The Marvel/DC Co-Fan Club 719 members · 567 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

As a lifelong fan I have developed a certain familiarity with the characters and their history in the respective universes. This was apparently all for naught.

With the reboot now nearly three years in, I’ve been waiting patiently for the arrival of some of my favorite characters that were considered expendable. Some have made their first appearance, but most have not. So the time has come in all my nerd rage to take a look at some of the Titans that have been screwed over by the New 52.

Now I know some of you are probably saying,

“The Teen Titans are still here, kicking ass and taking names”

This is true. Teen Titans #1 was released along with the rest of the new titles. It featured a familiar cast of characters like (Red) Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, and a few new characters to the DC Universe. So what am I bitching about?

Because while Teen Titans features the next generation of superheroes, it went too far and skipped the whole generation that made the team what it was!!! Yes, it featured (Red) Robin, Kid Flash, and Wonder Girl, but not the ones it should have. The New 52’s Teen Titans are led by Tim Drake (Red Robin) with Bart Allen as KF and Cassie Sandsmark as WG. The teens who made the Titans pre-New 52 were Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, as well as Speedy (Roy Harper) and Aqualad (Garth). Eventually Raven came around and was responsible for the formation of The New Teen Titans, who shot to X-Men level popularity in the 80’s. This incarnation featured Robin, Kid Flash, and Wonder Girl, with new additions Beast Boy, Starfire, and Cyborg.

Donna Troy did not have it easy pre New 52. Constant retcons have made her history convoluted with no one really knowing just who the hell she is. She started off as the younger sister to Diana Prince (Wonder Woman, duh) and the first person to go by the name Wonder Girl. She was also known as Troia, had a brief stint as a Darkstar, and then just went by Donna Troy, after giving up on finding a suitable sobriquet. Donna’s connection to the Gods was slightly different from Diana’s. Whereas Diana was connected to the Greek Gods of Olympus, Donna was connected to the Titans of Myth, who were the paternal ancestors of the Olympians. With the heavy role of the gods in New 52 Wonder Woman, I think that there is still a definite place for Donna Troy in the New 52, yet after all this time we are still waiting.

And finally, the most important member of the Titans................. WALLY WEST!!!!!

2009771 Scott Lobdel should not be let near any DC comics anymore... ever and at all. He's done nothing but ruin the titles he's done. :ajbemused:

Also, this is for Wally

Warning: Swearing

2009796 I think DC made a mistake with the reboot. I mean the biggest mistake. You know what that is? They didn't do a FULL reboot. A hard reboot, no Nightwing, no other Robin's, every would be sidekick in their teenage years. Give it 5 years, then start introducing characters like Jason Todd or other successors to the mantles.

2009835 I actually like how they kept some of the most developed aspects of certain characters. Granted, I'd prefer Wally over Burt any day of the week, even if Barry isn't with Iris, that's not really necessary for him to be a fanboy of the Scarlet Speedster. Batman and Green Lantern being the most obvious, I think they made the right move, although there are a few details that should have been fleshed out more.

Like how Blackest Night could have been explained better if it had to exist in the new continuity. Or be more clear on how Batman has only been public for 5 years.

A little more well done exposition, a character bible and more setting up would have done a world of good.

Also, it would probably make the fandom lose their sh:yay:t if they announced a 'Titans: Year One' miniseries detailing a covert team of titans, introducing old favorites like Donna Troy, early Jason Todd, Aqualad, among others.

Set up is everything and that was DC's critical failure, along with leaving the fans in the dark about a lot of stuff.

At least, those are my thoughts on the matter. Here, have a Supergirl Gif:

My heart just exploded from nostalgia because of that :applejackconfused:

I mean, I like the new Supergirl and all, outfit and all (minus the Super-thong (don't get started on it :ajbemused:)), but it sucks just a little bit not knowing the old comic versions that well.

What was old Supergirl like, anyway? Does she stack up against old Supergirl or is she great, just in a seperate way? :duck:

2009920 I started reading comics when Linda Danvers was Supergirl(Her origin is a touch complicated so I suggest looking her up). However Kara's Supergirl, when they brought her back, suffered from writers making her a villain for some inane reason. It didn't happen much, but when it did it was so stupid!!!

