Satyrs 309 members · 30 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

So, hair color, eye color, and features. What would be pulled from each side?

Would a unicorn born Satyr have a horn? Would a satyr with a human mother have many differences from one with a pony mother?

Discuss?

You could always apply the Elder Scrolls rule of race mixing, in which the mother's genetics take precedence the vast majority of the time. For instance a pairing of a pegasus mare and a human male would be most likely produce a pegasus satyr child. However, I think the mare's ancestry would affect the odds of the satyr being a pegasus as well. Like if the mare comes from a tribally diverse family or not.

Personally I think the genetics would be a largely unpredictable factor. Granted that's assuming magic doesn't come into play...

I say roll the dice

Hmm. Given the amount of magic involved just to make satyrs work biologically, I like the idea of the magic level of the womb playing a major role in determining the child's supernatural characteristics. Those with pony mothers would have functional wings or horns or... enormous hooves? Friggin' earth ponies...

That's not to say that human women couldn't bring satyrs to term. But such satyrs wouldn't be as... grandiose, shall we say. Those with pegasus fathers might have vestigial wings and unicorn-sired satyrs might have a keratinous nub on their foreheads, but flight and complex spellcasting probably wouldn't be an option. Cloud walking and basic effects like weak telekinesis would, though. Earth satyrs would have subtle enough magic that they might not be noticeably affected by the difference, allowing Darcy to operate at maximum awesome.

My inner game designer wants to add some kind of balance here. Maybe pony-born satyrs aren't as mentally stable as their human-born counterparts. Maybe the human-born ones can cultivate their magic to greater effectiveness. Maybe life is just unfair sometimes.

As for eye and hair color, I think they would fall somewhere between the parents, and I mean that literally. Blue eyes plus red eyes could very well lead to purple. Similarly, if a blonde human and a pony with a blue mane have a kid, there's a decent chance of that child having green hair. Coat color is also considered, and with rainbow manes, it's anyone's guess. Pony-born satyrs might be a bit brighter than human-born ones, but not by much.

One more interesting consideration: cutie marks. The relevant region is equine. Could satyrs get them? I'm honestly not sure there...

I'd level out the magicalness between the ponyborn and the humanborn, but I would agree that any horn would most likely be vestigial.

Human born satyrs would probably have better body control and hand-eye coordination, while ponyborn would would more than likely have better control over wings or magic, or for the earth-pony stronger or denser muscle mass.

How I handled the hair for the Vinyl story (Or how I would have) I was going to have the first child have Vinyl's haircolor, and the second be blonde as the father.

Yeah, that works a lot better. Any headcanon I have in this regard is still under construction.

Twifan
Group Admin

My own thoughts on it would be the magic used in the creation of the satyrs would take random parts from both parents, but favoring more of the mother side for color of hair and eyes and other features.

Horns, wings and such would depend on where they've grown up in. We've seen that Equestria is a land filled with magic, and if taken away the pegasus are unable to fly at all. Satyrs could be born without wings or horns, but as they grow up in a magical environment they could grow functional wings and magic horns. On the other hand, growing up on a place like earth they may never gain such magical abilities, but instead become more resistant to magical influences and effects than their parents or other satyrs that grew up in Equestria.

My Satyr character has a horn.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8