~The Decent Writers Club~ 1,674 members · 9,286 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I’m being kind of let down, I made this story called Dark Diamonds, It has a full plot going and currently has a bunch of pre-written chapters yet to be published, but my other story named Pony Bad Days seem to be doing better, it has comments and more views.

Now I’m feeling kinda unmotivated that a 1k word story that I randomly wrote is doing better than a story I worked on for a while. I’ve tried adding it to heaps of group folders and convincing myself it just needs more time, and that it’s been put in favourites.
But then there’s the view count I extended accidentally...

Any comments or feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Now I’m feeling kinda unmotivated that a 1k word story that I randomly wrote is doing better than a story I worked on for a while.

Welcome to the Fimfiction experience! Enjoy your stay!

What EdBoii wrote may sound disheartening, but there is a lot of truth to it.

This site is a great place for MLP writers, and some churn out chapter after chapter and never once stop to read something. Of half a million created stories, you should basically ignore the top 5000 when it comes to views. They are the 1% anomaly and not the norm.

:pinkiehappy:

I don’t focus on views on other stories, I was just taking about one I made getting more views than another one I made, should have maybe made that more clear, sorry about the confusion!

Nah, you made it clear, I just made an assumption, because they seemed to do equally well.

But it will take a long time (years?) to find your audience. Making short "completed" short stories that are enjoyable by themselves, with the typical start-event-solution format, is often the easiest way to find out what people who pass by enjoys.

Personally, I don't read stories until they're complete. Too many of them never get there, and I don't want to invest in a story to have it never finished. That may be why a complete short story is getting more activity than a longer unfinished one.

But I understand your concern. I too find my stories not getting much in the way of views/votes/comments. But I enjoy creating the stories despite how active they are.

That's an insane like to dislike ratio you've got there, my amigo. Imma read me one of your stuffs. Which one do you recommend?

If you want to start at the beginning of the Chronicles (just in case you keep going), then High Water Mark. But my writing has improved over time, and honestly the next two stories I'll publish are better. The Alchemist starts publishing tomorrow, and The Painless Murders (part of the Dark Steel spin-off series) immediately after.

Very nice and cool. I'll check it out in a bit. 😎

Feel free to comment/pm with any thoughts you have.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10