Gun Club 758 members · 351 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

Alright, so we all heard about the jackweed that went ahead to kill Asian women and there’s a rise in hate crimes against Asians. Now as an Asian myself, I feel like I need to buy a gun myself later on. Note that I live in Southern California. No I’m not crossing state lines to buy a gun.

-What do I need to know about getting a gun license
-What do I need to know about proper training
-How much do both cost?
-What guns do you recommend? Ideally, I want just a handgun and a rifle. Kind of want an AK style rifle but I wanna hear suggestions.

Federally speaking, you don't need a license to own a firearm such as a handgun, sporting rifle or shotgun. State and local laws may require a permit to carry, and a federal background check is required for the purchase of all new firearms.
I would suggest asking your local sheriff's department (the clerk, not a random officer) what the local requirements are to own a firearm, and to take a firearms safety course.
As far as what kind of firearms you should purchase? What ever fits your budget, physical build, and level of expertise. Personally, I'm fond of double action revolvers chambered in .357 magnum. But, take your time to research what you want, what is legal, what is comfortable for you to use and what you can afford.

Step 1: don’t get uppity and trigger happy; know who and what can be a possible threat around you and don’t just assume. You’re unlikely to get popped by a sex addict but identify and be careful. It’s best you focus on getting training.

Step 2: if you are truly just worried about basic-level self defense in a civilian environment a basic pistol will do. Rifles and bigger guns can increase steeply in price depending on the type.

Step 3: You’re in SoCal so disregard steps 1 and 2 because you’re basically fucked. You might be able to get some basic pistol but even then the price and paperwork will drive you insane. Legally you’re in a bad spot because your state is run by a collection of authoritarians who’s only knowledge of guns is they want their people to have them and few others. Enjoy falling back on the ‘call the cops/social worker’ excuse.

Basically expect to go through hell just to get the dinkiest of pistols.

Or just hang out with the Roof Koreans, they’re pretty cool.

I can't give much advise about how to get a firearm in California, I am a Kansas man myself, but I would suggest a m9 or a glock17 for a self defense gun if you are inexperienced.

You live in California?

Well, long story short, when it comes to getting a firearm you're pretty much fucked.

You are in the worst state to live in for gun laws...
I would recommend Youtube to answer the legal questions and even your other questions. Down there there is heavy regulation on AK and AR platform firearms. There is a 'assault weapons' registration, otherwise you can go 'featureless.' There is also a handgun roster that you have to look through to decide what pistol you are basically allowed to own. And there is a ten day waiting period.

This guy is from California and is pretty good for the gun laws.

As far as cost for training and stuff, that varies from place to place. So I can't say what it would cost. I could recommend a lot of guns for a first time buyer, but that handgun roster and the 'Assault Weapons' regulations cut that list rather short.

Also in the case of California, you legally can't cross state lines to buy a firearm and bring it back. My best advice I can give.

Is leave the state entirely.

I know some rooftop Koreans. Asians stick together. But I’m not carrying it everywhere. I’m planning to keep it in a safe in my house.

Nah not leaving the state. Too many connections plus the area I’m in has way too many job opportunities to pass up.

Well, other people have answered, so I won't repeat it, though as they said you'll probably be in for a *lot* of paperwork and a hell of a headache to get anything in SoCal.

As for what to get, getting a standard pistol you feel comfortable with-maybe a .357 revolver, maybe one model of Glock or another, anything with good reliability and enough stopping power-is always a good place to start, especially if you don't trust yourself 100% yet. If you have a fair amount of money to burn, or want something more, I'd go for a 12 gauge shotgun, since that's arguably the best choice for home defense. An AK-style rifle? In SoCal? Well, I won't say it's impossible, but, uh, good luck. You'll certainly need it

It's what I'm hoping for but I have no qualms with a Ruger Mini 14 or an SKS. Both guns are for home defense but I'd probably end up using the rifle more in the firing range anyways.

>Asians stick together.
Kek to it somewhere else, outside the silliness that's not going to help outside of a riot/gang war. Unless Mr. Kim down the street with his AR is going to move in to your house now you need to be able to take care of yourself.

>But I’m not carrying it everywhere.
Depends on how it is where you live, but don't go around expecting not to get held up outside. But considering Cali's carry laws it might be a better idea.

>I’m planning to keep it in a safe in my house.
And that's the third foolish idea. If you're going to get any gun primarily for home defense then you need it to be at-the-ready; not necessarily loaded and safety-off but if a guy is breaking in at midnight you need to move. You don't need to waste time fiddling with a lock combo to open a safe, God forbid that safe be in a room you can't get to. Some guns are good for a safe but for a simple home-def pistol? Keep it somewhere safe but at hand, in a drawer in your room or something.

Rooftop Koreans thing was a joke.

Also I do plan to have kids in the future. Knowing what I was like, my kids will be snooping around. Wanna keep it somewhere where they can’t get to. Top of bookcases and closets don’t count because I used to climb those things when I was a kid. Basically anything high won’t work.

I remember reading about one guy who had their gun safe in a room behind a bookshelf or something like that, and it was in his basement so you wouldn’t be able to figure out it was there like you might for an above ground hidden room.

Sounds pretty impractical, but thought I’d throw it out there.

Yo if you need help on getting a license I could help, I recently got my first gun which is a Glock17 and I also have a firearm safety study guide.

In the here and now, many are missing one problem: good luck finding ammo for anything.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14