The Triptych Continuum 562 members · 37 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

I have been thinking about how, one of the recurring themes in the Continuum is how the Mane Six get handed the Butt-Monkey ball an awful lot, and not necessarily due to anything they do. You would think that, going on missions as often as they do, the Princesses would make sure they got some kind of support (like, say, being able to rent a room somewhere, buy food, etc), but in the story "For Nightmare Night, we are going as Ourselves", they are stranded in a high-end city with no money or food, and expected to just sit around in early Autumn and wait for their transport back? This does not seem like a good way to treat the ones you depend on to keep Equestria safe.

And let's not forget Murdock's press corps, who seem determined to rake their names and reps thru the mud, both figuratively and literally. How is this a thing? Besides the lack of anti-libel laws, not to mention this BS story that Celestia has allowed to persist, saying that if one of the Bearers falls, another would replace her.

How is there not some kind of National Security statute or regulation that could be used to protect them from being harassed, by designating the Bearers as a National Security Asset, necessary for the protection of the Realm, and protected from prying eyes by a State Secrets Act/National Security Act that would classify them like the Navy SEALs or other SpecOps groups? The only downside I can see with this is Rainbow Dash not being able to tell their story (mostly her's). And it would have possibly helped hinder Clear Coordinator's efforts to blackmail Twilight. What are your thoughts on this, is something like this a beneficial tool to protect the girls from being smeared in the press and getting arrested? Or would it backfire, perhaps give some nobles the ability to hide information from Celestia and Luna, like The Great Work? Or would it even be possible to have something like this? We know Celestia has her secrets, and she and Luna have hidden information from other world leaders like Referee Moonsault of Mazein. So, what do you think?

That is basically the plot of Parting Words by Reality Check. Unfortunately, he has left the site. You can find it on Archive of Our Own under the name RHJunior. I'd post a link, but my computer is down and I'm posting this by phone.

Yes, I have read it, and it's (somewhat ongoing) sequel. You could say that something along those lines could be another sequel story for "Triptych", specifically the last conversation Twilight had with Celestia (and her confronting Luna for her comments)

I think it's likely by their own choice. As Twilight says, she's a Librarian. Being treated as national assets would involve more intrusion into their daily lives than any of the Mane 6 would tolerate.

It's really just an extension of canon, though, isn't it?
Anyway IIRC the justification behind that was that the diarchy tries to keep public awareness/exaltation of the bearers to a minimum, and that most of them prefer it that way. That means no harassment (up until ascension, at least), but also no freebies or public recognition. They *can* requisition help from authorities or even take charge, but that usually requires authorities to be present at the place the bearers end up.

You would think that, going on missions as often as they do, the Princesses would make sure they got some kind of support (like, say, being able to rent a room somewhere, buy food, etc), but in the story "For Nightmare Night, we are going as Ourselves"

"For Nightmare Night" isn't marked as part of the Continuum.

Snowflake Shoe-Hare describes the situation in the 'verse proper:

And Fluttershy was poor, just barely able to keep herself and flock fed and sheltered: he'd quietly given her such a huge discount on his services as to barely keep himself alive -- and the guilt of knowing the damage it was still doing to her own finances had nearly crushed him. But then (as he understood it) Applejack had said a few words to the Solar Throne, and now all expenses incurred during missions were covered by a special fund -- including the ones brought on by bringing in replacements for the roles the Bearers filled at home. Snowflake had trotted into his little house one day to find a bag of bits waiting on his kitchen table, with a note attached reading For Your Silent Sacrifices. It had been signed, and that note was now one of the most cherished possessions in his life.

He'd filled in several times now, and the Royal Vouchers meant he was being compensated at a full normal rate.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7