Daring Do 630 members · 479 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I had an idea in my head some time ago for a story, but before I write it, I like to bounce ideas off the public. Obviously, the recent episode has brought this back to my attention, but I thought of this long before the episode, so its canon consistency is dated. ( feel free to include or not include Daring Don't)

In this story, which I am not going to try to summarize based on the fact that it would need way too much explaining to comprehend, begins with Daring Do getting married and starts a family. Obviously it doesn't emphasize too much, since the story is an adventure, but I was just wondering how people who are fans of this character would expect this done. I am curious as to what fans such as yourself would expect this to be done.

Here is what I was thinking of.
Daring Do is an independent female character, so having her go a 180 turnaround on this aspect would be pretty shallow, so I think the avenue for this would be her apparent competitiveness. It is just an example of birds of a feather sticking together. An OC explorer stallion, A Nathan Drake to her Lara Croft, (for lack of a better name, just call him "Guy") has been a rival for quite some time. years pass and the two are constantly racing against each other in attempts to uncover lost treasures and artifacts, but one day, as the two sabotaging and generally hindering each other's progress to reach some sort of idol, and this time Guy manages to get to it first, but Daring springs a trap or something and is in danger. Guy, instead of escaping with the relic, decides to save her instead(the motivation to saving her being that the relic isn't worth somebody losing their life over). The two talk and realize that they aren't too different from each other.

That is how I think a relationship would logically work with Daring Do, the two partners are always competing, always going against each other, it is the reason why they would become a family and when the motivation for Daring Do's mid life crisis, and the inspiration for the story(Random guy's adventuring days ended when he tripped a trap in a tomb and shattered a leg, causing him to become handicapped).

So, what do you guys think? you are the fans, what would you do? How would you address this subject?

I covered this a little in one of my fics (Daring Do and a Place Called Home, which I'm about to spoil slightly.) I don't think Daring would voluntarily settle down and start a family, no matter how much she wanted to. It's her cutie mark, her special talent, and I don't think she could really give it up, she'd only ever be able to offer her special somepony half of herself.

On the other hand, I see there coming a day when she has to give it up, she has no choice, she's just getting too old and/or hurts herself permanently. So, I like the idea that she has a pony (or zebra) who's willing to love her from a distance until then, and be there when she's ready.

That's just my take.

Oh hades, you found this group too. It was only a matter of time, I suppose. Here, have a Snickers.

A while ago, I thought about this exact issue. Who would a living legend like Daring Do find comfort in the company of? While I don't consider myself an authority on the matter at all, I did write Love is its Own Reward, and that forced me to spend a lot of time figuring out just what makes a real marriage work. This actually led to me drafting out a story that I hope to publish once my other writing commitments are honored, which deals with your exact question. Who would Daring Do marry?

The first thing to consider is that Equestria is a land of magic and wonder. Daring herself is a mythical figure. She certainly seems to be admired and adored on par with Celestia, or perhaps merely at the level of some legendary Wonderbolts. Furthermore, she routinely saves the world on her own, because that is how Equestria works. Small heroes, not big armies. Makes for a better TV show. :pinkiesmile: Finally, she routinely deals with things like Sapphire Stones and giant monkey-tiger-freak things, to the point that nothing really phases her. One could even argue that she feels more at home among that kind of mythological crazy than she does in pony society. She does after all seem to live in the middle of nowhere of her own free will!

What's all this add up to? I think Daring Do would marry a piece of history. She would stumble across a cryptkeeper who was preserved at the peak of youth so long as he guarded the ruins of his dead master... all of which had crumbled to dust twelve centuries ago. He might fall for her, choose to finally return to mortality and live out a normal lifespan just to be at her side.

That's one option. I also drafted ideas for her settling down with a dragon, since he was the only one who could truly understand all the adventures she had been through, and another one with her choosing to rescue a prisoner from eternal torment not because she cared for him, but because life is worth more than treasure. This naturally made him worship the ground beneath her hooves, and considering that he can regenerate from literally any wound, got her an extremely loyal minesweeper. Yes, she pushes him into trapped rooms to set off the traps, and he's perfectly fine with it. That one is less about "settling down", but I suppose it fits in the sense that the concept was of Daring "being more at home on the trail than in her cabin".

Most importantly, she would look for loyalty. As she mentions in S04E04, which I have only watched half of so far, "and since you never know who you can trust, it's best never to trust anypony." Canon depicts her as someone who has been burned before, and is reluctant to put her heart on the line. She would have to be absolutely confident that her special somepony was loyal to her unto death... and beyond, if needed. Hey, it's a crazy world! :trollestia:

I think the biggest concern Daring Do would have when it comes to settling down is having this happen:

That last panel is hilarious. The look on her face! "Well, that was unexpected. So, I'm going to die soon, at the hoof of somepony sitting next to me. Hrmm. Well, I suppose this chap should lead by example..."

2343438 I just joined to get the opinion of people who would have some experience. Snicker yourself.

2343359 yeah, the thing I was somewhat afraid of people here shouting at me was that I was ruining her character by getting hitched.
With what I was thinking was that the story is about a mid life crisis, she doesent go from tomb raiding to making sandwiches in a day. The two realized they were better together, and eventually get married because they enjoy each other (remember; its all competitive, though). The idea here though is she begins to freak about what is happening with her life. When she learned she was having a daughter was the first jagged curveball in their life, and when Guy became handicapped almost all adventuring went straight to a halt. The story, while it is an adventure, is supposed to somewhat allow her to reassess what she wants to do with her life. (Regrettably, giving too much detail would be confusing as fuck, so forgive the vagueness .

As long as her husband/wife and childrean aren't annoying, I'm fine with it.

Also, I think Daring should have a son, like Indy did in the films. But thats just me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6