The Perpetual Discussion Group 138 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

Rarity's mom and dad

Pinkie's third sister

Shining armor.

What is similar between these three? Simple, they are all family members that popped out of nowhere and were never mentioned before. Heck, I could add Twilight's mom and dad to that list from my perspective (yeah, I was thinking Twilight's mom and pop were dead until Cutie Mark Chronicles) There is just a small difference. When we saw the first two, it was just met with a "Huh? OH, that is interesting. They never mentioned them but I guess we can work it in."

Then we move to Shining, and when he was introduced he was met with 'contorversy' to say the least. "He was just there to promote the toys, he was just created for the entire wedding line, why did Twilight never mentioned him. ECT ECT" The same questions I could ask about Rarity's mom and pop. There is one difference though...Do you see it? Its because he has a toy and the others don't

So, do you guys think that the hate on Shining, Cadence, Breezies, and more would've been lessened if Hasbro was not a bunch of spoilerholics run by a suicidal zebra who can't keep their big mouth shut and did not release a toy of them? Do you think we would levy the call for "This was just for the toy!" had Hasbro waited say 1-2 months before saying "We have a toy of that?"

I think it would've changed a lot, but...what do you think?

Debonair
Group Admin

3018123 Skyla. Besides I don't go through the pink aisle unless my neice's brithday or Christmas is close.

I became a brony right after season two was put on Netflix, so I kinda missed all the excitement. Personally, I don't mind that they dropped them in there. It was abrupt, but it was a nice surprise too.

To be fair, I think the show writers handled all the toy-based plotlines (yes, even the Coronation) very well when you consider the timeframe they were given.

What's really worth complaining about is that Hasbro can't make an accurate and not-horrifying cuddly toy (stuffed animal) to save their lives.

Are you kidding, the only other team that done this fantastic of a job handling the toy line stuff was "Beast Wars. And that team turned the desire to wipe out one character into one of the greatest running gags in TF history and created the best death sequence in the franchise history (Dinobot's death is golrius). I agree with you, they have been doing a great job.

That's the way it is always is to me when I meet a new family member, a nice surprise. This is coming from a guy who loves sentai and has had to deal with random family members coming in all of the time.

I just wonder, would there be a lot less hate if we never known? Would the fans have any ire against Shining if he wasn't spoiled for us all?

3018585 Perhaps. But it's hard for me to say since I wasn't in the loop back then. Although, I never have seen a lot of "hate" towards Shining anywhere. Flash Sentry is the one who is hated on--as far as I've seen--and for good reason.

3018405 Which is precisely why I haven't bought one myself. I mean, come on guys! Do these actually look cute to you?!

3018585 Just fyi, I don't follow beast wars so i can't tell how sarcastic you're being.

I'm not being sarcastic. Trust me, I am being completly honest.

3018123 It's interesting that you assume that their parents are dead until proven otherwise. Is there something Freudian there, or am I just reading too deep?

Reading too deep, It just comes from my love of Batman, old fantasy tropes, and tragic backstories building a character up.

Frankly, we shouldn't get butthurt at these things. At all. It's a good show with a good community, and I'm grateful enough for that.

...Yeah, you are right. and we in the fanfic community are awesome indeed.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Hmm.... Well I don't mind them putting in a random character here and there. It is a show targeted for a younger audience built to entertain an older crowed. I am disappointed that they have yet to put a solid background on the characters or even mention them.

I guess that is what I liked about Lord Tirek. Anyone who has done research on MLP's prior generations they would of saw him coming a mile away. Also, with the reference to 'It's About Time' it helped bring in the blast from the past in the newest episode. I'm alright in introducing brand new characters, I also support the bringing in new characters for toy products. I just don't like them bringing in a character that will never be heard from again. They did that with Rarity's parents and they did that with Lightning Dust.

As was mentioned before though, at least we have fan work to help fill in any gaps.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14