The Marvel/DC Co-Fan Club 717 members · 563 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

According to schmoes know, the new Johnny Storm will be played by Michael B. Jordan.

I shall refrain from making any Michael Jordan related basketball jokes.

For those of you who have no idea who Michael B. Jordan is, he's this guy:

Now, before I continue, I'd just like to say that Michael B. Jordan seems like a compitant actor, with his credits including HBO's The Wire, and the films Chronicle and Fruitville Station, all of which are serious dramatic roles.

Now that I got my nice words out of the way, on to the rant...

WHY DID YOU DO THIS FOX?!

There is no reason in the entire universe to make Johnny Storm black. In fact, last I checked, Johnny Storm looked like this:

You know...white...with blond hair...and blue eyes...

So why did they make him African American? I mean, I'm all for racial diversity in superhero comics (I'm still waiting for that Black Panther movie you promised Marvel), but come on Fox, why make a character, who, for their entire history, was white as the wind driven snow into an African-American? Even the Ulitmates Universe, which has a black Spider-Man, at least had the brains to make Morales a SEPARATE CHARACTER FROM PETER PARKER.

To me, it just reeks of pandering. Instead of spending the money to make a movie about one the 80 bazillion dark skinned X-Men characters, which Fox is fortunate enough to own the rights to, they instead take a character who is currently white, and has always been white, and then make him black. And trust me, if Johnny Storm had been black all along, and they cast a white guy to play him, I would be just as mad, if not MADDER.

Anybody else really pissed?

IDIOTS! I'm for racial diversity too but use an actual black superhero- like as you said Black Panther or maybe a wolverine like Storm Movie or what about a Dust movie?

Interesting. I will watch the movie first, see what I think of it. :moustache:

1981722 Also this REALLY screws over Sue as well since NOW they have to find an actress that looks at least mixed who can play her!!!! None of the actresses they have in mind are black OR even look like they could be from an interracial family!!!!

I do NOT want the weak ass excuse of "Oh he's/she's adopted" NO!!!! Johnny Storm and Sue Storm are BLOOD RELATED SIBLINGS!!!! I am not saying that an adopted sibling can't have the same kind of bond blood siblings do, not at all, but it's still just horrible!!!!

Look I get it, they want diversity. That's great!!! I LOVE diversity in superheroes!!! The PROBLEM is that this is running the same way as DC's New 52 version of Alan Scott(First Green Lantern) being gay!!! Totally forgetting about the character and instead focusing on how to make them different!!! It's the same here!!!

FOX is basically going

"HEY! WE GOT A BLACK HUMAN TORCH!! SEE?! WE ARE DIVERSE!"

And look I'm sure he's a fine actor. I've only seen him in Chronicle, but that was enough to where I'd like to see more of him. But not like this!!!

I'd sooner see him playing a young Luke Cage than Johnny Storm!!!!! Yeah a YOUNG Luke Cage, nothing says Luke HAS to be an older guy. Wait where was I going with this? :rainbowderp:

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

1981767 I WANT HIM TO PLAY YOUNG LUKE CAGE.

But fun fact!: I am actually inter-racial myself (sorta). My grandfather on my mother's side was Afro-Cuban, and my grandmother on my mother's side was white Cuban.

Also, my dad's family was mostly white (Germany and Spain mostly, with some native Nicaraguan thrown in for kicks).

End result? I ended up looking very white, while my sister ended up looking very dark (not African-American dark, more Latino dark).

point is, that yes, it is possible to have white and black people be blood siblings....but it's still jarring.

1981800 I'm actually half Creek Indian on my Dad's side and half Irish/Scottish/Dutch on my mother's side. I'm white as a picket fence with Dutch facial features whereas my little sister could pass for full-blooded Indian..................... Yeah I know that all too well.

Anyway back to my original point, if this was a superhero that wore a mask? That covered a majority of their face? Then yeah I wouldn't mind them having their race changed since when a superhero puts on a mask then THAT becomes their face and nothing else really matters, unless it's a part of their character to be a certain race.

Captain America for example. Steve Rogers' backstory is that he was the son of Irish immigrants who came to America. Yes, Captain America is technically an Irish superhero. That's a part of his character.

Spider-Man? While I wouldn't want them doing the race swap suddenly in the comics, I wouldn't have minded if the rumors of Donald Glover being Spidey in the Amazing Spider-Man were true since the idea of Spider-Man is that it could be ANYONE under the mask.

However try it with someone like Superman or any hero who DOESN'T wear a mask that covers a majority of their face? Then yeah we got a problem!! :flutterrage:

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

1981903 The mental image of Captain America dancing an Irish jig and speaking with an Irish accent is just too funny.

But exactly. I share the same feeling.

Jabberwocky1996
Group Admin

1981722 Well this is gonna suck.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8