The Twidash Army 570 members · 532 stories
Comments ( 34 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 34
LightningBass94
Group Admin

Hey guys. I just read some really great advice, and I wanted you all to read this...if you want to. This is everything I've ever wanted to say on the subject of criticism in all its perfect glory, and I didn't have to type it all up! More nap time for me! :rainbowwild: Lol.

How to Handle "Criticism"
How to be a Better Critic

If we could all just implement this advice into out daily interactions on this group, we could make it all that much better. :pinkiehappy::heart:

Cookies to anyone who doesn't "TL;DR" those blogs. :trollestia:

Those blogs do have some good advice, and I think we do implement that advice with this group. At least we did for the competition. A lot of the writers left comments on each others entries and things stayed really civil. "Civil" is probably too weak a word. And while there were a few comments that didn't quite get the story or some aspect of it, no one blew up over anything. That was part of the reason I liked the contest so much.

3264149 I've read those, dot question, TL;DR whats that mean?:twilightblush:

Too long; didn't read.

It's dismissive.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3264171 I'm so proud of this group and my friends. :pinkiesad2::heart:

DH7
DH7 #6 · May 8th, 2014 · · ·

I didn't read the bit about accepting criticism. I need absolutely no pointers in that regard. Accepting criticism can be summed up by the following:

Take some time to think logically after receiving criticism. A troll will attack the reader, and is to be simply ignored. Reviewers will attack the story, and may not necessarily do some with the intention of being constructive. There opinion is to be considered, but there's nothing that says that you can't disagree with them. If you lean closer to disagreeing with the assessment, and it comes from more than one person, then I would think on it a little harder.
--
As for giving criticism, I was very much interested in his take, as I'm trying to strengthen my ability to review with tact, and in a way that's beneficial. He seems to be talking to a very specific type of reviewer, one that with the intention of helping out a fellow writer.

It may silly to ask yourself if you really intend on being helpful, but in truth, it's all too easy for those with that intent, to lose their focus through pride and ego. I ran into something similar to this, when I realized that more and more of my Facebook posts were mean-spirited. I started off simply sharing my opinions, but a combination of praise and a contempt for most people who post political crap, turned it into being more about pointing out how stupid the world is.

It was kind of a horrifying revelation.

3264254 Frankly, I'm proud of them too.

Hexy
Group Contributor

3264254 3264714 Proud doesn't begin to describe me right now. After the simultaneous inactivity and chaos of the main Twidash group, this place is refreshing, re-energizing, and an all around happy place for me. Let's keep it that way.

Aye-aye mon-capitan! Hoist the mainsul and jib the jabb! Swash the buckle and shiver me timbers!

:pinkiecrazy:

... In plainer terms. I agree wholeheartedly. I'm just very giddy at the moment and my wackometer is a little off the charts.

Hexy
Group Contributor

3265569 Hey, I thought it was good to be zany.:ajsmug:

Zany, yes. I'm being just plain Wacko now. Or am I being Dot?

Edit: No love for Yakko! Fix'd!

Hexy
Group Contributor

Not sure what Dot is. You are just full of words that I don't quite understand. Oh well! I remember you saying that you liked to write on this site, I think. If you want I can edit/proofread for you. I specialize in Twidash and Slice of Life, the more heartfelt the better. Sad is optional.

I'm working on two sad/uplifting fics right now. One is Mare in the Moon - soon to undergo a major plot redevelopment. I've been plotting out the characters lives in the past, their parents, their hopes and dreams, their personalities, their family histories (not to the finest detail, but still...) and I realized that a lot of what I had been trying to do with the story is just not going to work. So... Uh. Don't read it yet. What's there is essentially non-canon for my headcanon now and will be tossed out almost entirely.

The other is an AppleShy fic. I'm also working on writing up back story, family histories, and a full range of 3-dimensional traits for all of the main characters and even some of the side characters. (3-d: surface reactions (1d), inner thoughts and inner demons/motivations (2d), and what happens when the cards are down (3d)). I'm also in the process of planning the character arc - where they start out at, where they end up at, and the four sections of the story.

I suppose if you want to edit/proof I would love to have you onboard. It'll take me a week to two weeks to get everything nailed down character-wise. Then comes the plotting. And the structure planning, and the voice - though that mostly comes during the editing phase.

Also, I can be long winded when talking about stories and writing in general. Also, Yakko, Wacko, and Dot are from the Animaniacs. They are awesome.

Hexy
Group Contributor

3265612 I'm quite interested in your Luna/Nightmare Moon fic, but the Appleshy one doesn't quite interest me. I'm trying not to help with stories that don't work for me. It's nothing against you or your story, I just don't think that I'd be able to help very well if I'm not into it.

