyone is very receptive to their words. Something interesting is that you can still hear the vocal accompaniment even while all three Sirens are singing. This is obviously just because it's the standing background of the song, and it's needed to make it sound right. But there could be an in-universe reason for it. The crowd is slipping into the trance the Sirens are directing them towards, and they can still hear them, even when they're not singing. That could be how their brainwashing works. But that's just a theory. a film theory I just want to, again, point out how obviously they are using sex appeal. I can't actually believe they made the Sirens sway their hips as they sang. It's the perfect touch, but it's just honestly baffling. Anyway, onward with the rest. This is already taking hours to write as-is. but i'm having so much fun

Now that they have the crowd suitably entranced, they start targeting people directly. They're good at reading people, and Adagio speaks directly to Trixie. Then Aria and Sonata raise Adagio onto a table with the line: "Yeah you rise above the rest." Adagio is literally placing herself above the crowd. Now they have to look up at her. They reassure the crowd with the next line: "It doesn't matter who you hurt. If you're just proving you're the best." Now they know their actions are justified. They justified it for them. It's out of their hands now, they have confirmation that it's okay to fight.

I don't have a ton to say about that part that I didn't say in my analysis/retelling. Once again, Adagio makes a lot of physical contact. I also want to point out the visual of Aria and Sonata's faces merging together. It shows how perfectly in sync they are. It says a lot about how experienced they are. I'm just gonna move onto chorus part 2(?) now, because i'm only about halfway done with the song.

The tone shifts in a major way. The sirens bring their voices together in a harmony, before they begin the next part. They start directly referencing their goal now. The crowd is too deep to question or care. "Battle! You want to win it?" It's not a question. It's a command. You want to win it. The background vocals switch between high and low, signifying the glory, and the defeat.
"We'll go all in it." It's a direct challenge.
They begin a chant. "Battle!"
The crowd joins them.

The crowd begins directly insulting each other, while the sirens vocalize in a way that can only be described as audibly fanning the flames. They continue to lead the crowd in the battle chant. Adagio's eyes glow green. The crowd is theirs.

They return to singing the first part of the chorus. The crowd sings with them. The crowd probably doesn't even know what they're singing, but their voices rise to meet Theirs nonetheless. Adagio's voice rises above theirs, leading the crowd in their chanting.
"I'm going out and winning the audition!" The sirens don't join them. The crowd sings it entirely on their own. They're completely gone.

The Sirens continue leading the crowd and directly challenging them. The crowd is openly yelling at each other now. The Sirens absorb the negative emotions, ensuring that the crowd will stay resentful, while They grow more powerful. The Sirens lead the crowd in one final chant before the song ends.

Okay, so that took forever. I don't write much, and that took me the better part of two hours. But I had so much fun writing it! It came out more like a story than I envisioned it, but I was literally just putting their song into words. It feels so good to finally write out what I feel every time I listen to their songs. I just love the Siren's presence. They move and speak like they own everyone around them. They are incredibly good at manipulating people with their music and their magic. My favorite part of the song is when the crowd joins them in singing. It signifies how completely the Sirens have enthralled them. I especially love their movement during the second rendition of the first part of the chorus. The way Aria and Sonata stand behind Adagio, giving her the appearance of having multiple arms is just incredible.

I'm gonna end this now. If this is a little too inappropriate, or it's too long or not right for this group or something, I'll take it down. On the other hand, if you want me to break down their other songs, or something, let me know!

7420116 This was a good thing to post! And, uh, no one else has posted anything for five months, so, it's not like anyone really has any leg to stand on if they complain.

I'd say, by the way, that the 'me and you, you and me, why don't we...' bit is the prechorus (also sometimes called a bridge, but that's a different thing as well), and then the 'battle, you wanna win it' bit is the chorus.

Ah I see! Thanks for educating my poor music-stupid brain!
Yeah, I kinda noticed that it had been... a bit, since anyone had posted. So I thought, since my original post got taken down, (without any explanation mind) this group could probably benefit from some activity.

7420132 I figure it might not be to everyone's taste, but they can always ignore it if they don't like it. I'd much rather that than no activity at all.

A few other things I'd highlight about the song:

It's an extension of the siren refrain that we heard in the opening scene, and do again later when they bedazzle Luna and Celestia. So it's taking something already familiar and then expanding and developing it, which is a great way to make something better (like Metallica being accompanied by an orchestra, or Twilight growing wings).

The opening line is probably the single most expressive line in any MLP song in terms of its vocal delivery. The last two words in particular are absolutely dripping with character. The only competition I can think of is Cozy's infamous line in A Better Way to be Bad.

Something I'm sure will only be relevant to a tiny number of people, but, generally, Daniel Ingram's songs aren't too tricky to play and sing at the same time. Shine Like Rainbows, Shake Your Tail etc, they're all pretty simple to sing while playing the guitar or piano parts. Not so with the siren songs! All three are very tricky, but the opening note of Battle is probably the hardest bit. This is because the vocal line and the instrumental part behind it are doing totally different things. Usually, the first note of a musical scale is the easiest one to start singing on. This one doesn't, it's two notes higher. Which isn't so bad, as long as the instrumental part still starts on the first note of the scale, so at least you can pitch your singing relative to that. Nope. The instrumental part here (that plucked guitar line that comes in at the same time as the first word) starts five notes lower. It's an utter pain to play.

And that's relevant, I think, because it feels like the kind of song only a siren would come up with. Anyone else, sitting there with their instrument, would start with at least one of those parts beginning on the first note of the scale (called the root note). But, since this doesn't, it reinforces the idea that sirens have never needed to worry about practical musicianship, since it all just comes out of thin air for them. It's little details like that that make Daniel Ingram's songs stand head and shoulders above everyone else's in TV.

I wish I could use words like you just did.
Not any specific ones.
Just in general.

7420206 If it helps, I don't really know what to say to that?

If it helps, I’m sorry?
You just seem to know how to use musical terms better than I do.
I use words that sound like they’re right, while you use words that are probably right.
Also your sentence structure is leaps and bounds ahead of mine

Sorry if I weirded you out? It sounded funny at the time.

7420395 Not at all, it was both funny and complimentary! Still no idea what to say to it. Expressing gratitude sounds like you're confirming you deserve the praise, while disputing it looks like false modesty, so I went with a poor attempt at humour I too thought was funny at the time...

Please don't be sorry! I am a musician by trade, knowing the terms comes with the territory. I thought your sentence structure was fine, it communicated everything you wanted it to. And you said you don't write much, so of course it won't feel as natural to do so. If you're still unsure about it, I've found fimfiction's writing guide can be a great help.

Ah, it makes me so glad that we’re both fans of making things awkward with misguided attempts at comedy.

If it makes you feel better, I did laugh.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9