The Known World 327 members · 84 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23
Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

One of Stirrope's most prominent countries, found a few miles off the coast of Trottingham, the island of Glascolt/Coltland is the home to many diverse creatures.

To the east of the isle is where beings such as the Taroo-Ushtey, Capaill Uisce, Ghillie Dhu, and Each-uisge live

The western half of the isle is home to beings such as the Kelpie, the Púka, the Oilliphéist, the Leprechauns, and finally the Dullahan which is considered by far the most dangerous of all creatures in Coltland/Glascolt. Every creature lives in fear of it this headless horror, the Equestrian legend of the "Headless Horse" being derived from the Dullahan, though in actuality this breed of undead is quite reserved and shy.

In the middle of Coltland lies a lake, possibly the largest lake known to pony kind. it cuts through the island and acts as a border between the east and west sides of the island. What dwells within is the Queen of Coltland, Queen Ness herself. Queen Ness and her sister Duchess Morag are last of their kind and older than even Celestia and Luna of Equestria, they have kept a shaky balance of peace between the eastern and western sides of the island.

While not every creature is willing to trust each other in Coltland, some even wanting nothing but outright war, whenever a proclamation is made by Queen Ness, it is always followed without question.

The western side (Coltland) has large forests. The eastern side (Glascolt) is more filled with high hills and fields, which is why the western side is often referred to as the Highlands.

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

2977621 This calls for tradition Coltland music!!!! :pinkiehappy:

Also there's Sir Will Braveheart Wall, one the greatest heroes in all of Coltland, who fought to his last breath to defend Coltland from the tyranny of invading Trottingham forces.For his bravery, he was forever immortalized with a statue in Scot, the town of his birth.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

2977748 I'm glad I have finally made this an official part of the Known World:twilightsmile:

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

2978052 I hope you don't mind the changes I made so it fits with the previous-established facts of the group (such as the Leprechauns being essentially giant flightless butterflies)

Also, I updated my changeling relatives post in this group to include MLP's newest canon race, the Breezies!

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

2978081 While I don't agree with your version of Leprechauns, not saying their bad just that I personally had something else in mind, I don't mind them. My version of Leprechauns are more similar to goblins or imps in terms of looks. Green skinned, pointy eared, overall humanoid shaped beings. After all, we already have humanoid shaped trolls

Yeah, I only take as cannon from those comics stuff that hasn't been disproved yet in the show. So, humanoid trolls are A-okay for me.

Also, did the Breezies sound Norwegian to you? Maybe it was the high pitch, but they bounced around from sounding Scottish, then Irish, then Norwegian or maybe Swedish to me.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

2978147 Meh, I have my own troll ideas, but they're essentially humanoid.

the language was Swedish/Danish/Finnish/Dutch sounding, but Sea Breeze's accent sounded Scottish by way of Sweden/Denmark/[youtube=R7BiKZbKffk]

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

2978258 At first I thought Sea Breeze had a kind of Scottish with a hint of Irish accent and I thought I heard the other Breezies talking in rather gibberish version of Gaelic(Not any specific since I'm sure it was meant to be a fake version anyway) and I thought was pretty cool. Mostly because as we both know, the concept of fairies comes from Celtic legend and not many people use that aspect.

However almost the VERY next scene they switch gears and Sea Breeze sounds like he's from Norway and the other Breezies sound like The Swedish Chef on helium!!

Also if they are meant to be Finnish, I expect this is their native music.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

2978362 I decided on this as the species synopsis

Breezy

Breezies are the smallest of equine species, yet have the largest wing-to-body size ratio. the size of the wings means that they require a lot of effort to actually fly, so prefer to simply glide using small breezes. the tips of a Breezy's antennae are bioluminescent. Males are only distinguished from females by their shorter manes.

a Breezy mare (left), foal, and stallion (right)

the Breezy language is song-like, sounding similar to the Reinland dialect of Poatsi (the reindeer language), but oddly have a distinctive accent that ranges from Reinland to Glascolt when they speak normal Equestrian, which very few can actually do.

"I can. These lot can only understand you. clearly, they're not the brightest bunch around."- Sea Breeze, a Breezy Swarm Leader on his ability to speak Equestrian

Breezies live in tiny villages, hidden by powerful magic barriers. only Breezies can open the barrier, seemingly creating a portal to another world.

