The Monthly Contest Club 335 members · 51 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
ThatOneWriter
Group Admin

This one's just a bit delayed. I'll delay the end to make up for it.

Here's the prompt: Fluttershy has a secret. She sneaks out in the middle of the night, but for what? One of her friends is about to find out.

The story must be at least 1,000 words so we can show off your submissions after the contest. Once again, there is no upper limit. It's just whatever you can write in a month. Completed stories are more likely to score well, however.

The genre limits are less restrictive this time around, due to the open-endedness of the prompt. Stories are allowed to be mature, provided they don't stretch fully into grimdark or clopfic territory.

All stories are due by April 3, 11:59 p.m. Eastern U.S. time. A story is officially submitted when a GDocs or Fimfic link is sent to me through PM.

Stories will be graded based off of a points system. There are four categories: how well the story fits the prompt (10 points), the quality of the idea (5 points), the execution of that idea (10 points), and spelling/grammar/punctuation (5 points). That adds up to thirty points. Naturally, the highest-scoring fic wins.

Unfortunately, I cannot give out monetary prizes, but the winning story will be posted to the group's front page until the next contest is over. In addition, it will be added to the Contest Winners folder. All submitted stories will be added to a subfolder under All Contest Entries marked March Contest.

Good luck, and have fun!

All submitted stories will be added to a subfolder under All Contest Entries marked February Contest.

You mean "March Contest", right?

I plan to take part again, this time with something that isn't as rushed and out of my depth as my February entry.

BTW:

Unfortunately, I cannot give out monetary prizes,

As someone that is just starting to write fics, the best prize you could give me should I win would be to review my story and show me where I need to improve, or get someone else to do so. But that is just me :twilightsheepish:

Neat! So much room for interpretation...

ThatOneWriter
Group Admin

Derp. :derpyderp1: I copy/pasted from February and edited the post accordingly. Thanks for the catch!

Reviews are part of the process. Actually, I am currently reviewing one of the stories from last contest aright now. That's part of what's slowing me down about judging them. I want to have an actual clear standard, so everyone can understand why I pick one fic over the others.

Open-ended prompts are best prompts! :twilightsmile: I tried to give everyone as much freedom as possible.

Lol, given the nature of the prompt I'm wondering how can I create a synopsis that isn't basically a rewording of the prompt. Anything else I add seems to spoil part of the story :twilightoops:

As this one's closing up, will the April one be pushed back, or will there be a tad bit of overlap?

ThatOneWriter
Group Admin

There'll be a tiny bit of overlap. The next one starts on April 1, but this one doesn't end until the third.

Hurrah! I didn't want to wait. I wonder what the prompt will be? (Don't tell me! No spoilers!)

ThatOneWriter
Group Admin

Here's a hint: the prompt involves ponies. Don't tell anyone! :pinkiegasp:

So it's not a solo Spike story? :trollestia:

Now back to finishing my story for this month. It's already larger than my one from February, and I might need every last bit of time to finish it... and I might have created my first sad story by accident while planning a comedy :twilightoops:

Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12