Cyberpunk Equestria 496 members · 114 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Disclaimer: This is not a story promotion. I simply want advice.

I've been working a story by the name of I Guardian. To water it down, the protagonist ends up in Equestria and is obligated to take care of the main six (as a herd) protecting them from cyborg type monster versions of the natural wildlife of Equestria.

I want to give this a real cyberpunk feel, but being new to Cyberpunk (and never have tried putting in a story before) all I really know is that cyberpunk deals with really cool technology and gadgets.

Can someone help me out and give me a few ideas of how I can shape this story to have that cyber punk feel?

The key feature of cyberpunk is "High tech, low life".

It's not about how technology will solve all our problems; it's about how technology creates new problems and makes old problems worse.

The settings are usually dirty, crime-ridden, huge metropolises with significant amounts of corruption.

The heroes of a cyberpunk story are not always heroic and they come from the fringes of society.

5042632 I see. How could I use that in place like Equestria? Basically, because of the high risk these creatures pose to the ponies, the humans had constructed high tech walls to protect the towns, but the hero and the herd he's protecting are venturing outside of those walls in hopes to walk to Canterlot and find answers there. How do I use Cyperpunk in places that are undeveloped?

Hierophant
Group Contributor

Build scenes and backdrops that illustrate how technology's rampant advance screwed things up. Even rural areas can reflect how they were robbed of both resources and societal capital. People moved away from the countryside, leaving it in ruin. Farms are swallowed up by strip mines. Those that remain are fearful and untrusting. Etc.

Add little details that make it look and feel crapsack-ish.

Cyberpunk to me has always been in the back drop of a society that has become so "plugged in" that it blends the virtual and real worlds to the point of people easily forgetting that they are separate things and that the virtual world is dependant on the real world.

Often the problems will stem from people starting to think that they can do things in real life that they really can't, issues with people abusing the complex and often misunderstood virtual world, and predators and activists using that world to promote their ideals and spread propaganda and terror. There are also issues of where the machine ends and person begins, the identity of self and soul, of what happens after death and if there really is a harsh reality waiting for them at the end where oblivion takes them from existence as well as what people are willing to do to stop that and even if it is possible to make a soul and just how to define what qualifies as one.

Mainly a lot of them I see as issues of a race growing up in some ways, facing societal problems that just aren't relevant yet in our current day and age. It takes a while for each generation to pass on how to handle these problems and even longer for it to become ingrained in the next generation from childhood.

That being said, I think that what you might be looking for is less straight cyberpunk and more a isolationist dystopia in a futuristic setting. That tends to deal with themes of the actual interaction of high tech society being forced to face the rest of the world that it is trying to keep out and often plays on the effects of a contained and sheltered society losing it ability to adapt to change due to isolation from new experiences and stagnation of ideas and beliefs.

You can use both those themes though and I'm sure magitech might bring a new perspective. You should try reading the Xanth series by Piers Anthony in order to see a really interesting conflict between the isolation of a magical realm from the rest of the world and the effects of said isolation.

5043342 Very interesting. Thank you, What you said about where the machine ends and human (or pony) begins fits perfectly with my story. By chance would you have a good story that involves the points you highlighted?

Try watching Ghost in the Shell. It explores exactly such concepts in depth. You can find it on Netflix or the various anime video hosting sites on the web, many of which are free. Google anime ultima, it's one I tend to use a lot even though it's a bit run down and you'll need some ad block and maybe some tightened security system settings...

Alternatively, the Of machine and might series here on FIMFiction explores it a little bit but the main themes are more about self sacrifice and comradeship in war and times of hardship. More on the effects of super high tech being thrust upon the comparatively low tech equestrian society. I don't know any more good ones for what you want by name but I'll look around.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7