However I do Not care for New 52 Supergirl on the basis that she's nowhere near what the Pre-New 52 Supergirl was like. When written WELL Pre-New 52 Kara was a lovable girl who had a strong familial bond with Clark, even calling Superboy her cousin as well. She was also best friends with Cassie Sandsmark AKA the 2nd Wonder Girl

But she never went as far as to blindly trust someone, even if they were from Krypton, to the point of trying to restore it on Earth!!!!! :flutterrage:

Also as I mentioned Cassie as Wonder Girl, let me enlighten you on how the current one is a horrible and shameful insult to the original!!! She was never a thief!!!! She was basically Diana's Barbara Gordon, being greatly inspired by Wonder Woman and wanting to be her sidekick! She originally used magical artifacts for her powers. However she later discovered she was a daughter of Zeus and started using her own demigoddess powers

Also I think I found a video that perfectly defines our differing ideas about the New 52....... You're Bob and the guy is the New 52

2010137 does that make Avenging Hobbits Jerry or you Jerry?

Also, while I found it offensive to a certain degree, it was kind of funny :twilightsmile:

2010172 I'd say I'm Jerry since unlike Avenging Hobbits I've actually read quite a bit of the New 52 and I have a better understanding of it, so therefore I would easily end it if I had the chance.

Also yeah, I was a little put off by this at first, but then upon watching it a second time I realized it was pretty funny. Dark humor can be hit or miss with most people. :applejackunsure:

2010208 is there anything you'd keep from the New 52? :rainbowhuh:

2010208 this is going to be a really long response, isn't it? :applejackconfused:

Comment posted by Commando-Scarecrow deleted Oct 23rd, 2013
Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

2009771 It's really depressing when you think about it.

2010310 eeyup. Scott Lobdell should have just stayed in Marvel, where I understand he actually did very well. :trixieshiftright:

Sadly, that doesn't absolve the new 52 nearly of all the initial stupidity caused in the name of the new continuity. :trixieshiftleft:

Things are getting better, though, which is nice :applejackunsure:

Captain Marvel's name changed to Captain Thunder(It just sounds better with a Captain in there and Captain Shazam sounds stupid)

Superman's costume is no longer armor

Green Lantern has pretty much been left untouched so nothing there

Every change made to the Batman side of the universe undone, as it was perfect before hand. Barabara can still be Batgirl, but that's the only thing I'd leave.

Aquaman no longer treated as a joke in his own COMIC!!!!!!:flutterrage:

Superboy's original origin in tact

Tim Drake's current Red Robin costume stays(I actually like it)

Rose Wilson no longer a villain and a hero again

Raven is a hero again and out of that HIDEOUS thing she calls a costume

No Earth 2. Ever. No Alan Scott being gay and having his powers come from The Green like Swamp Thing's, no world ending Hellraiser styled Solomon Grundy, no Jay Garrick getting his powers from Mercury thus making him a knock off Captain Marvel, and no Sandman being an entire government team!!!!!

No Power Girl being extradimensional Supergirl. Either clone or Atlantean, I don't care, but she can't be extradimensional anymore as it was a halfassed origin then and it's a halfassed origin now!

HELENA BERTINELLI AS HUNTRESS DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!

The original Teen Titans back. The team having existed for years and with the SAME history it had before!!!!!!

That's all for now

The original Teen Titans back. The team having existed for years and with the SAME history it had before!!!!!!

Meh. Still like my covert year one Titans idea better, but that's just personal preference.

Rose Wilson no longer a villain and a hero again

they both started out as a villain trainees or villains, so I wouldn't mind them starting as a villains as long as they goes hero some time. Although I'm pretty sure Raven's already changed to good...

Tim Drake's current Red Robin costume stays(I actually like it)

The Red Swan is quite fabulous, isn't it?

Superboy's original origin in tact

Would have played around with it just a little bit more, but not much.

No Power Girl being extradimensional Supergirl. Either clone or Atlantean, I don't care, but she can't be extradimensional anymore as it was a half-assed origin then and it's a half-assed origin now!

HELENA BERTINELLI AS HUNTRESS DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!

Meh. I like their simplicity, but that's more a matter of preference than anything else.

