The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

After years of conflict and chaos, peace was finally obtained when the human race finally defeated the last of it's foreign opposition, and instigated a new world order like nothing seen before. The human government uses a "new" form of government to create a near perfect and utopian world. However, like any other form of government, there are always secrets lying beneath the façade of perfection, waiting to surface and reveal the truth...

Jason Randall, a former marine in the human's armed forces, and intelligence agent who works for the government, is tasked with unveiling one such secret; an autobiography, with only one print in existence, left by the man who bent the world to his will. The agent will read through the book, and discover secrets not even known by some of the highest ranking officials in the nation, whether they are good or not. These secrets will be revealed, but the real concern is how the world will respond to them, and what the best course of action will be if the reaction is not in the government's favor....

This story seems to have an interesting real-world story behind it. You can see in the cover art that this is meant as a prequel of sorts to another--now defunct--story of the author's. I did not dig into BLITZ at all though. If this story is meant as an origin, reimagining, whatever, it needs to stand alone as its own thing.

And so far, so good. There's only a prologue and one chapter available to read at the moment, but they set a decent foundation to build on.

The story begins at the end of a human/pony war with the ponies on the losing side. It's a short bit that completely glosses over first contact or what sparked the war, but I imagine that would come up in the story proper once the main character starts digging into the autobiography mentioned in the long description. Anyway, the ponies are losing the war, and Celestia and Shining Armor speak of a mysterious "sample" that could end help turn the tide. One last desperate play they have that is lost to time, but, again, I'm sure will come up later in the plot.

We skip forward about a hundred years to the first chapter. Humans have long since established their dominion, and our main character is tasked to read, research, and report on the one book written by the man that made it all happen. The chapter is all very official with armed guards at the library, challenge words to prove identity like in spy movies, and the old marine being given access to a secret vault that few people know about. Most of the meat of the chapter is just him talking with the old sarcastic librarian.

What really grabbed me about the chapter were the tantalizing bits of worldbuilding sprinkled throughout. Jason Randall seems to be over a hundred years old because he remembers fighting in the pony war. He remembers personally hearing a speech from the man whose book he has. Beyond that, he feels a kinship with him as well, even using We when he starts reading the pages. He considers himself to have spawned rather than being born, and there are even some similarities between him and the librarian.

Clones? Genetic engineering to prolong lifespans? I don't have the answers, but as casually as the character makes these observations, it's clear he isn't surprised by any of them. Whatever's going on in this world is old hat to him, which gives me the impression the author has a solid plan for everything. Or at least has it all imagined out for the future.

The chapter even introduces a new pony character. Not a slave or a POW, but just a mare living in an apartment down the hall from the main character that needs his help rebooting her router. So the society was shown to be somewhat integrated. I gathered it was still rare for ponies to come live among the humans, but it was a good way to show the world had settled itself before any upheaval came from the book (as mentioned in the long description).

And who wouldn't want ponies around? There's being racist, and then there's just being dumb.

Unfortunately... that's it.

That is literally it. There's nothing else for me to comment on because there's nothing else for me to read.

Well, I have some points on the writing itself. Some grammar notes below the rating, plus there was one mention of Randall holding down a fanboy moment in the library. That made me quirk an eyebrow. He's over a hundred years old, a combat veteran, the one guy tasked by the government to read a book, and you write the word fanboy? Kinda undermines the weight of the matter at hand.

Other than that I don't know what else to say. I wish I had more to read so I could have more feedback to relay. I mean, I have some speculation, but there's not much more here than a good start. The story didn't stumble out of the gate, but... I can't speak to anything else about it.

Still, I was left wanting to read more. That counts for something.

Enjoyable

Notes:

We will not survive this, even if the pieces of our once proud nation do not turn and crush us, it will most certainly be our enemy, and it will be most humiliating.

Comma splice. We will not survive this is an independent clause, as are the next three phrases when taken as one sentence.

If there was motive in the ranks, it was fleeting and not in large supply; But my loyalties forever lie with Celestia, no matter what.

I'm confused by the use of the semicolon here. It was used properly to connect two independent clauses, but the first word afterwards does not need to be capitalized. It doesn't start its own sentence. A period would have worked, and so would have a comma since the first word is but.

The NALD housed two compartments; a public domain, and a government-only archive nicknamed the “Vault of Steel” (literally describing the “Super steel” walls that encased it), guarded twenty-four–seven by an elite security force.

Again, a misfire with the semicolon. What follows it is not a sentence, but rather a list of things. A full colon would have worked.

I reached down into my pocket and carefully grabbed the document, I took it out of my pocket and gave it a once over, making sure that nothing was damaged.

Another comma splice. A period after document.

I politely set the clearance documents on his desk and slightly pushed them towards him, he grabbed the papers and shook them lightly,

The last comma spice I'll point out. Make sure you keep the subject/verb relationship in mind. Whenever you have one (I set or He grabbed) you need to have a period, comma-conjunction, or semicolon before you have a second.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1