Human Magic 1,867 members · 760 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

Okay this idea is weird, even by my standards. Before I get into that, a question. Are you all familiar with the 7 deadly sins/7 capital vices/ 7 Fatal Desires? For those who aren't, they are the vices/sins that are said to bring someone to ruin if they indulge in them too much.

They are: Lust, Envy, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Gluttony, and Pride.

Here's the idea I had: take the sins/vices and apply them to magic.
Basically, take each of the listed above and name/create a magic that embodies it. For example, Sloth as a magic would allow the user to many things without any effort. The magic that best suits this imagination-based creation.

For bonus points, take of each on the listed and create a magic item/weapon that best embodies it. For example, I imagine Envy as a shape-shifting weapon that copies the weapon that the opponent is using.

Hmm, you’ve just given me an idea for a story!

I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks.

By the way, I'd totally go for either the Ring (highest quality of life) or the Gun (prolong my life and I'm already damned anyway, so what's the harm in killing?)

Yes, actually. I found the idea of taking the sins and embodying them interesting, so I wanted to apply it to magic.

Actually, I didn't have a fic idea in mind when I came up with this concept. That being said, I like your idea of "Sin Harvesting". Anyway, if you're at all curious, I did talk with some friends about the idea of "Sin Weapons" (each sin embodied in a weapon). If I remember, they were:

Pride: Shape shifting weapon. It becomes whatever weapon the current wielder is most comfortable with. It becomes the best weapon of that type (If it becomes a sword, It would be Excalibur).
Envy: Shape shifting weapon. It becomes whatever weapon the wielder's opponent is using.
Sloth: Either an ax that is too heavy to use or a hand gun that maintains itself, has infinite ammo and bullets go where you want them to (without the need for aim).
Lust: Either a whip or a sword that charms the people it hits into falling for the wielder.
Greed: Either a sword that turns the things it cuts into gold or armor that steals power from people.
Wrath: Either gauntlets or claws that make the wielder easy to anger and null out pain. Anyone attacked by the wielder also becomes more angry.
Gluttony: A scythe that can repair itself and heal its user by devouring the souls of those it kills. Also it allows the wielder to eat magic, as a way to make up for the downside that the wielder is almost always hungry now.

(By the way, I made these up on the spot)

To add on, I even made up "The Nobility of Sin". Basically, I combined one of the sins with a title of nobility and assigned one to myself and each of my friends. The only ones that didn't go used were "The Lord of Greed" and "The King of Pride". By the way, is there a major difference between royalty and nobility? I ask because I couldn't find a seventh title of nobility for Pride.

nobility have lots of money and pull as governers and stuff
royalty has absolute power as the rulers of the country
unless politics, royalty > nobility always
also i think i would be a great candidate of "The King of Pride" but im not too sure if you consider me a friend

I think for pride it would be instead of being the best version of the weapon it would become extremely expensive looking and give you enough skill that you call yourself the best swordsman (which, if you actually tried, could actually learn from that and eventually become that good with the weapon, but never the best using it)
if you were level 1 with the weapon, it'd make you level 95 with swordsmanship as long as you have it,
but you're stuck at level 95, never growing to 100

I think a better version of sloth would be an axe that looks wicked as hell (spikes and everything) and it makes others tired while you get filled with energy

greed isn't to take from others, it's to not give to others; the opposite of generosity
so I think greed would instead of taking from others, it would make you stronger when someone is taking from you (or what you believe is yours)

envy would probably steal the enemies power, though

lust would probably be the same, though it makes you a nymphomaniac (one who is constantly horny)

wrath is good but I think it should make others feel more pain instead of making them angry

We've crossed paths a few times, so I feel a sense of familiarity with you. "Friend" is something I keep reserved for the people I fully trust. At the very least, I would call you an acquaintance. Also, thank you for the info on nobility/royalty. By the way, which sounds better to you: "The Nobility of Sin" or "The Sinful Nobility"?

Those are some pretty nice ideas. If you at all care, my own title is "The Marquis of Gluttony" so my weapon is the Scythe. The whole idea was something I just randomly came up with one day when I noticed that each of my friends display a certain vice. One was a lazy-arse who couldn't be bothered to pause his game. One had a serious temper. One was openly perverted and One was very possessive of her boyfriend. I, myself, am quite a glutton, for both food and knowledge. So, has a bit of a joke, I googled titles of nobility, combined each one with a sin, and assigned a title to myself and to my friends. When I mentioned that two were leftover, I joked and said "looks like we need two more people and the "Nobility of Sin" will be complete".

The sinful nobility sounds like nobles who sin a lot, and the nobility of sin sounds like the ones who most embody sin, right under the actual sins.
Either way, The Sinful Nobility is probably what you want for a noble who isn't really noble.
The Nobility of Sin sounds like a squad of elite right under the demon king.
So Nobility of Sin, all the way.

I thank you for the compliment, and that sounds like quite the group of friends.
I said I'd be a great candidate for pride, but really, my brother more suites it.
He will not listen to a word you say if you've wronged him- even if your right and he is wrong.
He has proven himself to embody pride so much that I actually called him pride for a while when we were angry at each other for something I forget.

I don't get envious, I no-longer embody gluttony, I'm not really slothful, I may be a bit nymphomaniac but I don't really push it onto others, I never get angry at people and I don't feel the need to hoard money.
I don't really embody a sin.

oh, also, it goes like this:
Emperor
King
Grand Duke
Crown Prince
Arch Duke
Duke
Prince
Marquise
Count/Earl
Viscount
Baron
Knight/Dame
Lord

Take this into account with ranks

Thanks for the feedback.
If I'm reading this correctly, then a Lord is below a Baron in terms of rank. I wouldn't have guessed that. To be fair, I did a quick Google search for titles of nobility, so I didn't put in a lot of effort.

your welcome
and is' fine, not many know Lord is below Baron.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18