The Literary Value Group 49 members · 118 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
redoran77
Group Admin

Overall Rating: 50

Main reason for rating: Simplicity

Congratulations to superpony55 for making it into the archive!

As I began the first poem I cringed. I really didn't think it was going to make it in whilst I read the first piece. Not to say it was bad, it just seemed that it tried too hard to rhyme. It didn't really show any complex theme or pose any question, it simply told a story in verse. The first poem received a 30 total score.

This isn't a bad thing, its simply more akin to Dr. Seuss than to something like Robert Frost. The first poem left me a little hesitant to read the rest, but I like to give stories and poems a chance by finishing them before I give them ratings.

I read the second poem and was left with a better feeling than the first one. It showed less strain to rhyme and more ability to simply explain a story in verse. It didn't strive to use rhyming words when they didn't belong and it carried out a nice free verse feel. The second poem received a 55 total score

The third poem was like the second in many ways with the only difference in being that it was a story with a problem and resolution. It was probably among the best rated out of the three scoring a 65 total.

The main reason for the grade being on the low side of the scale was the fact that all three pieces were simplistic and executed with a safety net. None of the poems showed a very incredible word choice or complex meaning. They were written as if the author was afraid to step outside of some literary bounds at times, especially in the first one when it fought to rhyme far too much.

I love poetry and so I am normally fairly generous when it comes to scoring it. At the same time, I also give very rough critiques so that fellow poets will work hard to improve their work.

I believe this belongs in a folder labeled "skin of its teeth" Don't feel bad about this because it's still incredible to make it in.

I grade hard because I want to keep only the cream of the crop in here.

Congratulations again :pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1