Brainstorming and Story Swap Directive 195 members · 191 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I call it "Neverafter." Like the title says, it was inspired by the sci-fi show "Defiance."

The idea is that out of nowhere, a ship (maybe human-made, maybe not, I'd personally leave that ambiguous) crash lands on Atlas after battling it out with other ships in space (a battle that was visible to anyone with a telescope). Mere minutes after it crashes, a strange waterlike fluid starts spreading out from it, seemingly of its own volition. Everything it touches starts to...change. Plants, animals, ponies, and even the land itself get changed.

Long story short, no one is able to stop the giant "living" tsunami, which overruns much of the planet in mere hours. The Element Bearers attempt to stop it...only to find that their Elements cause the wave to be drawn to them even more, and seem to have no negative effect on it.

So instead of saving the world, they get buried beneath the giant wave...and wake up fifty years later, to a completely alien Atlas, and completely alien bodies.

When they went unconscious, they were in Canterlot, a city built on the side of the small Canterhorn mountain.

They woke up in Canterlot, a city built from fifty year-old ruins of the collapsed Old Canterlot at the base of the massive Mount Olympus.

What's more, the Bearers' elements have been completely absorbed into their bodies, along with some of the "wave" that buried them. They are now part pony, part nanomachine. They no longer age, and need little food, drink, or rest. Additionally, they possess instinctual knowledge of certain technologies. There are some things they just...know, without truly understanding it. They are not the only ones, either. Some other Atlasians (the ones who were not mutated or left unaffected by the "tsunami") have gained that technological instinct, though it isn't as pronounced.

So now they have to make sense of this new world; a world where you can't walk from one town to another for fear of monsters and dormant pockets of the world-altering wave (instead you have to fly), where magic has been joined with strange technology that no one truly understands, and where the "Gift" of knowledge of said technology now means far more than noble blood, and where Celestia and Luna have been forced to create separate nations, as the radically altered geography made it impossible to keep Equestria unified.

3054331 The possibilities in your world are endless. One would still have to make up a story.
I can't take this idea, though, because my plate is full.

3054331 This sounds so awesome! I'm not taking, but I'll so read it if someon does. I might even check out the inspiration sometime...

I highly recommend it. It's a very unique sci-fi series. That uniqueness is what drew me to it, actually. Most sci-fi only shows the alien invasion, Defiance shows what comes after an alien invasion of Earth.

Essentially, it takes place 50 years after an alien invasion of Earth. The invasion was defeated, but not before Earth was terraformed by the aliens. Most Earth animals, like horses (:raritydespair:), are extinct, aliens and humans are now trying to coexist together, and radiation/debris makes air travel unsafe and keeps anyone from really forming large nations. Every city and town is basically its own country, minus those in the Earth Republic (who are basically a sci-fi Roman Empire...and they're absolute bastards, too).

So yeah, I'd say it's worth a look.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4