Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Hat
Group Admin

With each of the prompts (posted once a week), you can write a chapter of a story. Eventually you will have an entire story that can be put in the group folder!
- The minimum word count per chapter is 200.
- You can't change previous weeks' chapters to help you explain events in the current week's chapter. You have to be inventive.
- Any genre. You can even change genres every chapter if you want.
- Don't post the chapters because you will post the entire story one week after the last prompt (unless you don't mind spoilers). You can post the chapters as you write them or all at the end, it's up to you.
- There are 9 chapters total.

The first prompt:

Act 1, chapter 1
A fortune cookie encounter goes sour.

Hat
Group Admin

If anyone is participating, is a week too long between prompts?
Also, don't worry if the story doesn't make sense. Don't be restricted by a literal interpretation of the prompt.

Twifight Sparkill
Group Admin

Has anyone even attempted this? I'm curious... okay, let's try something.

The evening was coming to a close. Everyone had consumed their fill, whether it be food or drink or a combination of both, and all that remained now was the playful ritual of cracking open fortune cookies and sharing their contents.

Pinkie dove between dishes of rice and vegetables to grab at them, throwing the determined lot at their proper beneficiaries.

"Fortune time!" she declared, waiting for everyone gathered to collect their cookies properly - Rarity and Rainbow Dash sat to her left, staring at the thrown objects with indeterminate expressions. Across from them, Twilight studied her offering closely. Next to her, Applejack hooved her cookie with disdain. Fluttershy chewed at her last bit of carrot, having yet to be aware of the process.

"Are we ready to open our cookies and discover our futures?" the fuchsia earth pony questioned, looking about the table eagerly. "I just know we're going to have some wonderful Chineighse blessings! Who wants to go first?"

Sharing none of her compatriot's enthusiasm, the multi-coloured pegasus at the end of the table cracked her cookie in half. Gathering up the small slip in her hooves, she recited the writing upon it: "all right. 38, 26, 14, 69, 3." Rainbow drowned unenthusiastically.

Pinkie blinked at her. Everypony at the table followed suit.

"Turn the durn thing over," Applejack suggested.

Dash relented, then replied with an "Oh, right." The cyan mare glared at the tiny writing for a time, then stumbled through the sentence printed thusly:

"Someone you love will betray you," she recited.

That caught everyone's attention.

"Ah bet it's Rarity," Applejack suggested with a decided smirk.

So?

Hat
Group Admin

A reply!

Careful, Blinkie, you're going to wear away that hoof.

You have a pretty enticing chapter and with the last few lines I would read more. I'm not sure what else I can say for criticism though. Maybe Future Twilight can covertly put a message in hers (or everyone's!)

Chineighse

Very good :facehoof: :pinkiehappy:

Because you posted, I will post mine. (It was written a while ago.)

Already, it must have been the longest dress rehearsal in theatre. Coco Pommel had stopped wondering why she had needed to attend from beginning to supposed wrap-up, and it would probably be useless to raise it with the director. He was so confused and all over the place. For example, one minute he would be up in the light rigging and in the next, on the stage, behind her! It was too much. Shaking her head, Coco loosened her custom red saddle bags and poked in for a snack. It was dark backstage, so the approaching shadow was not noticed until it was too late.

“Pommel—need your opinion.”

Coco jumped back from her bag, suspending a fortune cookie between her teeth as she met the director’s eyes.

“I haven’t even told you yet,” said the director, showing a grin.

A little embarrassed, she crunched down on the cookie and regained her composure. She began unfurling the little note inside, the action easing her tired mind. But the director was already asking her something.

“I’m thinking we need to bring the carousel out again, before the final act,” said the director.

Go find wealth at Rare Antiques Boutique.

“Hey, are you listening?”

Coco looked up. What had he said? She began nodding. She could not afford to fail the director. What was it? Yes! She had to go find Rarity, bring some new costumes from Carousel Boutique for the wealthy-looking character, and act on it—fast!

“I’m on it,” said Coco resolvedly, swooping up her saddle bags and galloping out the back exit.

It was not until after a nap on the train to Ponyville that she realised her mistake.

Twifight Sparkill
Group Admin

I thought "Chineighse" was quietly brilliant myself.

So er, what's this about then? Is this a cohesive story, or are we still doing random prompts? Because either is fine. If we're all building a story, um... where do we start?

:pinkiesmile: - Personally, I would begin at the end. Way more fun! Write the entire story backwards! How cool would that be??

:twilightoops: - ... that's actually an interesting idea.

Hat
Group Admin

The idea is to treat each prompt (in the separate topics) as a chapter to be written, with a story being finished on the last prompt (the ninth). I thought it would be easier to write a story this way because it is divided into small sections. After this prompt, one would continue the story with prompt #2 then #3 etc.
But there is nothing stopping these topics being used in other ways. You can choose not to use them to form a bigger story if you like.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6