The Shimmerverse 354 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Evowizard25
Group Admin

{Another old blog that I realized really needed to be moved here.}

Hello my faithful viewers. We're here for another round of character concepts. Now you all are probably wondering why I don't just update another set of information on the other races. I will, trust me, but I'll have to think that one over for a bit so I can gather the more important ones off the bat.

This time, I'll be going some thoughts and concepts over how I chose the roles, attitudes, and races for the characters.

1: Twilight Sparkle

Of them all, Twilight went through the most changes when I was writing this fic. I remember how a lot of readers were going 'where's Twilight' or 'what's Twilight like in this verse'. Which is why I included her for a bit in the original fic to answer questions, but Twilight wasn't always a chaos sorcerer.

Nope, the very first one was to have her as this world's Trixie.....That was a very early idea that I quickly scrapped. It's already been done in the Lunaverse and is honestly a rather boring idea.

The second and more prevelant idea I wanted to do with Twilight was a sort of 'Elsa' kind of character.

I thought to myself that Twilight is an incredible sorceress, but if left unchecked and if Celestia hadn't taken her under her wing, she'd go ballistic. I was going to have her as able to harness every single spectrum of 'realms', something no mortal has ever done save for Starswirl. I wasn't sure whether to make her an antagonist or, again, kind of like Elsa in a way. {Wouldn't have been a copy. Hey guys, I like to spice it up. Keep you on your toes.} I scrapped this one because, well, the more I looked at it, the more I realized.........Yes, this plot line is a rip off. I could have made something new, but again, it'd probably draw too much from the movie.

The second idea was Twilight as a farseer

This idea honestly sang to me and was more or less changed at the last minute. Why you must ask? Well, first let's talk about why I wanted to write this version. You see, in any incarnation, I wasn't going to have Celestia taking in personal students. Unlike her canon self, Celestia doesn't get as much time to herself as she would like, as she has far more to worry about. Of course, having children changed that, but still. So I thought to myself who would best take her under their wing. My first thought was Anrain. As we've seen, Twilight is getting more and more relaxed and authoritative, but is still the same Twilight.
So I thought to myself, you what? She'd make a good farseer, so I planned in having her as his apprentice. She'd probably be the opposite of 'chaos' Sparkle as she'd be perpetually calm and collected as to keep her power at bay. {Kind of like Raven.}

I love this idea, but then something hit me as I was watching Lesson Zero again.

TWILIGHT"S NUTS! I mean, to this day, this episode gives me actually shivers down my spine. No other character in this entire show has ever scared me as much as Twilight and then I watched some other episodes. Twilight is honestly a ticking time bomb, which got me to thinking. What if she was like that all the time!

Twilight the chaos sorceress was born! A fun premise that I couldn't help but use. I still feel bad about the whole 'farseer' thing, since I actually went and mapped out a lot of details about it. Nope, she's crazy............JUST LIKE ME!

And I gave her a Blood Knight coltfriend because I like contrast pairings~

2: Pinkie Pie
{If you have not read Shimmering Sunsets, well, honestly nothing here is a spoiler really. Well, not really.}
She was going to be a farseer......Yes, I"m just throwing it out there because that's what she was supposed to be. Darn it, Pinkie! I told you the species! I told you!

This was a simple choice. Pinkie Pie is well known for her Pinkie Sense and the ability to sense the future. She'd have made a perfect farseer and it honestly would be rather hilarious to have a farseer that was as zany as Pinkie Pie. However, Pinkie was just like Twilight. She was changed into a changeling sometime when I was writing the first chapters.

I did it mostly because I didn't want to label all of the changelings as villainous creatures that needed to be eradicated. While most of them are, I wanted a hive that actually was a force for good. I mean, can you imagine what it would be like to have changelings on your side? So, I thought of how to make that work, since Chrysalis {Okay, nope. This is something I'm keeping to myself until I get to the story. I've bloody well given you guys way too many bucking spoilers in Shimmering Sunsets. You've had enough people! You'll wait for Chrysalis when the time is right.} Anyways, Pinkie Pie kept coming to mind. {I'm not telling you how she changed into a changeling here. I gave you a hint in Shimmering Sunset, that's it until I write a story about it.}

Pinkie Pie would make a perfect changeling queen/princess, just like she would a farseer. She's a party gal, so all the changelings would have to do is entertain the ponies and send aid to places hit by catastrophe. Lots of love there. {And a whole nation that just parties all day is just awesome!}

3: Anrain

Yes, I'll be talking about some OCs too. Anrain is a special case. You see, in canon Celestia seems to have flashes and visions that seem to tell her what is going on or about the future. How else would she have predicted that she needed to send Twilight to Ponyville at that specific time. {She seems to elude to having knowledge of certain other things as well.} However, while I accept Celestia as having said visions, I would think them sparse or at the very least, vague. So I thought to myself who should I bring in to help her with that. I mean, she's the goddess of the sun, not time.

Farseer Anrain was the character for that. Hey, I already had him in the works and a farseer fits the bill. Funny how so far, three characters were based on farseers at one point. Anrain is just the only one who stuck. As well as that, I wanted to have a character that could live exceptionally long, a sort of friend to Celestia. {She needs them, honestly.}

4: Sunset Shimmer and Spike

I'm grouping these together because I don't have a lot to say about them, well, at least Sunset for starters.

