The Sirens 1,346 members · 1,184 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

The Dazzlings have cutie marks of some sort: Sonata has a heart and lightning bolt, Aria has a star and some thing, and Adagio has a jewel and some thing. Now, as part of Canon they aren't ponies, but if they were, here's what I think their talents would be. Before I begin, let me say I don't believe in cutie marks symbolizing talent for negative talent (dooming the pony to be evil forever) but since the Dazzlings feed off negative energy so they're an exception.

First, Sonata Dusk. Sonata Dusk's cutie mark is a heart with a lightning bolt through it. Sonata Dusk is a waifu. So I think it fits that our adorable ditz is a heartbreaker. She uses her magic to destroy relationships, which happens usually when the guy or even girl in a relationship is attracted to her instead.

Next, Adagio Dazzle. Adagio Dazzle wants everyone to adore her. Adagio Dazzle thinks it doesn't matter who you hurt to get what you want. I think that Adagio's talent is using her singing to convince others to become ruthless. In other words, she takes the friendly spirit of competition and bumps it up fifteen notches to an all out battle.

Finally, Aria Blaze. Aria Blaze is gloomy. Aria Blaze is grumpy. Using her siren magic, this dark girl passes on her deep depressing emotions to everyone else. People usually stop caring and become emo, cruel, and bitter. In some cases, her magic might manifest in depression instead of ill-will.

So, what do you think about these headcanons? Agree? Disagree?

The theory on Sonata seems pretty solid, but I'm not sure how Adagio and Aria's gem/octave note and star with curvy things on it respectively stand for the things mentioned. Then again, cutie mark logic seems kind bonkers to begin with and plenty open to interpretation, so what the hay?

You know, this makes me wonder if the sirens were fishy monsters to start. Sent through the portal, they became human, where a dragon became a dog. That they have symbols we can generally guess to be cutie marks tells me it's possible the gems were, like the Alicorn Amulet, the better part of their monstrousness, like they were ponies that got a lot more mileage than Trixie did out of their dark artifacts, possibly to the point that they transformed into the flying fish-things we saw. And then, their power cut down considerably in the other world, they reverted to what they'd have been without the gems; the equivalent of ponies.

If that's the case, maybe their talents were changed as well (dark magic not to be played with and all that,) corrupting even their cutie marks to be something malicious. Discord, Chrysalis, Tirek and some others never had marks as far as we know, and Nightmare Moon's was, I think, the same as Luna's, so I'm wondering the hell out of what King Sombra's mark, if anything, looked like now.

Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

3877888 Aria's is based on more her attitude than her mark. As for Adagio, I think the golden jewel could symbolize the power and glory she wants, and then the ruthlessness she implants in others. :pinkiesmile:

Twilight never directly referred to the fishy monsters as Aria, Adagio, and Sonata. So when Applejack asks how come they've never surfaced until now, maybe the spirits of those sirens were sealed into the amulets, and as you suggest, turned them into fish monsters. They haven't surfaced until now because they've just returned to power. Perhaps the amulets were found by three ponies on one side of the portal, or discovered by three ordinary girls on the other.

>Group of villains who use music to achieve their goals.
>Not one mention of the musical portion of each cutie mark.
>:facehoof:

Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

3878458 hey, you aren't talking to a musical expert here. I don't know what those parts mean.

That is what google and wikipedia are for. There's really no use trying to discuss their cutie marks if you don't have a clue what they stand for. :twistnerd:

Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

3878471 Right. Do you have any theories?

Nope. I suspect the folks at Hasbro picked them at random.

Tennis Match Fan
Group Admin

3878479 I'd hardly say random, since Sonata's cutie Mark is extremely similar to a background human's. You can't deny the fact. They both have a heart with a lightning bolt through it, though Sonata's is more specifically a jagged music note.

Aria's name is the only one that has anything to do with singing (Cadance and Chryssi's song in ACW was an aria). Her cutie mark includes an 'f-hole' (it sounds dirty, but isn't) which are the slots cut into the front of stringed instruments (violins, cellos, etc) to let out the portion of their sound that comes from the body of the instrument vibrating the air inside.

Random.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11