The Military Handbook 141 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22

Hello! Though I highly doubt anyway will see this thread, I'm still making it as I have questions over the mobilization of an army in a country mostly unprepared for war of any kind as a story I am writing requires a character to explain the basic of doing so to other characters. Mostly what I want to know is how quickly it could be done, what would need to be done, how would mass conscription effect it, ect. If you need an example of a country that had to adapt quickly and mobilize quickly, then I would say the united states entering WW1.

The speed of mobilization depends greatly on the specific country and the state it is in. The US at the start of WW2 is a good example to look at.

totallynotabrony
Group Admin

I'd also throw in the time leading up to Desert Storm.

There's also facets to take into account such as the relative size of the country, industry, and how far they have to travel to get to the fight.

Good point. Maybe I'll look into US WW2 mobilization

I suppose I was a bit vague hmm? If I had to pick some sort of time period, the either late 1800's or early 1900's

Closest to the American model. They've just entered a war with a small standing army with little experience and need more bodies as a stop gap

Directly in the invasion path

As for production power..... Early or mid industrial revolution kind of technology for production and..... a large industrial base.

The enemy can only attack on one front with a river between the mainland and them but no fortifications and some industrial cities close to the borders. So no time for space and no frontier

There's a catch though

There's only one known crossing point of the river, a bridge. Plus, the defending forces are... tactically superior to the attackers

Oh, my apologizes, now that I look back on it I answered a question incorrectly. I misunderstood when you asked for the time period and wasn't referring to weapons tech. That would be more 1400 and 1500's era. Swords, crossbows, spearmen, ect

well, thing is, there is industrialization. This isn't a entirely realistic scenario and it's for a story I'm writing. A story not set on earth

Still, your insight has been helpful. Sorry to waste your time

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22