The Marvel/DC Co-Fan Club 717 members · 563 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

Okay, since this group is a tad on the quite side, I've decided to make a discussion post.

Let's talk about the major casting developments in both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DC Comics based films. I've provided links to the official statements, so that you all know that this is legit and not me making stuff up.

First off, let's talk about the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film to be released around 2015 or so (depending if everything goes smoothly).

After a long wait, which spawned an ocean of rumors, Warner Bros., the production company responisble for the DC films, has annouced that they finally have chosen the actor to portray Batman.

It is two time Academy Award winning writer/actor/director, Ben Affleck

Now, I'll come out and say it right now, I don't agree with this choice. I personally believe that Ben Affleck, while not a wretched actor, simply does not have the acting ability to pull off either Batman or Bruce Wayne. However, I do believe that Ben Affleck is an exceptional director/writer, having been responsible for both Argo, which recently won the Academy Award for Best Picture (a richly deserved win) and for writing the Academy Award winning screenplay to Good Will Hunting with Matt Damon.

However, this still does not mean I fully back up him as Batman. From my experience of his acting, he so far simply hasn't provided me enough proof that he can pull it off secessfully. However, I'm not going to hate on the guy, nor am I going to wish him ill or anything like that. I really hope he can prove me wrong and create a well rounded, well acted interpretation of Bruce Wayne.

Of course, David S. Goyer is writing the screenplay....so all hope is lost for a good screenplay I'll tell you that.

Next, in Marvel related news, Marvel has announced that they have finally chosen a voice for Rocket Raccoon in their upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film, which is set in the same universe as The Avengers and other films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Their chose for the wild, gun toting raccoon?

None other then Academy Award nominated actor Bradley Cooper:

My personal opinion is that, quite frankly, I'm very happy about this. I like Bradley Cooper as both an actor and he seems to be a real stand up guy, and he's also shown he can do serious films (Silver Linings Playbook, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor) and also quite comfortable in bizarre comedies (The Hangover movies). I really look forward to see what he'll do in voicing our favorite machine gun wielding varmint, and how he'll interact with the rest of the cast.

Continuing with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Marvel also recently announced that they have also chosen the actor who will portray the main villain in the upcoming Avengers sequel, The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Ladies and gentleman, please give a hand to James Spader:

Most known for the critically acclaimed legal drama Boston Legal (for which he won three Emmy's), James Spader has been a long respected actor in Hollywood, frequently appearing in many supporting roles, ranging from 1994's Stargate to 2012's Lincoln.

My personal opinion is that I think he can do the part of Ultron quite well, since he seems to be a very capable actor, and I don't remember ever hating him in a role (then again, I haven't seen that many movies that have Mr. Spader in them:twilightsheepish:)

Of course, he will most likely only be a voice role (like Bradley Cooper) and therefore, can provide us with a new sound for Ultron other then the totally awesome, but very robotic sound that Tom Kane provided in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated show.

So, what are your thoughts on the matter and would have chosen someone else? and if so, who?

Remember, keep things civil.

Discuss.

I agree with you on Cooper, he'd be good for Rocket Racoon. However I only half agree with you on Affleck. There are two sides to his character Batman and Bruce Wayne. Both have very differnet personalities. Bruce Wayne is a billionaire playboy who likes expensive cars beautiful women and generally doing things other people can't just cause he's rich. Batman is dark and brooding seeking justice on the criminal underground for his parents deaths. Affleck could probably do Bruce very well. However in a team up movie like this one the important side is Batman. I've never seen Affleck play a character like Batmman so I'm skeptical.

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

1642583 Exactly.

I just don't think he can handle the dark side of Batman.

1642407 Cautiously optimistic for Affleck as Bats, but I think Rocket is HORRIBLY miscast.:ajbemused: Too bad Bob Hoskins isn't acting anymore, he'd have made a perfect Rocket Raccoon.:eeyup:

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

1772373 Well he has Alzhiemer's...

Admittedly, it would have been awesome to see Simon Pegg voice him, since he could do that type of 'space pirate' voice really well.

But I'm keeping my hopes up for Bradley. He's a good actor, and knows full well how to do comedy, so I think he can handle it.

As for Ben Affleck....I just can't see him in the part.

1772373 Bat Affleck will be the hero DC fans deserve or the hero we need

Take it as you will :moustache:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6