Collegia Arcana 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 142 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 142
Stone Knight
Group Admin

Please take a magic dampening amulet from the bowl near the door and find your seats. Tonight we cover Mentalism.

This is going to be an interesting night.

*Grabs magic dampening amulet*
I'm here.

This should be very interesting.

*takes an amulet*
*begins to observe it*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Also, if your devices have timers and you are able to use them, bring them up. We'll be doing a quick exercise.

Devices? You mean these things? *holds up an amulet*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Whatever it is you are using to communicate. That is not a device, it is an amulet.

Are you absolutely sure?

You mean there's a timer on my communication crystal? *begins fiddling with it*

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Yes. These are useful in more ways than one. I've used them myself.

Alright, I've got a timer then.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

And let us begin! Can anyone tell me why you all are wearing amulets?

Ah, there we go. Found it!

Is there going to be a demonstration?

To protect ourselves from magic we don't understand.

Are we actually going to be using the magic of Mentalists in this lecture?

Do we have a Mentalist in the room right now?

Am I the Mentalist? Wouldn't that be a plot twist! M. Night Shyamalan would be proud.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The reason we are using amulets is because of the very nature of Mentalism, that being the magic of the mind. Inspiration, concepts, and ideas are all very dangerous in the hands of an unskilled Mentalist, because Mentalism is exactly what it sounds like, the magic of the mind.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

A prospective one, yes. Of course, all of you have potential, but there is a danger there.

So we are using mind magic this time around?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Right. So, what's the difference between the type of work Clerics do and the type Mentalists do?

The use of binding or breaking magic?

Clerics seek to aid those who are in need of it and consent to their help. Mentalists seek to ferret out the truth from those who's lies would bring great harm to the innocent.

So far, all I know is that they can work in similar fields.

Clerics are more for the calming of emotional and mental states whereas Mentalists just barge in with really a care to the state the subject is or try to break the state the subject is in?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

You are all correct, and all have part of the larger picture. The key word is consent. Mentalists practice on those who cannot or will not consent, though Clerical Disciplines can be used on the unaware or unwilling. More than that, though, is the emphasis placed on the Mind as opposed to the Heart. Mentalists tend to either be very cold and calculating individuals, or fragile beings with little tolerance for large groups of people.

They sound like wonderful individuals to invite to a party.

An all mentalist party would be swell.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Should you manage to truly befriend a Mentalist, you will find them to be among the truest and most steadfast of companions. It's rare they can relax and be themselves around another person.

And "It's a deadman's party" just started playing in my head.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

The final School of Magic is possibly the most infamous, its arts shrouded in secrecy and their gatherings almost always hidden, both because of their nature and their constant persecution. Mentalists are considered to be Empathic in nature, but in fact, they are masters of the mind, laying in complement to their cousins the Clerics. Few in number, cloaked in shadow, these spellcasters specialize in many different types of mental magic, but only five of their Major Disciplines are known, and those only to the ones who choose to join their ranks and learn what are called the Moon’s Mysteries.

The first Discipline we shall cover is the Discipline of Possession, that of transferring consciousness from a body to another object, including the body of another. Those who are able to perform this task are known as “Travelers”, and are able to create a great many useful things, including “soulcatchers”, gems which trap consciousness in case of grievous injury, or constructs, though it takes a true master of Mentalism to create one that can last for long. In addition to transferring their consicousnesses into another object, the proficient Traveler is able to separate their mind from their body and roam as free energy.

While the potential for abuse is obvious and very real, we must consider the good that can be done by Travelers. Many a life is owed to them, as they are able to store the minds of others who have been hurt until they are able to inhabit their own bodies once more, or failing that, hold them until they can wish their loved ones well and pass on. Unfortunately, a consciousness cannot survive out of a body for long, and without very proper care in a transference, the mind will begin to deteriorate at a rapid rate. Mentalists have tried to gain a sort of immortality by moving themselves into new constructs, but the mind loses pieces of itself each time. Most can no longer function after their first permanent transference, and soon leave this world.

What about all those Readers that become mental therapists? :unsuresweetie:

Why is it difficult for Mentalists to make friends, aside from the obvious stigma that Mentalists will crush your mind and devour your soul?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Like I said, they tend to. It's different for each individual. Most Mentalists spend time away from cities.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Because Mentalists can crush you with a stray thought. It makes people just a bit nervous.

How close is this practice to Liches and their soul phylacteries?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Not at all close. Soulcatchers are temporary solutions, at best.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Now, we will need to talk about each of these when we are through. Understood?

I should think so. Making yourself (or someone else) into a Lich is punishable by re-death, right?

Stone Knight
Group Admin

With prejudice.

Is it the "Power is responsibility" talk?

You know, I'd almost think keeping them forever trapped in their phylacteries eternally would be fitting punishment. Of course you would have to keep track of where it gets put.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Something like that. More of a lecture on morality.

Stone Knight
Group Admin

Next are the Whisperers, those who practice the art of Mental and Emotional Unbalancing. These magic users are capable of introducing thoughts into the minds of others, from a desire to turn left instead of right to a sudden urge to throw themselves off of a cliff. Most Whisperers manage to find homes working with the mentally ill, coaxing them back to reality by speaking directly with their minds, holding conversations with their charges until they have reached a point where a more skilled doctor can bring them back to themselves.

In addition to this, practitioners of Unbalancing occasionally gather for an event known as a Whispering, in which they all begin to broadcast their thoughts at once, until they are able to coalesce into one mind, thinking as one while maintaining their individuality. This enables the group, known as a Convene, to check for signs of corruption and share what they have learned. Traditionally, a Whispering is an annual event which takes place at the Autumn Solstice, the point at which Winter and the Moon have begun their ascendancy. Convenes are usually very isolated and come together rarely, and choose their members carefully. To be asked into a Convene is an honor of the highest order.

Actually that isn't much of an option. The phylactery may store their soul, but they can constantly keep manifesting a corporeal form as long as it stays intact. And don't ask me how I know this... Grandpa why...

So the Whisperers are somewhat like Strummers?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 142