The Elements of Germany 32 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

You know what we don't need? Exactly! German names for the ponies!

Some look (and sound) quite cool, for example Cloud Chaser would be Wolkenjägerin. Others are just plain weird, like Lightning Dust, Blitzstaub, and some seemingly make no sense, such as Twilight Sparkle, Dämmerlicht Glanz.

That gave me the idea of a game, which is about finding names for the ponies in German, regardless of how bad your German may be! These names don't need to be translations, you may come up with your own (not the original one, though)!

It works like this: the one above you posts a picture of a pony, with original name (for the lesser known ones), the next one names it and posts a new picture for the next one!

I'll start with: Spitfire!

Spitfire is...
Spitfire.

Wie wäre es mit:
(What about:)
Spuck Feuer? :rainbowwild:

You forgot to post the next one. :rainbowdetermined2:

3126389 So it doesn't matter what name we give that speicifc character? Okay. :pinkiehappy:

The next one would be: Soarin :rainbowwild:
(Even though he has a new cutie mark. :pinkiecrazy:)

Well, it would be desirable to see some sort of connection of name and character, else you could just as well name Spitfire, I dunno, Hans Peter Alfred III?

Soarin is quite difficult, so I'll go a bit away from his English name and dub him Krümelmonster (~crumb monster/ cookie monster. Can be both), because of his love for pie.

Now one from the MLP:CCG. I present to y'all Solar Wind!

Solarischer Wind?
There is such a thing as a Solar Wind, but I don't wanna look it up in german to get a proper word. So, I'ma go with the "solarisch" adjective Jericho uses to describe things Equestrian.

Next pone:

The Mane-iac.

Go, go, English ability to completely ignore logic when it comes to puns!

Midnight Rambler
Group Admin

3126231 Heh, "Spitfire" is a legitimate German word. :rainbowwild:
3130149 Uhm... Mähnstrum? From Mähne + Monstrum?

I actually did a few of these "Germanifications" back when I frequented the #fimfiction IRC. I remember I came up with Schüchterling for Fluttershy; I was quite satisfied with that one. It preserves the English pun pretty well, with schüchter (shy) and Schmetterling (butterfly) in there.

Anyway, um... how about everyone's favourite lavender unicorn?

You know, there's a joke concerning Twilight in the German brony scene: namely, to call her Twilight Spargel, because that is what Sparkle sounds like if someone with a thick dialect says it.

So, I hereby dub thee: Twilight Spargel

And, in order for you to understand the joke, this is Spargel.

Have some Flitter!

3134913 Um, how about "Sanft-fliegen," meaning (I hope) "Gently-Flying?"
Ok, next how about Frau Derpy Hooves?

And no picture because screw you, (joking!)

I just called him Orion:applejackconfused:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11