Gun Club 758 members · 351 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Anyone else hate these little nuisances as much as I do?

There's a lot of nice pistols on the market that I'd like to own, or at the very least try out, but the sight of that little safety lever just turns me right off to the prospect.

I really hate the levers that you have to flip/push down to render it ready to fire, but flipping it up disables the gun. I'm always worried that my thumb is going to brush against it and put the safety in the on position when I need it in the fire position. The whole layout doesn't do much to inspire confidence.

The only external safety lever I've seen that I don't have issue with is the one found on the Beretta 92 and similar models where it's inverted and flipping it up disengages the safety and renders it ready for fire. It takes deliberate action to engage the 92s safety and make it unable to fire. But all those H&Ks and a lot of Rugers and Smith and Wessons, they don't have that design to them.

It depends on your training and how much you practice with it. I personally carry a 1911, locked and cocked, every day. So if I have to draw and use my weapon, I've practiced and have been trained to disengage the safety as I aim weapon, then my primary hand thumb slips under the safety to re engage when I re holster.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2