Good Grammar Directory 633 members · 1,980 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
joe mother
Group Admin

Something I'm worrying about right now is that even if the first 500 words pass the inspection to be included in the Directory, it still doesn't make the story have good grammar. The rest of the story could be full of bad grammar and other technical issues. So, how should we go about making sure that the stories that get inducted have consistent good grammar?

I'm thinking that we should read the whole story and spot errors from there, and if it's really bad or subpar, we don't let it in.

joe mother
Group Admin

This occurred to me after looking over a submission, pointing out the things needed to be fixed to be included in this group, and realized that the rest of the story probably had these errors as well. :raritycry::raritydespair:

1207255 We could have a team of people who proofread incoming stories.

joe mother
Group Admin

I'd volunteer for that!

However, proofreading should just mean that they read for grammar and if it isn't worth submitting, they can just say that the submission was rejected due to poor grammar and/or syntax. I don't think telling them all the problems would be easy enough or efficient enough. It would take to long to get through submissions if that was the case.

I guess we can make some Google docs that have lists of people who are willing to proofread submissions.

1207301 I'd definitely volunteer as well.

I mean, it's not like I have anything more helpful to do.

Ninja Kraken
Group Admin

I'd say that we should give it a general check, not just the first 500 words.
Though usually, I'd say I can tell if something has egregiously bad grammar within the first bit of reading, and if I can't, I'll read a bit more.

If you choose your prereaders carefully, you can make it up to the discretion of the prereader, and then have people able to complain if they feel that the prereader was unfair, and handle complaints on a case-by-case basis. Afterward, prereaders who are in the wrong on too many fics should be removed as prereaders.
If the system doesn't work, we can always overhaul it, so I think this might be worth a try.

joe mother
Group Admin

Head on over to my newest thread and read that one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8