It's actually a Silver Spoon fic. The full title is The Mare in the Moon and Silver Spoon. Luna is involved as a plot motivator, but little else beyond lending a nice rhyme to the title. Trixie, actually, is going to be playing as co-star.

And, as Trixie's name is Trixie Lulamoon - it still works. Sorta. She's a mare and she has "moon" in her name.

Hexy
Group Contributor

3265632 Sounds good to me. Let me know and I'll be there. I just want you to be aware that you are fourth in my priority list now. If I'm working on one of my others, I'll get to it as soon as I finish it. Feel free to PM me a link when you're ready.

And... Um. Quite understandable for the AppleShy one. Sorry. I said I was a little giddy. I keep skipping over parts of replies.

Not a problem at all. I tend to do most of my own editing and I'm not terrible at it, but I do have a tendency to get too attached to scenes and ideas. I'm getting over that, though. As evidenced by tossing out an 8k long chapter and all of 2 additional chapters half-written.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

Aye-aye mon-capitan! Hoist the mainsul and jib the jabb! Swash the buckle and shiver me timbers!

As a member of the United States Navy...I find this post absolutely ridiculous. :rainbowlaugh:

Yakko, Wacko, and Dot are from the Animaniacs. They are awesome.

Kids these days...They're missing out. :ajsmug:

...Holy crap you go into detail with your headcanons! :pinkiegasp: I thought I was detailed! :rainbowderp:

It's honestly a recent development. I wanted to develop it more before I started writing, but honestly I felt rushed to publish by my own impulsive ways. I'm doing it up right this time and taking my time to properly build a story blueprint before I begin to write -except for concept and test pieces to see if I have the character voices down right and to see if the story can work.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3266286 Well just tell me when it's finito. I'll read it. I might even edit your Appleshy.

Sure thing. I think I'll begin writing it this weekend if I feel like I have everything blue printed out properly. I'm getting close, I can feel it.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3266389 How long are the AppleShy chapters, and how quickly do you want them edited? I'm going to have a lot of Navy-related homework to do this month. :twilightsheepish: I estimate 1-2 hours of my time each day will be spent doing it. :raritydespair: Imagine having to do every assignment for a large text book in a month. :trixieshiftleft: ...I just might be nuttier than you after this is through. :pinkiecrazy:

Well, none of it is written yet. All I'm doing right now is setting out the structure. I'm going to hazard a guess at probably close to 4-6k per? But that's fluid and I'm not going to hold myself to it. It really depends on how long the actual fic turns out to be. Also, not going to publish until it's completed, so probably a month or two after I start writing. I have so many other projects too... including an epic cross-time TwiDash adventure.

Also, that sounds like a nutroll dipped in peanut butter rolled in almond flour and deep fried in peanut oil.

Hexy
Group Contributor

3266469 Final sentence: YES!

LightningBass94
Group Admin

Also, that sounds like a nutroll dipped in peanut butter rolled in almond flour and deep fried in peanut oil.

And with a side of tea. :ajsmug: subtlety is key.

The Hospital Corpsman Manual is massive, but I hope to have it completed by the 25th. Wish me luck. :unsuresweetie:

I'm going to hazard a guess at probably close to 4-6k per? But that's fluid and I'm not going to hold myself to it. It really depends on how long the actual fic turns out to be.

How many chapters do you guesstimate? ...Oh my GOD! Guesstimate is a word now, according to my computer's spell check! :pinkiegasp:

Sorry...got distracted...

So I'm ok to go my own pace through the editing process as long as I have it finished shortly after it's completed? I can do that. :twilightsmile: If you'll take me, that is. :fluttershysad::heart: I don't bite. Ok...only if I have to. :raritywink::rainbowlaugh:

This Twidash also sounds appealing. :raritystarry:

Going to try to put it around 8 or 12 chapters. It's also a sad, uplifting fic. The title is The Wisdom of Dogs. A lot of it will be told through flashbacks.

The TwiDash is going to be about 90k words roughly. I want to give it the full novel treatment. Along with its sequels. Though I've only laid down the structural baseline for the first so far and have a notion of what the second and third will entail. The final one is much more open. It depends on the blueprints of what comes before.

Time periods will include 5000 years in the past (roughly) during Hearth's Warming Eve (albeit a darker and grittier version over the span of months after a century of declining prosperity and trust)

Also 10,000 years (roughly) in the past, when the Primal Herd was the main governing body of different bands of all three types of ponies living in pretty much nomadic life across a wild and open plain and the Primal magic is all that is known. I'm preparing a blog on that concurrent with everything else (the magics) that I hope to see published tonight or tomorrow depending on when I finish editing.

Sorry, wordy. Welp, break's over. Back to work.

If you'll take me, that is.

Only If you can put up with me!

LightningBass94
Group Admin

Only If you can put up with me!

I don't think that will be a problem. :rainbowwild:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 34