The Known World 327 members · 82 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

A little larger than the average pegasus, there is still something surreal about seeing an Aerophant actually unfolding its wings and taking to the sky.

I seen a peanut stand, heard a rubber band
I seen a needle that winked its eye
But I be done seen 'bout ev'rything
When I see a elephant fly!

In spite of superficial appearance, the Aerophant is more closely related to Khaan Elephants than Zebrican Elephants, and originally hail from Khaan themselves.

In the past, they were raiders, swooping down upon crops and devouring them before flying out of harm's way, and a few still follow this lifestyle, though many have found new callings as explorers, cartographers, and messengers.

Aerophants are less social than many of their cousins, only living in small family groups rather than tribes consisting of extended family members. Male Aerophants are frequently found with females, another unusual trait. They are nomadic by nature, but will often stay in a single area for several months before moving on.

Unusually, Aerophants are also capable of hovering, allowing them to pick treetop fruit without actually landing on the tree itself.

Comparatively, Aerophant bulls experiencing musth are less aggressive than many proboscideans, engaging in trumpeting matches and shoving contests, possibly due to the small size of their tusks (which only rarely grow to a length of two or three inches).

...Flying elephant raiders.

Dear God, man, I could kiss you.

Prince_Staghorn
Group Admin

5964301 To be fair, that's what they mainly come across as in Asian myths. as one example:

India- a flying elephant comes down from the sky each night to eat a farmer's sugar cane in his fields.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4