Fluttershy's Protectors 282 members · 552 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Twilight Sparkle has her parents, a big brother best friend forever, and a sister-in-law.

Rarity has her parents and a sweet little sister.

Pinkie Pie has her parents, three sisters, and a grandmother whom she is named after.

Rainbow Dash has her father (and maybe her mother, too. The fandom's pretty ambivalent about that).

Applejack's family tree has more branches than a cladogram, and one of those branches might involve the Pies.

Fluttershy has...

Well, that's just it, isn't it? We haven't seen Fluttershy's family yet. They haven't appeared in the show, nor have they appeared in the comics. And to be honest, that bugs me to no end. So, I figure it's time to speculate. What do you think Fluttershy's family was/is like?

Personally, I feel as though Fluttershy's parents didn't understand her all that well. We've seen in flashbacks that she was forced to participate in Flight Camp just like every other pegasus in Cloudsdale. There were no special accommodations for her; no special group for weaker flyers; nothing like that. Heck, in Hurricane Fluttershy, we saw the instructor push her off a cloud! That might be a typical pegasus practice (remember, this is a culture of warriors according to the Hearth's Warming pageant), but it's not conducive to Fluttershy's way of learning. Her parents clearly didn't make an attempt to make sure their daughter was comfortable in her environment.

Is that to say that Fluttershy's parents were neglectful? As much as it pains me to say so, that might be a distinct possibility. It would be interesting to see the writers tackle this heavy concept. After all, they have handled some pretty mature morals in the past, and most of the time, they're handled well. But, that remains to be seen.

So, that's my two cents on Fluttershy's yet-to-be-seen family tree. And with that, the floor is open for discussion.

Dramapony
Group Admin

3084832 I kind of write about Fluttershy's family in my multi-chapter fic. Just a fair warning, it is not at all a positive picture of said parents. But yeah, I've seen a lot of stories that portray her parents as either neglectful, abusive or even dead. I guess since she doesn't talk about them much on the show, it might make sense for a lot of authors to portray them in a negative light. However, i have seen and heard of stories were Fluttershy has had very strong ties with her family, especially her parents. I guess it all depends on the imagination of the author, but the latter portrayal sounds much more likely to appear on the show.

Well, in my story Fluttershy was born in San Franciscolt, and her parents died in an accident when she was five. She ran away from the orphanage at fourteen, and was adopted once she reached Cloudsdale. Rainbow's family helped her when she first arrived, so she got close to Rainbow, in a sisterly way. Then the bullying started, which broke poor Fluttershy something bad. She's better now, though.

3084832 i prefer the dear scootaloo view she was left in a orphanage as a newborn foal rainbows dad adopted her shortly thereafter rainbow herself started to pick on her so she would fit in with the cool kids(it happens more than you know).Then dashie's dad got a raise and heard about the flyers camp and thought it would be a good bonding experience for them. And the rest as they say is history.....or physics take your pick.

Fluttershy will have a brother that would show in season 6
Also this comic.

Well, we've met Fluttershy's family in this past episode, and it was indeed glorious. Not exactly what I was expecting, but the submissive nature of Fluttershy's parents does explain a lot about her upbringing.

5007286 I actually find it kinda hilarious that Zephyr Breeze is nothing like that. :rainbowlaugh:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6