Human Magic 1,867 members · 760 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

How do each of you define a curse? Can a curse be considered separate from magic? Are curses only used by certain races? What is the most sadistic curse that you can imagine?

These are the questions that I ask to all of you. I know this probably confuses some of you, so let me explain. I have always been interested in magic and what it is capable of. A while ago, I was watching some episodes of Fairy Tail, when they introduced a group of antagonists that use Curses. It was explained that Curses are different from magic, in that only demons are capable of using it and that it draws power from all forms of negative emotions. This got me thinking, how is a curse defined? For example, one character named Jackal had a curse that allows him to turn anything he touches into a bomb. Another character named Keyes was a necromancer and his power was still called a curse.

Here's something that should be fun: Try to describe the most creative/sadistic curse that you can Imagine.

I'd say that a Curse would still be considered a form of Magic just...different in how it works compared to standard magic used by the masses. As for a wicked curse? I'd say the worst I can think of is that every time your life seems to be looking up (Having a kid, getting that promotion, learning your friend made a full recovery from that accident) that event would twist and burn (Kid dies moments after birth, somehow your boss finds some incriminating evidence and fires you afterwards, your friend gets hit by a bus and dies when he leaves the hospital) but thats just my opinion.
Oh, and tie the curse to the afflicted's life so that if they try to remove the curse they die.

Depends on how the curse is, ritualistic, divination, or spell work. Divination is prayer to whoever or whatever to curse another, voodoo, priest work, or most rituals is not strictly speaking magic, as much as works of god(s) or devil(s) (or spirits or ancestry from voodoo and shamanism.) though is and honestly should be considered magic or least a form of it that is not entirely depending on the user.
Spell work should speak for itself it is through acts of magical work, and the like to 'inflict' a form fo misfortune or even attack the victim(s) it is the direct correspondence of your work.
Ritualistic works can be both and are often associated (if not directly tied) with voodoo. Sacrifice to inflict an effect of vengeance or spite to a victim through sacrifice and/or prayer. Religious rituals are often to sway the being to your side, and magical ritual is too often increase potency or otherwise make an effect, this is often related to alchemy

As for the most creative curse to exist, well "May you always live in interesting times." it's an old but it holds always true, might not be considered one (at first) however if you keep having to fight and fight you get tired and eventually you cave or become bitter and various other means. I can't think of anything worse than never having peace. (least till you die.)

In my opinion, a curse is an enchantment with a negative effect. As for the worst curse I can think of? Being in constant pain, but not being able to get used to it, go numb, or pass out from it.

I figure that I might as well share what I think is the most sadistic curse imaginable. The Curse of Contradiction. First, your body becomes immortal and you don't age. You could starve yourself for a year and you'll be fine. Not even decapitation will kill you. Second, all forms of life around you die. As long as you value life in any way, then those around you die. If you love anyone, they will drop dead the next time you see them. If anyone tries to kill you, they'll die. The only way to control this power is to stop seeing value in life. Then you can kill anyone on a whim. Third, the curse makes you think in contradicting ways. For example, you could build an empire because you find it fun, then say that you take no pleasure in it.

Sorry if this is a bit long. I wanted to fully explain The Curse of Contradiction.

The worst curse: Sodd's Law. Alternatively, alter probability just so, making it seem that just as they reach the top, everything comes crashing down. They could spend decades building a nation from scratch, creating a business empire and spending time with family and friends and just as it looks like things are getting settled/going to be perfect it all comes crashing down; Invasion wipes out the nation and erases its culture, no one will even remember it when time takes the invaders; corrupt employees steal the business and run it into the ground so it'll always be remembered poorly; you're ostracised by your family through disagreement and they're divided by strife as your friends abandon you.

For maximum sadism the curse could be designed to increase your luck in such a way that you're always in a position to fall farther than the last time, after a while you'd begin to be distrustful of any kind of oppotunity or fortune presented to you or even openly hostile.

5724082 Isn't that the rule of life? no really..isn't it?

5724334 Which is why it's the best curse :pinkiehappy:. Seriously though, life's never that bad and even if it was, a curse like this would become self-fulfilling as the victim blamed it for their own failings over and over again, believing that some force worked against them when only they themselves were to blame for not taking responsibility. It's perfect because all it needs is a gullible victime and/or some well-timed misfortune, no need for any supernatural deals, rituals or magic (althogh it certainly helps, can't have them breaking free by seeing a psycologist or a random stranger giving pep-talks). It's brilliant because it enforces all the horrors of life whilst restricting or removing all that is good and comforting.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9