MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Brotherhooves Social (s05e17) first impressions (SPOILERS!)

The premise created concern: Big Mac dresses as a female in order to aid Applebloom in the Sisterhooves social. That's right, Big Mac goes in drag. I was sure this would end up as one of two things: wonderfully hilarious, or aggressively terrible. Luckily it lands more on the good side, though I would not say it is wonderful or even that hilarious.

There's a certain emotional core that runs throughout the episode. Big Mac feels ashamed of Applejack's hero status, and how much Applebloom looks up to her big sister over him. It makes sense that he would go to great lengths to impress little Applebloom, even to the point of doing something ridiculous.

I love how everyone reacts to Big Mac's disguise as "Orchard Blossom". It's obvious most of them see right through it, though few say anything. They simply humor Big Mac with realistic awkward silence. Rainbow Dash, who is in the contest with Scootaloo, is the only one to openly confront him on his antics, while the Crusaders shake their heads in shame. The only one fooled by the disguise is a stallion judge of the social. His infatuation is used as a funny and effective gag throughout the episode.

The whole sequence of Big Mac and Bloom competing in the social is well done, especially considering that his disguise falling off for no reason to create the reveal was not a shock to the crowd. This could have easily been a super cliched plot contrivance, but instead, Big Mac and Applebloom are disqualified from the event for unsportsmanlike conduct (all on Mac's part.) It's a nice, realistic way of concluding the cross dressing shtick.

The biggest shock about Brotherhooves Social is that does not contain a ton of jokes. The premise is so out there that you'd think the episode would be wall to wall with gags. Everything pertaining to Big Mac's role as Orchard Blossom is humorous, certainly, but beyond that, there's not many standout moments. Instead, focus is put more on the emotional disconnect between Big Mac and Applebloom, which isn't a bad thing. The episode is not perfect, but it has a certain heart to it that works. Looking at it the way it is, one could be either delighted over the fact that it goes for realistic feels, or be disappointed that the insane premise is not lived up to.

4754765 Everything I'm seeing so far suggests that the episode went over quite well with the trans and crossdressing communities. I'm sure that wouldn't have been the case if they turned the episode into "Big Mac in drag, point and laugh."

I didn't hate the episode as much as I thought I would. Sure all the events were as dumb as they come, but the underlying conflicts and interactions were very well written and surprisingly legit and relatable. That ending was EXACTLY what could have made Somepony to Watch Over Me not awful.

On a side note, it was cute seeing Scootaloo able to compete, but until just a bit ago I hadn't even thought about how much Dash has likely wanted to compete in the Sisterhooves Social all these years but never been able to.

Humanity
Group Admin

4754765 It does sound like an episode worth seeing and certainly sounds better than much of Season 5 so far despite its faults or possibly unrealized comedic potential like you said.

sounds better than much of Season 5 so far

Season 5 has been an overall winner so far. You might have known that if you were actually watching along. Or has that changed since the last time we talked?

Seriously. "Griffonstone." "Amending Fences." "Magic Sheep." "Rarity Investigates." "Made in Manehattan." The premiere. I'd even argue "Slice of Life." That's nine solid, memorable episodes (including this new one) out of a currently existing seventeen. Maybe 10/18; I didn't see the "Scare Master" leak, but people seemed to love it. And of the rest, only two or three were grating and only one of those ("Princess Spike") was irredeemable. That's damn near an entire season of at least GOOD episodes, on par with 1 and 2 and CERTAINLY more than 3 and 4 ever managed.

Why don't you catch up? I can PM you some episode links.

You really think those are solid episodes? I put this one in second place this season with a 6.5/10, as nearly every episode so far is forgettable and lacking in entertainment value. I'd say it's far worse than season 3 and only marginally better than 4. You can have your opinion, but you sound like a bitch when you say "You would have KNOWN this season was a winner if you'd watched it!"

4764748 Duly noted. But in a similar vein, he sounds equally bitchy for actively bitching about episodes he won't watch. So I guess we're both bitches.

Did he say he hasn't watched the others? Was that in the other threads?

4765395 Yes, in a BUNCH of the other threads. The only one I think he's confirmed to have caved in and watched was "Slice of Life."

I'm going to have to disagree with you on a lot of these. I like some of Season 5 episodes thus far, but I've found most of them either problematic or even terrible. Though today's episode proved the opposite. :pinkiehappy:

4770758 Oh, there were problematic ones, but not all of them were unenjoyable. The only one I really, consistently did not enjoy was "Princess Spike." Every other episode had some bit of redeeming charm that reminded me that and why I still enjoy the show and the characters. Even "Tanks for the Memories," which I was HEAVILY critical of, made up for a decent bit of it in its third act.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11