She's one of my favorite characters in the show and I had to write an AU story for her....That's it. Oh, and I made her Celestia's daughter for two reasons. In the comic, they seemed to have a mother/daughter kind of relationship. They honestly did way more together than Twilight and Sunset looked up to Celestia very highly. {Didn't stop Sunset from being selfish.} So I had Celestia take her under her wings.......ANd it's so cute!

Add in similar cutie marks and magic types, sold!

Spike was aged up because, well, I wanted him to be a lady's guy. Hey, I may not be much of a fan of Spike, but I think he deserves a little more respect for all he does. I wanted to also twist it about so instead of a brash kid, he's a suave dragon that can win over the hearts of any lady regardless of species. He's also one of the few characters that you can simply change his age if you want. We have no idea how long Celestia had that egg and Spike could have hatched at any time. Easy peasy.

Huh, I really don't have a lot to say here. A lot of the other choices I don't have much thought on because they were all straight forward...well.

5: Quickfix

I threw Quickfix in at the last minute. Yep, she almost didn't make the spot and was tied with Pizzelle. I had five other choices picked and well, she put a 'wrench' in my plans so I chose to make her a seventh Element. So yeah, you can thank Quickfix for the seven Elements and why I renamed some of them.

That and, yes people, she's scottish. I based her off 'Scotty' from Star Trek.........But she acts more like Sandy the Squirrel in some regard. That's probably because, while I was basing her off Scotty, I haven't watched a lot of Star Trek and was a big fan of Sandy when I was a kid. Most likely rubbed off on me. Still, her accent is scottish. Probably should have stated that earlier.

6: Celestia

Don't you get tired when a character you love is bashed over and over and over and over and over-
YES I GOT TIRED OF IT!

Sorry it's just...I've been in this fandom since 2011 and one of the most prevalent thing I have ever seen was, in one way shape or form, Celestia bashing. Whether it be with her making an immoral/stupid action just to have the protagonist either look better or have them against her, or just up and at 'em make her the bad guy. I've seen this, I've seen that, I am sick to death of it.

Oh yes, she gets a lot of attention and love and it isn't as bad nowadays, but still...I still see it.

SO you know what, haters! I gave Celestia, another favorite character of my own, rank and prestige that would rival the God Emperor of Mankind. She bucking deserves it for all the hardship, heartaches, and everything else she's ever done in her life, canon or not. I gave her two loved children, a nation that adores her, I gave her things to 'actually' do during the plot and a backstory worthy of her.

I know I sound harsh but.....

THIS! How can you not huggle this?!!!

7: Luna

Oh boy, I got some flack for what I did to her. Not a lot, only a few, but...
Luna is the fandom's waifu and by the stars above I have honestly never cared.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Luna really. It honestly wasn't until the Luna micro that I actually was any sort of fan. {Yes, I liked her in her appearance in Luna Eclipsed, but that still doesn't change the fact that I was kind of tired of the overhype of her character.

This did not effect how I portrayed the real Luna. Nope. I was originally going to turn her good, that it was the Realm of Darkness itself that poisoned her, but then I thought to myself that wouldn't be as interesting. It would have more intrigue and something I could work with having Luna choose to go down that path. To be honest, it did draw inspiration a little from the Lunaverse. DOn't worry, I've only read a couple Lunaverse stories and neither of them were the series opener. {Again, I haven't got around to it, 'cause Celestia's the badguy.....*sigh* NOthing personal, just something that kind of turns me off a story.}

I mean, Luna's whole reason for Eternal Night was jealousy so I wanted to play with that. Her potential in the show was, i my own opinion, wasted in the villain department. I so wanted to see more of her and I think she would have made a good arc villain, at least for the first season.

Behold, her final form!

8: Lyra

I've already talked about Lyra, but I never did mention why I made her parents Diamond Dogs. That's simple really. I chose to make her parents Diamond Dogs for the hand thing as well as the bipedal-ism. Yes, really original Evo, but listen up. I did this in order to be different from the rest. The first idea that popped into my head was to give her human parents, but that was scrapped quickly. NO, I needed something else to inspire her. To give her quirks.

Diamond Dogs fit the bill. They have hands, are tough fighters, and can walk both biped-ally and on fours. They'd make a good pair of parents to Lyra and also explains why she conjures up hands without resorting to the old 'HUMANS!' joke. {I still like that one, but it needs to be used more sparingly. Spruce it up people!}

9: Octavia

Octavia is a bat pony 'cause I headcanon her mother as being the pony version of Rip Van Winkle............Look, I headcanon a lot of strange things. Given how Rip is a vampire, well, it's not a stretch to see how it went to Octavia. That and I wanted a few 'mixers' or hybrids in the story as to give you a feel for the place and how they are often viewed in the society.

I've changed my mind about Medley. Sorry gal, but I think Octavia is probably more deserving of that spot. FIDDLESTICKS AND OCTAVIA STORY FOR SEASON 2!

That's just some thoughts that went into the writing. I'm not going to bore you, until, well, I can put my others down. HOnestly, most of them were so straightforward you couldn't miss it.

Rip Van Winkle

vampire

Are you talking about Hellsing? Rip van Winkle's only a sleeping man in the original version, for twenty years, through the American Revolution.

Evowizard25
Group Admin

4672050 Yeah, I was referring to the Hellsing version.

4679781 I like the concepts, regardless. :pinkiehappy: I just thought it strange to focus on a character whose sole feat was sleeping twenty years.

Evowizard25
Group Admin

4680462 Eh, she's only inspired by the one from Hellsing. Besides, she's only a minor character. Thanks for taking a look at the concepts and I'm glad you enjoyed them. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5