Equestria Trainers' Society 233 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

This is a repost from the RP forum with the intent of increasing the chance others will see it and say something about it. Source book links removed since this is a more public place.

First off, I'd just like to ask everyone if they've had any experience with RPGs in general? Such as Dungeons and Dragons, Pathfinder, those strange 'draw or write something for points' groups on deviantART? Prior experience is not required, I'm able and happy to teach others. I just want to gauge how much experience others have in order to know where to start at.

So, first question. Aren't tabletop RPGs all about fighting things? They are not, there are quite a few RPG systems that encourage and have mechanics for more social play. After all, what are we all here for? To rub our characters against each other and see what happens, of course. To socialize and abuse and fuck slaves silly/be abused and fucked silly. As such, the two ideas I have don't involve much dungeon delving (of the conventional kind). No need to worry about buying books, I have them and can distribute for my own personal use, i.e. getting a group together. Both of my current ideas stem from the Society and how it and its members operate.

First idea mirrors the Society near exactly. Using the Spellbound Kingdoms rules players would start as members of a Secret Society (one of the types of organizations supported by the rules) with the purpose of spreading the society's influence throughout a region through skullduggery, intrigue, and possibly high adventure. The meat of this campaign would be in intrigue and social combat, infiltrating the highest rungs of society and digging up dirt on them to use to induct them into the society and to convince those less willing of the true natural order. In addition to running from guards and keeping hidden from other investigators, of course. One of the highlights that comes to mind is being able to use your slaves as armor to stave off others' biting remarks.

Second idea takes several steps away from the muskets and airships of Spellbound Kingdoms and into the world of swords and liege lords. Using the rules of A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying players will take on the roles of lords, ladies, and their retainer slaves of a medieval styled household. Unlike in Spellbound, which has static starting numbers for organizations, there are varied rolled numbers that represents the amount of influence the household has compared to other houses, the might of their armies, the realm's population (in this case in terms of slaves instead of peasants), the amount of control they exert over their slaves, the amount of land under its control and how defensible it is, and their wealth. Overall, a bit more in-depth than Spellbound. This campaign would have the group founding a house and building it to glory through alliances with other houses, competitions, raiding, and so forth. A few rule alterations that come to mind are using slave pulled chariots (for fighting knights or pleasure rides) and carriages instead of horses, and extending the Animal Handling ability for training slaves as well. Needless to say, this setting is more overt than the previous due to having no need to cover up or hide from the law and will feature more encounters with mythological beasts.

In both above campaigns, the worlds of the source books will be disregarded in favor of a setting more appropriate to ponies enslaving other ponies. The former being more in-line with Equestria as it is now and the latter in a less technologically advanced age.

Have you considered Fate core? It seems to be something that many people find good and may be a far better fit for a more story driven experience.

I'm a mechanics person. I may pick up Fate, but I like throwing dice.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3