Power Ponies HQ! 429 members · 218 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

A big common gripe with Humdrum is how he's portrayed as a useless sidekick that the Power Ponies feel sorry for. And Spike goes on and on about how it's always his fault the villain nearly triumphs and that he gets in the way mostly because he sees himself that way and tries to hide that fact.

But what if instead Humdrum is actually more competent and capable in fighting than the Power Ponies and the villains they face know. Aside from the origin how it was his idea to convince the team to get along and work together for real, what if he really was a capable fighter despite his smaller stature, but the rest of the team overshadow and ignore him acting like he can't do as much as they can.

That would've been a better connection to him and Spike in the episode. Spike feels like the girls didn't need him because he thought they considered him useless and not helpful, but couldn't it have just been he was upset they were underestimating him just like the Power Ponies underestimate Humdrum?

I feel like there's two different questions here, so I'll answer the second one first.

Spike feels like the girls didn't need him because he thought they considered him useless and not helpful, but couldn't it have just been he was upset they were underestimating him just like the Power Ponies underestimate Humdrum?

I don't feel like the girls are underestimating him in the episode.

They trust him to guide them through the comic, and when things do go belly up, they trust him to come to their rescue.

At worst they aren't rushing out to make space for him to help, because they don't see a need for him to bother.

He also does a bad job of communicating what he wants and gives up with very little attempt to clarify his desires.

Realistically, I get why he's upset.

Practically, I don't see them as willfully ignoring him, just being distracted by other things. I personally never had a problem with the episode.

It treats Spike far better than what he got in Season 1, and it would be a easy mistake for a caretaker to make.

But what if instead Humdrum is actually more competent and capable in fighting than the Power Ponies and the villains they face know.

The only thing we arguably know for sure about Humdrum, is that he gave away the location of the static orb on accident.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that he chats with villains to distract and stall them (and because he appreciates a vigorous conversation).

Maniac was able to get him to lower his guard, because she's just that disarming in casual conversation, or because this is one of his earlier attempts at trying it.

That's just my head cannon, but I do think it adds more depth to the character.

The comics seem to portray him as a klutz, but a klutz who took down Pharaoh Fetlock with his bumbling.

So maybe there's more to him than meets the eye. Of course this is pretty much speculation on what's only secondary cannon at best.

It's also clear based Spike's time in the role that his outfit that keeps tripping him up, so maybe some revisions would improve his efficiency. But that may just be a Spike issue.

A big common gripe with Humdrum is how he's portrayed as a useless sidekick that the Power Ponies feel sorry for.

I feel like the difference between a comedic character and a good one, is a willingness to flesh them out.

Superhero rouges galleries are largely unsuccessful. But people still like them, because those villains are usually good characters.

So if Humdrum gets more exposure and character development, then he'll graduate from comedic foil, to well rounded character.

A little like Spike, now that I think about it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2