Brainstorming and Story Swap Directive 195 members · 190 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

(Sorry if this might have already been discussed recently in this group, I can't be arsed to look through the different threads to check :scootangel:)

So basically, this is how I operate: I'm used to planning out a story in great detail, fleshing out all the plotlines and details from beginning to end before I write a single word. However, I've noticed that while I can still get to the actual writing, I'm always a bit stunted there because my original enthusiasm for an idea will have somewhat faded through all the prep work the story will have gone through. In short this means that I'll have a great idea, but by the time I write it, I've planned it out so much that it almost feels like I've already written the story.

Writing is terrific fun. But something tells me that if I tried writing the story, just diving into the idea, without planning and seeing how things develop and what ideas come to me next as I'm actually writing the story, maybe it could be even more fun. The problem is I'm afraid to just lose track of what I'm doing; which is why I plan so much in the first place.

Tl;dr (no worries, I do it too): Is it a good idea to just start writing as soon as you get an idea you feel you can exploit? Or rather, it that a false good idea, and writing a story should always involve massive prep work to know exactly where you are at any given time during the writing process?

I always plan a lot, so I wanna know if other people manage to write just fine without all that tedious prep work. Thanks for reading! :moustache:

Is it a good idea to just start writing as soon as you get an idea you feel you can exploit? Or rather, it that a false good idea, and writing a story should always involve massive prep work to know exactly where you are at any given time during the writing process?

Depends on the kind of story you want to make at the time. If you want a long story full of interesting things, it's best to plan out what you want to write in advance. You could always start writing without everything fully planned, but only write the chapters/parts you KNOW you don't want to change and won't mess up future chapters too bad with major plot holes because you decided to go a different way. :trixieshiftright:

On the other hand, if you suddenly felt like writing a short one shot comedy about how Princess Celestia's cake was suddenly turned into a pack of dire weasels which causes havoc across Canterlot castle, then start writing immediately and see how you feel with the whole thing when you've finished it. Maybe you'll be happy with the results, or maybe you'll throw it away because it was a stupid idea. Better to try it out and toss it away than simply forget about it completely.

I have a bunch of ideas that I've started, but are ultimately languishing in limbo because they lack the finishing touch. Even if you end up not liking the final product, there's always the possibility that a certain line that you really loved can be recycled in a future work. It's never a complete waste to just write something, because you're at least getting the practice and letting your creative juices flow.

3411807 Even if you wing it, you should still have a developed ending in mind. Without it, you might write yourself into a corner.

I tend to plan more than I do actually write, so I understand a little. Well, I'd try writing out something, anything, related to your idea, and see where you go from there. Maybe do it in parts, if you have to. Then being it all together in the order you want and see if you like what you've got. :twilightsmile:

3411845 I want someone to write the dire weasels.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6