But yeah, this is almost the same conversation we've had before, and unless there's a new Crisis on Infinite Earths to try and mash certain aspects of the two together or a few super awesome retcons or even some character development, then I doubt we'll be likely to agree on this.

Personally, with the new 52 being my first real continuity in comics, it allows me to see it as what is with nothing to compare it to. Wonder Woman has been awesome, as have a few others. Complain all you want about Aquaman's new character dynamic, but his stories are good.

I dunno. I just prefer looking at something for what it is instead of what it isn't. Giving it a fair shake to be a good story in it's own right, rather than in the old one's right and all that good stuff.

An apple will never be an orange, so stop comparing the two and like both, celebrating their differences and hoping to God that the chef who f:yay:cked up your apple pie gets a new recipe because he's your friend and you don't want to seem him fired...

That last paragraph I just wrote might be the most apt description anyone has ever written about the new 52 ever :applejackconfused:

2010472 On another point, time to correct you on Superman's costume while I'm thinking about it.

It has been one of the most iconic, if not THE, most iconic superhero costume in history!! For 75 years it has been around!!!!! It has withstood the test of time!! But you are content to say

"Oh, the briefs on the costume look weird! Change it!"

Well I for one find that awfully petty. You would throw away a piece of history, Superman's costume for the soul reason of you think it's out of date. That it's not modern enough. Well let me tell you something, the costume you mock is indeed a piece of history. It's basic design has been with the character for over 70 years!!!! It was the very costume, the very first that inspired every single superhero costume that came after it!!

Every superhero costume is all based on Superman's in some way, even if they look nothing like his. The tights, the bright colors, the capes, the symbols, all of it came from Superman's original costume. It has lasted this long for a reason. It's iconic. It's memorable. You don't just change it because you think it's out of date. Maybe it's your thinking that's out of date? Did you ever think of that?

2010603 I never said I didn't like the tights, just the briefs.

I just said I like the armor look. My favorite Superman costume is from Earth-One, Dude. I've told you as much. several times :applejackunsure:

I'm also a fan of the Injustice costume... :trixieshiftright:

EDIT: If I hated tights, then I'd complain about almost every other hero out there. Batman has tights, Nightwing has tights (I complain about him, but not the costume) the Flash... has a slightly more segmented feel to it, but it's still kind of like tights.

I just have different like than you. I never said once I hated tights.

2010629 And a TRUE Superman fan would be boycotting the armor like I am!! It serves NO function, makes the costume overly complicated, and looks weirder than the briefs ever did!!

I DESPISE the Injustice costume. Well at least for the good Superman in the game, the Regime Superman despite being evil did have a good costume.

Nice way of having the classic briefs without them actually being there. I like that!! Pacifies the haters

2010646 :ajbemused:

And a TRUE Superman fan would be boycotting the armor like I am!! It serves NO function, makes the costume overly complicated, and looks weirder than the briefs ever did!!

ass

Seriously? :ajbemused: You're bringing in the 'true Superman fan' argument into this?

After all the incarnations of Superman and all the slightly modded costumes, you think I'm not a true fan of Superman just because I like the armor?

That's totally asinine. That's like saying 'no true Tim Drake fan would like his wings because they rip off of the Falcon'. :ajbemused:

Fine. I'll admit it. The armor still feels off to me. I like it, but I just think that could have been done differently to a certain degree. I'm not super big on his old verse costume because of the briefs, but the red in the middle added something to the plain of blue.

I feel weird about either one and I'm not sure which I should support. Earth-2 is nice, but I think that the costumes should be different from their counterparts.

I admit that the Superman costume isn't bad to me, just... off because of all the lines and stuff. I feel weird about it, not bad, just weird.

I like the Earth-2 costume better

Is that what you wanted to hear? :trixieshiftleft:

2010748 I just think it doesn't have enough red in it. I like how the cape combines with the shield and the big, thick belt. The thicker bits of red could have been armors, with the 'S', definitely and maybe around the chest.

I'm saying a combination would have been best. :trixieshiftleft:
Now stop complaining about the armor. Whining never accomplishes anything :trixieshiftleft:

EDIT: That's actually my favorite scene out of the whole series

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23