The Marvel/DC Co-Fan Club 717 members · 563 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

Spider-Man, to me anyway, has always been one of the most perfect superheroes. Perfect in this case being the many ranges you can play with him.

He's got superpowers, but he's not invincible like so many other heroes with powers are(The Flash being an example as with the Speed Force, yeah he's kinda unstoppable).

Spider-Man has the potential to be a dark character, they've played around with that before. In fact Spider-Man, as a character, has seen more death in his life than Batman has. Yes that's right. Spider-Man, the brightly colored superhero who always jokes around, has seen far more death than Batman. Deaths of a personal nature that is.

Uncle Ben, Captain Stacy, Gwen Stacy, Jean DeWolff, Ben Reilly, the death of his infant daughter(Which was just cruel. It's the only thing I'm kinda glad OMD erased since Peter and MJ NEVER should have had to go through that).

Batman? Well there's his parents, Jason Todd, his son Damian......... Yeah that's all I can actually recall. I mean I don't count Stephanie Brown, as much as I like her, as he was never that close to her anyway. I mean yes, darker stuff happens to Batman, but not many where the deaths of people are those he cares for personally. Besides Jason came back so he doesn't count much anymore.

Point is, Spider-Man is one of the best superheroes because of the ways he can be interpreted. He can be really dark, and he has gone dark before, but also as light and kid friendly as can be.

1976002 But Spiderman never really dwelled on it, right?

Batman's past defined him. He is the child who's parents were gunned down, while Parker might have become a hero still if Uncle Ben hadn't been killed.

That's just my thought on it, though :trixieshiftright:

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

1976002 Never thought of that.

But I will admit, Spider-Man is best when he's done in a sincere, Norman Rockwell-esque type of optimism. He doesn't work quite as well when he's done cynical or emo (one of my complaints about the 2012 Spider-Man is that they made Peter a tad too emo for my tastes. While the Rami films had the flaw of making Peter a whiner and indecisive)

1976043 Emo Spiderman heh heh heh... :rainbowlaugh:

1976017 No actually he wouldn't have become a hero if Uncle Ben were alive. I have the book where in some other universe aunt May died instead and Peter got into movies and performing arts with Uncle Ben as his agent for the first few years. Then he dumped Ben, got on with a new agency and basically dropped his uncle from his life. If Uncle Ben hadn't died Spider man would not be the hero we know, or a hero at all for that matter.

1976106 It worked for Superman, didn't it? :duck:

1976017 1976043 My point is that every single one of those death's were caused by Peter being Spider-Man. Uncle Ben? Yeah could have been avoided. Captain Stacy? Result of a fight between him and Doc Ock. Gwen? Green Goblin finding out his secret identity. Jean DeWolff? Okay not really his fault as it was the result of a crazy man, but she was still close to him. Ben Reilly? Killed by Norman Osborn. His daughter? Killed by Osborn as well. At least it's strongly hinted that she was. I swear that last one was just too cruel. I may hate One More Day with a fiery passion, but at least it meant that Peter never had to go through the pain of losing his newborn daughter.

Also he was beaten to a pulp by Kraven once and BURIED ALIVE FOR DAYS WHILE KRAVEN PRETENDED TO BE SPIDER-MAN!!! BURIED ALIVE!!!!! :pinkiegasp:

And let's not forget the fact Doc Ock KILLED him and is now parading around in his body. Fortunately this guy may just stop that

1976112 What does that have to do with this? We were talking about Spider-Man.

1976161 If Uncle Ben had been around longer, his lessons would have sunk in easier. Do you really think that Parker wouldn't have become a hero being raised by Ben and May? :ajsmug:

1976106 thats not accurate theres also a verse where uncle ben survived and he became a hero, heck theres a verse where his parents never died and he still became a hero...just because a single verse says otherwise doesn't mean anything.

1976186 1976161 I gotta agree with Scarecrow. Either of you remember that Spider-Man TAS episode where it had him and a lot of his extra-dimensional counterparts fighting Spider-Carnage? One of them was basically Tony Stark, armor and everything with spider powers and he was a hero and Uncle Ben was alive.

*Spoilers if ya wanna know what happened with that fiasco with Miguel*

Miguel is stuck in present day 616 because Tyler Stone broke his way back home, and now Miguel will have to work in present day Alchemax and find a way back,which teased a new Spidey 2099 series

Oh and surprise surprise! Even he didn't recognize it was Ock!! But at least he proved to be superior in terms of technology and intelligence.

1976265 I read the issue and I hope Miguel ends up beating the living hell out of Ock! :pinkiecrazy::raritystarry:

1976186 But aunt May wasn't alive.

1976194 I didn't see that one. What book was it?

1976206 I thought we were just talking about Earth 616 Spider-Man.

1976343 We are, I just think that version is funny :rainbowlaugh::pinkiecrazy:

That and it really irks Ock to see him being insulted about being Low Tech lol

1976360That wasn't really what we were talking about.

1976152 I'm vaguely aware of the events of the Superior Spider-Man (Not deserving of the title, if the one issue I read was any indication.), but what's going on with 2099?

And is Spider-Man Noir from Shattered Dimensions based off a comic?

1976626 2099 is back in the past due to some stuff a bit too complicated to go into here

Also Spider-Man Noir is a comic. Marvel has a whole line of Noir comics actually

1976689 Really? Well, I hope they handle the two Spideys as well as they did with Spider-Men.... only not Peter Parker or Miles Morales....

Is there a Deadpool Noir? That'd be something I'd want to check out.

1977629 Same here

That one is actually called Deadpool Pulp

1977644 Ah, okay. I shall scavenge the thrift shops, pawn shops and comic stores for it. Seems interesting.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23