The Elements of the Tree of Harmony 159 members · 63 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I know, a lot to cover on a single thread, but my point is, that it is all connected.

Lets take a look at the original tree:

The elements exist as similarly shaped, but differently coloured jewels. Just like they were when Celestia and Luna wielded them.

Now, an interesting aspect about the elements of harmony is that, as far as we know, each represents a virtue and each is meant to be wielded by a pony representing that virtue. Then the powers are bounded together and controlled by the element of magic/friendship through the bonds of friendship between the ponies in question.

The problem however is the the royal sisters don't seem to use the elements that way. There is only two of them and each seems to have equal hold over them. In fact Celestia was able to use them alone. In fairness her ability to use them was probably lesser than when she used them with Luna, as showned by the fact she was unable to free her and had to seal her away instead.

So why is it that different rules apply to them? Well...look at the tree. Specifically the trunk. Those are Celestia's and Luna's cutie marks.

I think that the tree of harmony is connected to the sun and the moon. Hell, maybe the tree is what controls them. Maybe Celestia's and Luna's cutie marks actually represent a connection with the part of the tree that controls them, as opposed to a direct connection with the sun and moon.

If that theory is accurate it would certainly explain their ability to control the elements, because it would mean they aren't really controlling the elements, they are controlling the tree, that is in essence the elements.

Twi and the gang, therefore, have a totally different connection with the elements. Each of them is connected to each of the elements, not the tree itself. By bounding themselves with their host ponies, the elements changed, adopting the shape of their cutie marks.

And because of that, the nature of the tree changed

You might remember that in ep 1, the elements were triggered by a spark. A realization by Twilight that those ponies were her friends, that each of them represented an element. After the tree took back the elements, Twilight had another spark. This one caused energy to simmer from each of the elements, to the element of magic, then to the moon, and then to the sun. Finally it coalesced on the mysterious box.

Is it I wonder, a gift? Or perhaps it simply is a part of the elements that no longer belongs to the tree, but to the ponies that changed them? And what connection does it have with the sun and the moon?

Discuss:

I certainly like your theory. Very well thought out... I'm gonna need to think about it for a little while before I decide to adopt this head canon as my own belief.

My original theory was that the tree is technological in origin- since it doesn't exactly look organic and it's the second crystal-beacon-type thing we've seen (the first being the crystal empire that transmits emotions to the entire world, the second being this tree that transmits... uh... disrupts discordant magic throughout the entire world.) The tree, as an ancient piece of advanced technology, seemed to imply a lost civilization or perhaps a planetary colony project that was abandoned long ago. Perhaps the reason ponies are the stewards of the world (manipulating celestial bodies, manipulating weather, causing plants to grow much more rapidly) is because they were biologically engineered to "domesticate" the planet.

... ummm. I'll be quiet now.

You pose quite a few very interesting questions, Homunclus. The only way we will get a definitive answer to any of them is if we keep watching, of course. But for now, I'll share my speculations in the hopes of concocting any plausible theories. (WARNING, WALLS OF TEXT INCOMING.)

After the events that transpired in Princess Twilight Sparkle Parts 1 and 2, I received the impression that The Tree of Harmony, whatever it's origins may be, is the source of all that is considered benevolent and basically good. The notions of Peace and Harmony are equated with the concept of Friendship, and broken down into more basic Elements. Celestia and Luna once wielded these elements, borrowing them from the tree to use against Discord. They called upon a power greater than themselves, the power of Harmony, the ultimate force of good, to defeat a creature that exemplified Chaos. The fact that the Royal Sisters were only able to vanquish Discord with the elements suggests that Harmony and Chaos may be opposing forces. This 'good verses evil' dynamic has cropped up more than once in the show.

