Science! in Equestria 508 members · 543 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

What are your thoughts on it? Could it be a hidden canon? If so, to what level they'd exist?

~Twi

I can see there being prostetics... they're just hardly distinguishable from the real leg due to magic:trollestia:

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

I could see this being true. But I could also see that some ponies would choose not to disguise it for... personal reasons.

Edit: Or maybe the ponies still haven't figured out how to handle things to look "natural-like"
~Twi

The comics have shown pirate ponies, so they should have really shoddy stuff as canon, if you count the comics. I imagine there are also more expensive prosthetic legs that function more like true limbs, but I'm uncertain how much ease of use and complexity of tasks they could perform. For instance, walking would be the main function, although quadrupeds can manage on three (it's just very awkward. Hell, some can be trained on two, but that's got to be uncomfortable for a real quadruped who isn't built for it to rely on? Just a guess.)

We've seen that they use wheel-chairs and crutches, so I think prosthetic limbs are probably somewhat expensive. Not a replacement for broken or paralyzed limbs, obviously, but considering a somewhat relative price range, I'm assuming it would be cheaper to just buy a wheel chair if you lose a back leg. Front leg might work with crutches, but might be easier just shoving a stick in there, if you're cheap.

My theory is they probably have more advanced limbs than we might expect, if only because it's not quite as hard to replace the joints for a pony (at least as far as balance goes. Maybe?) I admit I haven't done any research yet, so correct me if I'm wrong! My bigger question is, if it's a front limb, can they hold things in their hooves? Presumably, oddly enough, they could theoretically hold things in their back hooves too (since they can hold things in their hair; this is canon for most ponies as of season 4 it seems.) I say this, because I'm assuming it's some form of magic that lets them hold anything at all. The hooves simply don't bother trying to represent this as physically as the hair does (they do curve the foreleg around objects, but this isn't what always keeps them there) and my guess is they're usually good at balancing things, using a similar magical field. A personal gravitational field or some other form of magnetism? I'm betting it works just like a unicorn's telekinesis. The upside is that the unicorn doesn't have to directly touch the object to interact with it, but it might be the same level of skill (since some ponies can do things that should be impossible for anything but a unicorn otherwise.)

My bigger question is, would the fact the prosthetic isn't a living part of them deter their grip in that limb? If so, how would they circumvent that? :trollestia:

I'm not sure. It would require a specific spell, so you'd need a unicorn to apply it, unless it came with an enchantment that can be activated by anyone. You'd probably need a unicorn to enchant it though. :derpytongue2:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4