MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
justanothername
Group Admin

If you've watched Season 4 episodes, congratulations, you're a braver person than I am. What are your thoughts/complaints?

I can't complain it's not bad but it's not as good as seasons 1 & 2 but I still like some of them. The episodes have their moments but I wish they would try to shoehorn all the characters in all the episodes. Like it Daring Don't I think it would have been a lot better with it was only Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie and not all 6 of them, and in todays episode Spike wasn't needed at all he only had one speaking role from what I remember just replace him with Pinkie and it wouldn't have changed anything.:ajsmug:

2528816 I seriously enjoyed the most of it. The worst ones where only Meh to me.

Ficta_Scriptor
Group Admin

Ep1+2: Thoroughly disliked this two-parter. The Tree of Harmony comes up out of nowhere when Celestia could have easily mentioned it before. Twilight's princesshood is given absolutely no substance, painting her as an unnecessary third wheel and giving no explanation about her role. Coincidences popped up like Zecora's alicorn-only potion, and Nightmare Moon's origin story is rushed to the point of regressing the show's mythology. Discord is annoying. Twilight gets saved by her friends in one of the most unconvincing events in cartoons since Batman saves Superman from The Joker in the Justice League cartoon, a victim of poor writing. Then Twilight saves Celestia and Luna and does a sonic magic boom. And I'm guessing we'll have a little speech from Celestia saying that Twilight should stay in Ponyville with her friends after the lesson of... No? Not a word? No explanation about Twilight's previous worries about being away from her friends? Was that just for the Summer Sun celebration? So why was she upset? And... I'll stop here.

Ep3: I really enjoyed this episode. While it did play out a little predictably, I loved some of the character interaction here. My favourite moment was when Fluttershy thought Angel was crushed to death under some rubble and began sobbing uncontrollably, only for Applejack to jump up and down on that spot to get away from the 'ghost.' :rainbowlaugh: There was a moment of rudeness on Twilight's part... (seriously, Twi. Don't freeze all your friends) and an awkward moment where Rainbow Dash asks Twilight why she wasn't scared, to which the answer should have been, "because I can freeze any number of ponies in place in an instant and fly around with zero effort, among other powerful spells." But Pinkie had a funny moment at the end that didn't make her look like a moronic joke box. And the new 'journal' is a logical step from the previous friendship reports. Overall, I liked this episode.

Ep4: Daring Do is now real, and her books are based off her own adventures. That alone raises a ton of questions that I couldn't help but be irked by, but onto the rest. I thought this episode was... okay. Not bad, not good, just teetering on mediocre. Once again, we have a powerful alicorn princess who could have solved some of the problems here very easily but decided to stand back and watch. I did enjoy Rainbow and Twilight's little 'nerd-off', though. Rainbow Dash saves Daring Do and learns that by idolizing someone you forget your own strengths. Which... I can't help thinking would have been a lot better if A K Yearling was just an author and Daring Do wasn't real. But whatever. Watchable, but largely forgettable.

Ep5: I thought this one was pretty good, even if it was a little predictable. I particularly liked the message that Rainbow gives to Scootaloo, as it resonates with all audiences. It did prove just how ridiculously one-dimensional Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara are, which I can't help but think could have been an opportunity to give them some real character. The song was okay, (the CMC's voices sounds a bit off) and I liked Rainbow's interaction with Harshwhinny towards the end. I just wish it had thrown in a little surprise or something. But overall, I thought it was decent.

As for the rest... I've not watched them, and I'm not really that interested in watching them. While I did enjoy episodes 3 and 5 somewhat, I also found myself disappointed with the lack of closure about Twilicorn's role in the series and the way it was implemented. Even the premiere could have played out similarly if Twilight wasn't a princess. All it did was get rid of the Elements of Harmony and introduce a convenient box with six keyholes, which could have been done at any time. Also, I wasn't happy with how the show's mythology was handled. If the writers are going to make some big changes, they need to happen for logical reasons that are explained well and make sense within the boundaries of the show. And I'm just not convinced by their efforts. :applejackunsure:

So... I'm probably just sticking to fanfics from now on. Eh... I can deal with that. :eeyup:

Basically, the only episode I really liked was "Daring Don't," although I acknowledge Ficta's problems, just for some reason I wasn't that bothered.

"Flight to the Finish" was the first MLP episode I gave up on midway thru. The minute the CMC started singing I said "No" and did something else, never looking back.

After Power Ponies (which wasn't OMG terrible, but still not very good) I stopped watching MLP.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6