You are quite right to point out that Celestia and Luna had a very different relationship with the Elements than Twilight and her friends. The two sisters discovered the tree and borrowed its power to protect Equestria. Though we know practically nothing of the origins of the Royal sisters, let alone how they became Alicorns, we can infer that together, the two represented the Elements of Harmony well enough to use their power competently. However, when Luna became Nightmare Moon, she betrayed Celestia's trust and tried to destroy her. In turn, Celestia did not notice her sister's growing bitterness in time, and was ultimately forced to use the Elements against Luna in last ditch attempt to end the immediate threat, when it was already too late. If this near-destruction of their bond did not sever their connection to the Elements, then what happened 1,000 years later did. Twilight and her friends came together to confront Nightmare Moon and restore her. When they had proved that they embodied the spirits of the Elements of Harmony through their actions, not only did they activate the Elements, they became bonded to them. Nopony else could wield them, now that they controlled their power. Celestia herself said as much during The Return of Harmony Part 1.

Now, one last observation, along with some questions. If all of these ponies have, in a sense, served the power of Harmony as it's champions, then by what means do we determine the root of all evil? Discord, the Spirit of Chaos, though morally ambiguous, has demonstrated a potential for good. He is powerful, cunning, and dangerous, yes, but perhaps not completely evil. If this is the case, then is there a greater source of chaos and/or evil in Equestria that we have yet to witness? I'm willing to bet that King Sombra was not always a tyrant king, and the Changelings did not appear out of nowhere one day. I believe that somepony, or perhaps something was responsible for them. On that note, I would like to know where the Crystal Heart came from, and if it possesses any correlation to the Elements of Harmony. I'm also interested in finding out where Discord acquired his Plunder Seeds. If he did not create them himself, then where did he get them from? If there is a greater force of evil that is similar in scope to the Tree of Harmony, than what does it want to accomplish?

Well, that's all I've got. Sorry, but for the life of me, I haven't the slightest clue as to what that mysterious box might contain. :pinkiesmile:

2304487 I've noticed an interesting pattern over the first half of this season. Whenever one of the Mane 6 earn their "Keys" it has less to do with them learning a lesson and more with their actions influencing others.

Let me explain:

In Rarity Takes Manehattan, Rarity's refusal to allow herself to become like Suri restored Coco's faith in the inherent goodness of pony-kind and for that she received her key: A Spool of Rainbow Thread.

In Rainbow Falls, Rainbow gave up her chance to compete in the Equestria Games with the Wonderbolts so she could support her friends and represent the town she loves. This level of devotion made Spitfire and Fleetfoot see the error of there ways and ultimately caused them to repent for abandoning Soarin in the first place. For this Rainbow earned her key: the Wonderbolt Metal.

Finally, in today's episode Pinkie Pride, Pinkie learned that years ago her desire to bring happiness to others was what helped Cheese Sandwich overcome his shyness and ultimately helped him discover his own desire for spreading happiness all across Equestria. Which earned her her key: Boneless.

The point I'm trying to make is that these 'trials' the Mane 6 are going through are not to show that they can overcome their own weaknesses, but rather to show that they truly are worthy of the Elements because their virtues are strong enough to change the lives of others.

2304487 I think I'd like to introduce this group to the concept of "Spirits of Harmony".
You know Discord is the spirit of chaos? This theory suggests that there are also spirits embodying the Elements of Harmony. And those spirits are responsible for things like the comic disappearing in Power Ponies and the "Rainbow eyes"-thing that happens whenever one of the mane 6 gets their key.
There have been quite a few coincidences involving the mane 6 leading up to their friendship; I'd also like to bring up 2747710 's suggestion that the mane 6 are being tested for their worthiness--but not to wield the elements--to fulfill some ancient prophecy or maybe help fight a dark/chaotic force to maintain balance in the universe or something.

At least my personal theory for Celestia and Luna being able to wield the elements (pre-S4) was that one or both of them was a former bearer, with their own set of friends that each represented the remaining elements. It's the memory of those fallen former friends that allows them to call upon their power.

Post-S4, no idea how that works with the sisters plucking elements from the tree, though. Perhaps the EoH have changed form? Maybe they were "reborn" through a magical seed?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6