MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
Humanity
Group Admin

As suggested by the Royal Janitor, I think it would be a good idea by this point to provide definitions for different type of stories written in direct response to bad developments in the show. To paraphrase his recommendations, I shall list them below and provide subfolders for each in the story section.

1) "Fix fics" where the more egregious events of canon (e.g. Discord's reformation, Twilight's Ascension, Giving up the Elements to the Tree of Harmony, the destruction of the library, Starlight Glimmer's "reformation," the "Friendship School", etc.) either do not happen at all or happen differently enough that whatever happens in the fix fic is better in execution than what happens in canon.

2) "Clarification fics" where the more egregious events of canon still happen the way they did, but the author of the fic puts a lot of effort into contextualizing and quantifying what happens, to the point that they not only make sense and function, but also make the events actually satisfying in the end retroactively.

3) "Callout fics" where the characters themselves point out how stupid/awful/nonsensical some of the more egregious events in canon are. Basically being another name for Accusation Fics, somebody points out just how stupid or flawed a "school for friendship" really is or points out just how ugly Twilight's crystal castle is or calls out Starlight Glimmer for her Karma Houdini-ness or Celestia for her horrible track record of bad decisions and complete flubs, etc.

D48
D48 #3 · Nov 2nd, 2018 · · 3 ·

Do you think we should have a category for fics that simply ignore more recent canon, particularly when the author explicitly acknowledges the stupidity of the modern show?

Humanity
Group Admin

Wouldn’t that count as a Fix Fic since it prevents the event from happening?

D48
D48 #5 · Nov 3rd, 2018 · · 2 ·

No, the difference is that it ignores that material because the author thinks it's too stupid to acknowledge instead of trying to fix it. That would be like using my standing interpretation of canon to simply void the contradictory mess the show's become and declare that everything past season 3 is non-canon. Similarly, an author could decide Starlight Glimmer is too stupid to deal with, so rather than addressing the problems with her directly the story simply erases her from existence.

Humanity
Group Admin

I almost did that in my own works until I had the idea to simply apply Reality Ensues instead.

If we had to name that kind of Fic, what would it be? Retcon Fic? Detour Fic?

D48
D48 #8 · Nov 3rd, 2018 · · 2 ·

6648034 6648195 Detour works for me too, although "bypass fic" might also work if you guys like that better.

Can alternative universe fics go in this group. Ones mo related to the events of the show???

Humanity
Group Admin

Only if it’s relevant to this group’s purpose of analyzing the failures of canon.

Oops... I will remove my fics then. They have no relation to the canon of the show.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11