FIM Fiction Interviews 61 members · 47 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

HB: It’s time for another small interview. Today we have a special guest being interviewed. Carrying the banner of the Sun and Moon comes the benevolent dictator: TheLandGrave! LandGrave, how are you doing?

I am doing well, H.B.

HB: Is there any interesting origin behind your user name?

Not particularly. I discovered it while researching medieval titles. I’d never seen it before, as opposed to other titles such as Baron and Earl, and you can’t deny it has a certain gravitas.

HB: Well, I learned something new already. Let’s continue. How did you first get into MLP:FiM?

The same as most I assume. A friend of mine mentioned it one day and, not believing him, I watched one episode… I think you know how the rest goes.

HB: Who is your favorite pony and why?

That’s a dangerous question you ask. How am I to choose? Of the show’s regular cast, Rarity is the absolute best. No matter your opinion of the ponies themselves, her episodes are objectively the best of the show and, really, how can you not love this?
Fabulous Dropbox But if we are including everypony, there is only one right answer to that...

HB: I’ve seen your user page, but for consistency… what is your favorite shipping and why?

And here it is. Lunestia is my favorite ship and my two favorite ponies.
They are, in every way, a perfect dichotomy. Night and Day. Dark and Light. They complete each other, need each other, no matter the relationship they are cast in. Those who choose one over the other fail to truly understand them and do them a grievous disservice.

HB: Are there any authors that you look up to, Fimfiction or IRL?

Terry Pratchett was one of the greatest writers ever. Terry Goodkind was a major influence for a long time, though that slipped as his series passed its climax. Robert Jordan, G.R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, K.A. Applegate really got me into reading, though, so I would be remiss to not mention her as well.
As to the fandom writers, Nom_deChavel introduced me to Princest, so I have to give him a great deal of praise. Others include many of the greats such as Skywriter, Cold in Gardez, GhostOfHeraclitus, Bad Horse, Estee. One of the most under-rated authors here is 8686, who writes some of the best show quality stories I’ve ever read (in terms of content, topics, and characterizations). I could go on, but those are the ones I can think of without diving into my list.

HB: Okay, let’s get into the reason I’m interviewing you. Recently you finished up a story called Cuori Intrecciati which is a sequel to Sogni Infetti. These are Princest fics. And they are very good. However, I wouldn’t classify them as clopfics as I see it as a story with a series of sexual encounters, rather than a series of sexual encounters with a story… if that makes any sense. My question: what compelled you to initially write Sogni Infetti?

Sogni Infetti is the direct result of reading Eternally Loved and a few other Lunestia stories that touched on the taboo, but only just, both Princesses quickly casting aside reservations in favor of getting straight to the sex. I grew tired of that angle.
The context of the sex is 70% of the appeal to me. A great scene of clop is nothing if I don’t have the background information to feel some level of emotion between the ponies. (Of course, after reading it the first time, I generally skip straight to the action, but that’s neither here nor there.) I felt that by hand-waving the taboo, they were really selling the romance short, losing perhaps the greatest display of their mutual affection. They feel the disgust at what they are doing, but, at the same time, even that can’t keep them apart.

HB: For a first attempt at sexy horse words, Sogni Infetti went very well, but what I really want to talk about is the sequel Cuori Intrecciati. At what point did you decide you wanted to write a sequel?

The idea sparked immediately, or at least the vague idea of what it would be about. Once again, it was incited by the total lack of consequences. Even in the best stories, no one wanted to go against the grain and have Celestia and Luna’s relationship cause serious problems. Even Nom_deChevel’s ‘Who Rules’ series dealt with the issue rather quickly, a single story without lasting damage as a result, or even being the central focus of the story.
So, I asked myself, ‘What is the worst thing that could happen?” The answer was, of course, Twilight falling for Luna. In the original iteration, Twilight and Celestia were going to have an old-fashioned duel for Luna’s affections, for pretty obvious reasons, that was thrown aside.

HB: Was there any chapter(s) that you particularly had a hard time writing?

I'm sure my readers could answer this as well as I. The last two chapters were especially hard for me to write, each taking multiple months despite their relatively short length. I had been going at a pretty decent pace up till that point, getting nearly a chapter out a month with those last two taking about six months between them.

HB: What was the hardest part about writing Cuori Intrecciati overall?

It is very difficult to write good arguments and disagreements. Many fall into the trap of letting your own beliefs color and control the flow, making it obvious to the readers who they are ‘supposed to’ root for. It was very important to me that I not do that. For me, assuming I did my job well, who you sided with says more about you as a reader than it does about the characters. My comment section is filled with people who hated how Celestia and Luna reacted, but just as many despised Twilight’s reactions. So I counted that as a success.

HB: I can see how writing a balanced argument could prove tricky, especially considering the subject. But I think you pulled it off well enough to piss off both sides and that’s a gold star in my book.

Yes, well, despite what I just said, I would only count it as a silver. While I may have been successful in not letting my personal feelings sway things, I did not pull things off quite the way I would have liked. My preference was that everyone feel that crushing weight of despair over the inevitable outcome. Indeed, Noble Thought's recent story 'Three Words' does this very well. Though the context and story structure are radically different, it still deals with two ponies who, no matter how much they wanted otherwise, could not reconcile their relationship.

HB: Learn from others as they say. Speaking of learning, I got to ask: what is the deal with the titles? They sound Italian, but what do they mean and what prompted you to name them this way?

They are Italian. I was studying Italian when I started writing them and I randomly decided that the Princesses’ language—pre-Equestria—was Italian. When I started writing, I wanted a title that would stand out above and beyond being meaningful and interesting, and when I saw the translation, I knew I had something.
Sogni Infetti means Infected Dreams, referencing both the ‘tainted’ dreams Celestia had for her sister and the way Luna’s own were twisted simply by witnessing them.
Cuori Intrecciati means Intertwined (or Twisted) Hearts, referencing both how Celestia, Luna, and Twilight were connected to each other.

HB: I’m learning so much today, and to think there was so much hidden meaning to the titles I never knew.

HB: You’ve stated in your blog that you will be taking a break from the sequel to Cuori Intrecciati for the time being. While it saddens me and makes me want to cut my teeth over the cliff-hanger ending, I respect your decision and understand your reasons. Not really a question, but I wanted to get it out there so I don’t have to ask when to expect the third entry.

I understand your frustration. The honest truth is that, despite how long I’ve been entertaining the idea of a third story—and the number of story hooks scattered throughout—I haven’t a clue on how to continue it. I know what I want, but I haven’t been able to find an interesting story to get me from A to B.

HB: I’m sure you’ll find a way in good time, but let’s finish this off on a more inspirational note. LandGrave, what words of wisdom do you have to offer to the impressionable young writers potentially reading this?

It’s dangerous to go alone, so don’t. Find someone to work with, even if all they do is act as a sounding board. Your story will be vastly improved by having an editor/pre-reader/friend who can help you with your story.

HB: An excellent suggestion LandGrave, and with that, I must wrap things up. Thank you for your time; it has been a pleasure.

You’re welcome.

HB: Folks, that was TheLandGrave. Be sure to check out his page and if you want a dramatic Lunestia story, go read Sogni Infetti and Cuori Intrecciati. Both are well worth your time, just mind the tags and the ratings; they are there for a reason.
This is Hesitant Brony, signing off.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1