Sunset Shimmer 4,926 members · 6,759 stories
Comments ( 53 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 53

I'm not saying that the Lauren Faust / DHX faction specifically undertook to cater to bronies before they existed, but I am saying that they deliberately took the show in a more G1 direction, while the toymakers (I suspect) wanted to stick with G3/G3.5 -- something that, for all its faults, would at least never worry the more neurotic type of parents.

It's definitely the case that the toymakers assign a lot of value to the older generations; there was an EqD feature, on one of the recent toy fairs, that said as much. I think your theory's very likely: maybe it's not that the toymakers (and/or the high executives?) won't match strides with DHX, but that they can't... and that they're in charge of creative direction anyways. That would certainly give the impression of a steadily escalating feud.

(Edit: And what most made me think that the toymakers and DHX actively didn't like each other was the profoundly unhelpful description on Sunset Shimmer's box, which I noticed you'd mentioned in another thread...)

Fluttershy as unwilling markspony makes an enormous amount of sense. I also endorse the Estee/Triptych theory that she's an impossibly good poker player, though it's less likely that we'll see that in the movies. :)

As for "our tastes" and EqG:Hunger Games... the fandom evidently likes it, but count me out. Just reading descriptions of the Hunger Games series on TVTropes horrified me to the point of physical nausea.

the profoundly unhelpful description on Sunset Shimmer's box, which I noticed you'd mentioned in another thread...

Unhelpful? I love that description! It's full of spoilers yet gives you the completely wrong idea!

As for "our tastes" and EqG:Hunger Games... the fandom evidently likes it, but count me out. Just reading descriptions of the Hunger Games series on TVTropes horrified me to the point of physical nausea.

You don't read the books, you watch the movies. And not for the plot, but for the main protag. Imagine Hayden Christensen somehow being so good an actor he saves Lucas' dreck of a trilogy and makes it kind of awesome on his shoulders alone. That's what Jennifer Lawrence literally did for the HG movies.

Unhelpful? I love that description! It's full of spoilers yet gives you the completely wrong idea!

I agree; it's the funniest sort of unhelpful I've ever seen. I'm literally laughing out loud just remembering it...

You don't read the books, you watch the movies. And not for the plot, but for the main protag. Imagine Hayden Christensen somehow being so good an actor he saves Lucas' dreck of a trilogy and makes it kind of awesome on his shoulders alone. That's what Jennifer Lawrence literally did for the HG movies.

That certainly explains a lot! Put that way, I'm definitely thinking about watching the movies -- and even if not, now I understand why people do (and why Nerf Rebelle sales are good enough that they're bleeding over into MLP).

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 53