Warriors of Equestria 1,781 members · 1,454 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

For those who have human characters who seem way too OP with a bow.

https://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk

Wonder if there’s someone who did the same thing with swords.

wow i am more like a sniper so a bow or sniper gun works for me

Lars Andersen is a lying ass. What he does is trick shooting that has nothing to do with real, historical war archery:

THAT is actual warbows in action. Lars couldn’t even draw one of those things, let alone pull his little stunts with them.

Look right below
Yep long bows were a symbol of strength, it was even a symbol of Heracles/Hercules.

I’ve been studying warbow archery for about six years, now. People just don’t seem to get that a bow isn’t just . . . pull back the string and then the arrows penetrates anything it hits. It’s a spring. Drawing it back compresses it, which builds energy. But it also takes energy to do so. Drawing a bow of any decent draw weight requires a LOT of physical strength.

Most of the bows that Lars uses are nothing more than practice bows and youth target bows, probably don’t have a draw weight of much over twenty pounds of pressure. Most warbows have draw weights of 80 - 100 pounds, minimum.

Suffice to say, the classic pop culture image of the skinny teenager using a bow, while the big muscle bound dude swings a sword around, should actually be reversed. A bow requires a lot of physical strength, while the sword actually requires relatively little.

Yeah, it is weird to me. Me and my best friend understand a little bit. Long bow men had to train I guess for ten years in order to effectively use it, but they could put out arrows with more range, accuracy, and even rate of fire than a musket, so they are even on the super soldier TV tropes page.

We should have an archer category in the stories.

Basically, archery in medieval England was a required practice by all the middle class Yeoman, which they would start training in by the age of seven. By the time they were between fourteen and sixteen, they would be ready to be made acting members of England’s military, where they would be paid a wage of six pence a day, along with any loot they could take during the campaign. The best archers were paid twelve pence a day, and required to own a palfrey, a lower cost pony, popular amongst the merchant classes in Europe, due to it’s stamina and ability to hold a fast walking pace for long periods of time.

Also, considering that a flintlock musket takes around thirty - forty-five seconds to reload, meaning that it has a rate of fire if around two shots a minute, while medieval archers could loose anywhere from eight to twelve arrows in the same amount of time . . . Yeah, you could say they had a superior rate if fire.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9