Science! in Equestria 509 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Pivotal role of diffraction in friendship magic
COMMUNICATIONS

Flim1*, Flam1*

1 Equestria Independent Research Laboratory, 5 Aquamarine Avenue, Equestria, 43912

*These authors contributed equally. Correspondence to either author. 

How to cite this article: Flim, Flam. (2023). Pivotal role of diffraction in friendship magic. M. J. of Fr., 1(1), 4-5.

Abstract

This paper reports that a creature’s friendship magic can be represented as quantised packets of harmonic energy, similar to electromagnetic radiation. To investigate, theoretical mathematical  calculations were conducted to affirm the possibility of diffraction occurring between different frequencies of harmonic energy. The results showed that constructive and destructive interference of harmonic energy quanta are possible. Thus, it is believed that this paper paves the way for further physical tests with tuned metrological instruments across the realm, thereby adding a new layer of understanding to harmonic magic. 

Introduction

Although friendship magic has been instrumental in shaping Equestria’s history [1], little is known about its origins. Ever since friendship fire had dispelled the wendigos, there has been much discourse on (1) how the bond between individuals results in friendship magic, (2) the relationship between the bond among individuals and friendship magic and (3) how friendship magic can be wielded by some individuals towards the greater good. Despite thousands of years of research and current studies [2], these questions have remained unanswered. 

Recently, researchers from Saddle Arabia had introduced the concept of diffraction [3] through double and single slit experiments, which affirmed work done by Astride [4] of the wave-particle duality of light. Other researchers in Manehatten had also deciphered the frequency of light emitted from magical beams when cast by different unicorns [5], which corresponds to that of the visible light spectrum. 

When friendship magic was wielded against villains, past observers have witnessed intense, visible light emitted in a multitude of colors, hence the term “rainbow lasers”. Analogous to the experiments done by Lantha [5], this paper seeks to introduce a new entity known as “harmonic frequency” to help elucidate the frequency of light emitted from harmonic magic, which itself stems from friendship. Therefore, the energy of harmonic magic can be mathematically quantified when multiple sources of harmonic magic come together in friendship by extrapolating the concepts of constructive interference and diffraction…

Discussion

All definitions of symbols are standard and can be found in Supporting Information (Table S1). 

For a wavefunction, it may be expressed in the following equation:

consisting of the amplitude and phase aspect of the wave. 

Diffraction is defined as the scattering of waves when passing through an obstacle, where each point on the wave acts as a “wavelet”, a point source for the next wavefront. Interference is then the summation of these wavefunctions: 

The energy of the emitted light from the magical beam can be represented in a quanta of energy, namely: 

Harmonic frequency is then defined by beta,

Unfortunately, momentum cannot be defined independently of mass. Physically, magical beams have no mass…

Get full access to this article

View all available purchase options and get full access to this article.

Purchase access to this article (24 hours): 50 bits 

Purchase access to this article (unlimited): 100 bits

Subscribe to the Modern Journal of Friendship published monthly by Neighley, Equestria’s latest and cutting edge science on friendship. 

Subscription (1 year): 700 bits

Contact your academic library for assistance. 

References
[1] Sparkle, Twilight. Journal of Friendship, 5. 
[2] Dawn, Luster. M. J. of Fr., 1(1), 1. 
[3] Hay, et al. J. of S. A. Phy., 2(3), 12. 
[4] Astride, Glitter. J. of. M. Phy., 10(3), 15. 
[5] Lantha, Daisy. J. of Optics, 2301. 
[6] Span, Van. J. of M. Phy., 4(3), 49. 

Assuming that Neighley is a riff on Wiley, looks like Flim and Flam are the ones being taken advantage of for once, considering the publishing fees...

Please tell me Equestria has an equivalent of scihub and libgen...

Here's hoping post-season 9 Twilight Sparkle takes a stand against predatory academic publishing practices...

Until somepony “cracks” the magical paywall, Neighley will be earning mountains of bits.

Publish or perish oh brother of mine!

Needs more singing. :rainbowlaugh:

Oh em gee, physics 301. Had to take that course twice to get the credit I needed to go to uni. Trying to wrap my mind around that math did not help! :applejackconfused:

I seem to recall using coherent beams of a single wavelength to do that single and double slit diffraction experiment.

Yes lasers or at least one laser at a time. Seems I'm being a bit redundant with my "coherent beams of a single wavelength" as the beams of light in the double slit experiment have to be of the same wavelength to be coherent and demonstrate additive and subtractive interference. I barely passed that course and that was the _easier_ version of Physics 301!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6