The Military Handbook 141 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

So, awhile a go, I wrote a story when I was still pretty damn new. It was crap. But basically, I wanted to revise the story, but have the character be a young Wehrmacht private. While he does believe in Hitler's cause and doesn't like the Jews (Granted, very few people like the Jewish people back then, even among the Allies), he is still, basically, just your average guy fighting for his country. While he does hear rumors of the concentration camps, and finds their purpose rather appalling, as I'm sure most citizens would if they knew the extent of what the SS and whatnot were up to, he is still loyal to his nation. There's also the fact there were a few Nazis, if my knowledge is correct, that were themselves in danger, such as any of them who were homosexual, or had Jewish relatives. There was even one soldier, Solomon Perel, who was a Jewish refugee from Poland who, through a series of events, ended up becoming a full-fledged Nazi soldier. Does anyone here think I'll take flak for making the main protagonist a Nazi?

5929134 Of course you will. The education systems of most of the western world have done a very damn good job of demonizing Nazi Germany and any who fought for or alongside them.

5929137 I mean true, Nazi Germany was filled with a huge amount of dickholes, and Germany themselves have basically banned Nazi imagery, probably because they don't want to be reminded of the time they let a crazy Austrian man with a horrid mustache run them, but I've found some rather touching stories. Like during the Battle of the Bulge apparently, on Christmas, Allied and German soldiers encountered each other at the home of a German family. The man pleaded with them to put down their guns, and enjoy dinner with them. They did so, and the next morning they just....left. No prisoners, no act of violence, just two opposing sides sharing Christmas dinner. Or there's a scene during Monuments Men, which while based on true events, is still fictionalized to an extent, where two of them share a smoke with a young Nazi scout.

Basically, what I'm trying to show is that not everyone who was a member of the Nazis was a complete pyscho. I mean, Oskar Schindler was a member of the Nazi Party, and he saved thousands of Jewish lives, he's also interred on Mount Sinai, or I recall listening to Holocaust Survivors, and one recounted how, while in line for the gas chambers, one of the guards quickly told her to hide in a drain, and later brought food for her. Or heck, after one POW escaped a camp, and was later caught by two Wehrmacht soldiers, they basically congratulated him on his rather intricate escape plan, and bought him a beer before taking him back to camp.

5929137 I found this one incident. In a small German village, with a concentration camp nearby, everybody was ordered to let some prisoners from the camp work on their fields. They weren't allowed to speak to the prisoners, and weren't allowed to give food to the skinny men. One of the farmers refused. 'If I can't give them food, they aren't going to work on my fields.' This could have cost his life.

5929137 Then there's John Rabe

John Rabe: He was a Nazi member, yet when the Japanese invaded Nanjing, he, together with some other westerners who stayed in the city, set up the Nanjing Safety Zone to safe the inhabitants of Nanjing from the atrocities of the Japanese army. He was damn successful, saving an estimate of 200.000 - 250,000 people. After the war, when famine hit Germany, he and his family were partly supported by money and food packages from sent by the Guomindang - even when their own people were starving.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5