Breezies rely on pollen to make the majority of their food, and have an unusual form of passive magic that they use to protect the pollen, activated by the breezes they rely on to move

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

2979053 Hmm.................. I like it :coolphoto:

Also I just want to know what was going on in the recording booth with the VA's for the Breezies. Was that on purpose or what?!?! :twilightoops:

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

2979128 *shrug*

Naturally, Breezies share the unique distinction of being the only changeling relative changelings themselves cannot turn into. they're just too small!

On a slightly related note, are you familiar with the legend of the Redcap?

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

2979261 Makes sense.

It's a type of malevolent murderous dwarf, goblin, elf or fairy found in Border Folklore. They are said to inhabit ruined castles found along the border between England and Scotland. Redcaps are said to murder travelers who stray into their homes and dye their hats with their victims' blood (from which they get their name). Redcaps must kill regularly, for if the blood staining their hats dries out, they die. Redcaps are very fast in spite of the heavy iron pikes they wield and the iron-shod boots they wear

Comment posted by Captain Lunar deleted Mar 2nd, 2014
Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

2979309 Redcap

Found throughout Stirrope, the redcaps make underground burrows in old battlegrounds. their red-tipped horns give the appearance of having been dipped in blood. they also display sexual dimorphism, as shown with the male and female above

MLP-fy ALL the fairies!

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

2979370 OH! How about their horns bubble with magic constantly, giving it the illusion of blood constantly rolling down it? Kinda like this

I know it looks like blood, but it's actually rage energy in it's pure form

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

2979543 hmm... not constantly, but when they get angry or are just using magic normally. Perfect! adding now!

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

2979621 Also here's a hint at what my first thread on this group is going to be :ajsmug:

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

2979691 Hmm... a sufficiently japan like country? I plan to cover actual Neighpon... OH! the Neighpon I have is actually three islands: North Neighpon *Changelings and Kirin, as well as other species, highly industrialized, as in the Changeling capital is steampunk, but with a fairly decent amount of farmland*, South Neighpon *Mostly Kirin, more agricultural*, and the third island *no name or idea formed it's just a third island in the chain*. Maybe we could do a quick collab post here!:pinkiehappy:

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

2979766 Okay! :pinkiehappy: I'll PM you when I get my stuff together.:twilightsmile:

as a Brit, and considering my country has one of the most, if not the most diverse range of accents, I thought i'd give my to pennies worth on the matter of the accent that Breezies talk in...

seriously, just watch this video, it contains audio clips of a large variety of British accents spoken by native speakers, and it doesn't isn't even have all of them (warning, it's hard to understand some of them...especially the Geordie accent :rainbowlaugh:).

Anyway, as someone who tried to learn German, the Breezies seemed to keep switching between a Scottish and a German accent.

But then again, comparing a German to a Swedish or Dutch accent is like comparing an English to a Welsh or Australian accent, or comparing an American accent to a Canadian accent (as a Brit I still can't tell the bloody difference between the two and it has led to many an awkward introduction whenever I've been to America).

I think it's safe to say that their accent is roughly Germanic; a broad term which includes accents like English, German, Swedish and Dutch.

The reason it wasn't Welsh was because it would make them sound melodic in the way they talked (tthink of someone with a british accent, add a melodic hint to it, and then get them slightly drunk sounding, that's essentially a welsh accent)

also, Stag, where's the thread(s) with the Carnivorous ponies and that shark pony? I'm thinking of having a few Carnivorous ponies as characters in my next book and I can't find the thread anywhere :applecry:

*Edit: nevermind, found some under earth kin, would I be correct in assuming the Capall Uische (Sea Kelpies) speak with Scottish accents

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

3584161 Fair enough, but still as an Irishman myself(Granted I've had very little time in Ireland proper due to a Dad with a job that had us move around, mostly across America, when I was younger), I still detected a LOT of Irish in Sea Breeze when he first came on screen. MAYBE some Scottish like I said, really I've noticed when someone tries to fake either accent they tend to blend the two unless they've had PROPER training in how to do it. And to me that made sense. Breezies are based on fairies and most fairy myths come from Ireland with the Seelie and Unseelie Courts.

Point is I really thought that was the angle they were going for, which was fine by me. After all I like seeing Celtic mythology shown in stuff, it's drastically underrated in my opinion. Then....... Things went all

[youtube=www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY_Yf4zz-yo]

3584268 I have to agree with the whole Celtic thing.

I also think Pagan Mythology has huge potential (ever heard of the Green Man?).

also, "bort bort bort" *chucks utensils behind me* (they must of had so much fun making those shorts, I've been watching them for the past hour)

2978147 my first thought when i saw that picture of the troll.

'how the world sees Bronies'

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23